Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whysalives
Sophomore

Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

I have bypassed my router with a direct cable connection to the modem, turned off web acceleration, reset the MBX, and have attempted rebooting the modem.  The problem is across computers, users, and browsers.  I have attempted shuting off windows firewall and antivirus.  All to no avail.  Yesterday, while in the middle of browsing Amazon, images suddenly stopped loading.  Today, in addition to few or no images, Amazon tries to load at a snails pace but the CSS never fully loads.  This problem ONLY occures with Amazon and only started occuring yesterday.  I have attempted clearing cookies and cache and uninstalled all extensions and tried incongnito mode and tried both chrome and explorer, but as I said, this problem is either at the modem or upstream from it.  It doesn't matter if I'm using my laptop on wi-fi, my tower with network cable, any windows user, any browser, the problem persists.  It only affects Amazon.com.

amazon.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning everyone,

Just got word that Amazon should be working properly now. If you made any workaround changes, please revert back to your original settings and give it a test run.

Thank you,

Amanda

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update, I know I have not given one in a while here. Engineers have found the cause and I am actively tracking their progress on it. I will give you updates as I get them!

~Amanda

@GabeU

I get them as well. Very generic and widely propagated spam scheme.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Now that I have a quick and reliable means of correcting the issue, I've turned my attention to the trigger, and I believe I found it.

My daughter recently started playing at AnimalJam.com.

It doesn't matter if she logs in from my laptop or the tower, either way, Amazon gets borked.  I haven't a clue as to why and I'm at a bit of a dead end for what to do about it.  Suggestions welcome.

An ad blocker is what I would suggest. Just wish there was something for phones/tablets for all the mraid stuff.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I have installed Ad Blocker Ultimate from the Chrome web store.  I made sure Amazon was loading properly, then logged in to Animal Jam, then back to Amazon.  No issues.  But here is the weird part.  The chrome browser on the tower doesn't have ad blocker installed.  Yet it doesn't cause the issue any longer either.  In fact, Animal Jam is National Geographic and subscription based, which is to say it does not contain ads.  Ad blocker doesn't indicate any ads at Animal Jam, but it does show a lot of ads blocked at Amazon.  I'll have to run a couple more tests, but at the moment, it looks like an ad at Amazon was conflicting with my laptop and sharing that conflict with the router.  Animal Jam was stumbling over it, but the results don't show up on Animal Jam, they show up back at Amazon.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I might have to keep an eye on AdBlocker Ultimate.  I have Adblock Plus, which is pretty much what's usually recommended and is used by a slew of people, but AdBlocker Ultimate looks interesting.  Maybe I'll give it a try on my laptop and see how it compares.   

Hi everyone,

I will be finding out more today on the status of resolving this.

On a side note, I use both Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin. I feel uBlock is very aggressive in auto-closing unwanted browser tabs before they can hijack your browser.

~Amanda

@Amanda, thanks for the update!  Amazon is so messed up when I login I've been shopping at Target (brick and mortar), instead.  

Sure thing! Well, so far it is the same status, it is being worked on. I will keep you updated as always.

~Amanda

GabeU

@Amanda wrote:

On a side note, I use both Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin. I feel uBlock is very aggressive in auto-closing unwanted browser tabs before they can hijack your browser.

I used to use uBlock Origin, as well, but forgot to add it back in after performing a clean install of the W10 Fall Creators Update.  I didn't realize it helped with this, so I'm going to reinstall it immediately.  Thanks for the inadvertent reminder.  🙂  

Good morning everyone,

Just got word that Amazon should be working properly now. If you made any workaround changes, please revert back to your original settings and give it a test run.

Thank you,

Amanda

@Amanda,

Yes, mine is working now!  Thank you!!!!!!!  Man Very Happy

Thank you for the feedback Gil!

Just wanted to check in with everyone who posted here about being unable to load Amazon properly. Has this been resolved for everyone?

~Amanda

A small bump... In instances like this we like to give our engineers feedback to let them know they are successfully solving problems when changes are made. It's been a while since I heard anything from anyone in this thread aside from Gil, so we will assume this was resolved. If you continue to have trouble loading content on Amazon please create a new thread.

Thank you,

Amanda

GabeU

@RAL

Please do not utilize the reset button unless instructed to do so by a tech or rep.  Doing so can cause more harm than good, and harm that may require a tech visit to fix, of which you would be responsible for paying.  Again, please leave the reset button alone.   

@CORROSIVE

Sorry for the delay.  I thought the problem was resolved, reason I haven't been checking out the forum.  Unfortunately, it was short-lived.  Yes, as HS pointed out, I'm seeing the exact screen image that whysalives's uploaded, garbled text with no images on Amazon.  However in my case, rebooting the modem always resolves the issue, at least temporarily, then it reoccurs all over again.