Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
whysalives
Sophomore

Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

I have bypassed my router with a direct cable connection to the modem, turned off web acceleration, reset the MBX, and have attempted rebooting the modem.  The problem is across computers, users, and browsers.  I have attempted shuting off windows firewall and antivirus.  All to no avail.  Yesterday, while in the middle of browsing Amazon, images suddenly stopped loading.  Today, in addition to few or no images, Amazon tries to load at a snails pace but the CSS never fully loads.  This problem ONLY occures with Amazon and only started occuring yesterday.  I have attempted clearing cookies and cache and uninstalled all extensions and tried incongnito mode and tried both chrome and explorer, but as I said, this problem is either at the modem or upstream from it.  It doesn't matter if I'm using my laptop on wi-fi, my tower with network cable, any windows user, any browser, the problem persists.  It only affects Amazon.com.

amazon.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning everyone,

Just got word that Amazon should be working properly now. If you made any workaround changes, please revert back to your original settings and give it a test run.

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

After a couple of trouble free days shopping on Amazon, the problem returned.  I followed the same procedure as before and it appears to have resolved the issue, for the time being.  I did a trace to Amazon while connected thru the router, both before and after the fix.

Before:

problem_returned_trace_with_router.jpg

And After:

problem_returned_trace_with_router_fixed.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to do a trace without the router prior to the fix, but I did take a trace without the router after.

problem_returned_trace_no_router_fixed.jpg

Personally, I have no idea what the rest of you might see in these tea leaves.  If the problem persists, I'll continue to remove steps from the solution to narrow it down.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Haven't had the Amazon problem today, myself, but I ran the traceroute just for the heck of it.  Looks a lot different, though I don't know what any of it means.  

Capture.PNG

Same here, after a few days of trouble-free Amazon shopping, I'm unable to utilize the service, once more.  It's frustrating having to reboot the modem over and over.  Also, I noticed other web sites having similar problems until I reboot the modem, then they all appear normal again.  I gather it's a technical glitch on the HughesNet end?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Personally don't care for the HughesNet DNS servers, I use the Google public ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. No idea if anything to do with the problem but throwing it out here. Have'nt had this kind of problem for a long time since I switched servers.

Google's DNS tend to work better, but are sometimes spoofed. Just need to be careful that you don't get re-routed to some sketchy part of the dark web.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

Google's DNS tend to work better, but are sometimes spoofed. Just need to be careful that you don't get re-routed to some sketchy part of the dark web.

Yep, one good thing about Chrome is it usually opens a new tab when redirected and I kill it immediately. Never visited the true dark web and no wish to. A bit like visiting North Korea IMO, why would one want to.

The "dark" web is called that for a reason.

Back to the real issue, I don't have the issues this topic brings up. I've used Google DNS servers for years now, I do remember issues back when I used default HughesNet servers. Sorry HughesNet. Smiley Sad

Problem reoccured again today.  I didn't bother clearing cookies or cache, I didn't turn off any firewalls, and I didn't turn off any anti-virus.  This time I just reboot the modem, router, and my laptop, all at once and in that order, using the built-in "reboot" buttons in their respective web browser interfaces. That solved the problem, again, for the time being.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Personally don't care for the HughesNet DNS servers, I use the Google public ones, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. No idea if anything to do with the problem but throwing it out here. Have'nt had this kind of problem for a long time since I switched servers.

For me, very oddly, and still, the problem doesn't seem to crop up nearly as much when using Hughesnet's DNS.  Normally I use Google's, but on a whim I changed it back to Hughesnet's just to see what would happen, and since doing so I haven't had the problem pop up nearly as much.  Just once or twice since changing, whereas usually it would happen more often than not when going to Amazon.  That's not a joke.  It was awful.    

With that said, though, my issue may be a little different than the OP's, or even others that are posting, as when I would have the problem the page wouldn't load at all.  It would give me an error.  This is with a desktop using Windows 10 FCU and Chrome.  But, as to why Hughesnet's DNS seems to work better for me, at least when it comes to Amazon, I'm stumped, as Google's should be the one to work better when going by the general success rate between the two.  

Here's what I see when it happens, and again, no joke, it used to happen more often than not.  This problem started for me about four months ago.  But, with that said, I changed back to Hughesnet's DNS around the time of the W10 FCU, so that may have something to do with it, too.  The following is a snapshot from a few weeks ago.  

21104286_1645214138830949_701823163_o.png

Two different things, yet related.
One is where the site couldn't be reached (main URL https://www.amazon.com didn't resolve).

Other is where one or more of the stylesheets couldn't be downloaded (css URL https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com didn't resolve) to render the main page correctly.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

It's interesting to note that once in a while I'll see the same type of issue the OP and others are seeing when I go to Walmart's site.  The page will load, but it will be thoroughly messed up, with text and links often all down the left side of the page and no pictures loading.  This has actually been happening for a few years with Walmart, and I've always assumed it was their problem, not mine, as I've never had the same problems anywhere else.  

Just the other day they lost a sale from me because their home page was doing this.  

I've never been a Walmart fan, but not the reasons you state. I've stepped foot in one out of necessity just once.

For what it's worth, have similar problem with Amazon.  After having spent quite a bit of time trying to resolve it, including powering the satellite modem down, then up again, with no success, someone in this thread mentioned the "reset" button on the modem.  So, having tried a lot of other things and even after having powered it off then on with no success, I did use the "reset" button on the modem and somehow that fixed the problem.  Don't know for how long, but at least it's clear where the problem resides.  Just for info.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

We're having the same issue with Amazon as others.  Going to try to reboot the modem, etc.  Will report back.

GabeU

@pateleighton wrote:

We're having the same issue with Amazon as others.  Going to try to reboot the modem, etc.  Will report back.

Rebooting the modem may help, but flushing the DNS might, as well.  Make sure that when you reboot the modem you unplug it at the wall socket, not the back of the modem.  

Problem reoccured again today.  This time I tried just rebooting the modem (from the web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did not solve the problem.  So then I tried just rebooting the router (from the web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did solve the problem, for the time being.

Next time I will attempt rebooting just the router and laptop first.

I should point out that if it keeps recurring for a specific site, such as Amazon, it's quite possible a rogue site or rogue ad is likely spoofing that local DNS entry... that includes some of those embedded "mraid" ads you get in phone apps.

And, before anyone says that they can't, I'm dealing with a ad company (to remain nameless) that rotates ads through some javascript code. They didn't know that one of their ads forwards to another malicious ad that captures the site (e.g., not a popup) for a phony Amazon Gift Card that's only targeted to Apple iPhones. Two guesses what else it does, and the first one don't count...IMG_0132.PNG

Problem reoccured, second time today.  This time I tried just rebooting the router (from web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did not solve the problem.  I then reboot the modem (from web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.

So it appears all three need to be reboot, but no issues doing that from the web interfaces.

"Two guesses what else it does"

First guess:

It asks for personal information and access to your facebook page.  It spams your facebook friends with the same ad and releases your information to third parties for "special" offers.

Second guess:

It drops the firewall and installs a keylogger.

πŸ””πŸ””πŸ””

You win πŸ‘πŸΌ

GabeU

@MarkJFine

Though this is a little off topic, if I had all of those $50 Amazon Gift cards that I supposedly won I'd be a rich man.  Every day there's another one or two in my spam, and every day it's a new domain, so blocking them is practically impossible.  Still, it's somewhat comical how many I'm supposed to have won over time.  Hundreds. πŸ˜› 

Capture.JPG