cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Okay, I decided to throw everything at it at once.  I unplugged the modem, router, and dish.  I shutdown and restarted the laptop.  I connected the modem directly to the laptop and turned everything back on.  I reset the MBX, turned off web acceleration, disabled windows anti virus and windows firewall for both public and private networks.  I then cleared my cache and cookies and loaded amazon.com with control-shift for full refresh.

Viola!  It worked.

I've turned the router back on, went back to wireless, turned on my anti virus and firewall, and turned web accelaration back on.  Amazon.com is loading properly!

No idea what happened there.

Highlighted
Sophomore

For completeness, here is my current trace from my wireless laptop, now that everything is working:

trace_with_router_fixed.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@whysalives wrote:

Here is a trace with a direct cable connection from the modem to my laptop:

trace_no_router.jpg

For some reason that trace doesn't strike me as normal... Not used to seeing a lot of in-addr.arpa entries like that.

All that aside, it could have been anything really... Amazon, DNS, broken routing somewhere... No telling.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Yeah, almost looks like either qwest or most likely amazon.

Did notice that the IP resolved from 54.239.25.208 before complete reboot to 54.239.17.6 after, so could have also been the local DNS getting stuck on something weird.

Edit: Either way... looks like a team win.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
New Poster

Having the  same issue here; rebooted the modem, same issue on various devices and browsers, nd only affecting Amazon.com

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

For some reason I tend to have a lot of issues with Amazon.  Not much else, but Amazon gives me non connection issues on a semi regular basis.  What I usually do to rectify it is flush the DNS.  It happens most often when I am using Google's DNS, not when I'm using Hughesnet's.  The DNS flush normally does the trick, though the issue does tend to crop back up after a time.  

I don't know what it is about Amazon that causes this, but I don't see it very often with other web sites.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

I had the same problem and did everything you stated to no avail.  However, the only thing I didn't do was to unplug the modem.  So I shut down my laptop, unplugged the modem for several minutes, plugged modem back in, restarted and viola!  Amazon dilemma resolved!  

Update - After several days of trouble-free shopping on Amazon, the problem reoccured.  I'm not technically savvy, but following the OP's advice, rebooting the modem once again (in my case) resolved the issue, at least temporarily.  I've also experienced similar scenarios on other secure web sites (i.e. banking), but rebooting the modem always gets me back in.  It appears to be problematic on HughesNet's end.

Highlighted
New Poster

I've unplugged and rebooted the modem multiple times. I've restarted my PC multiple times. Same with the Mac. Still can't use Amazon. Any other suggestions besides sign up with a different ISP or switch from Amazon to brick and mortar?

Highlighted
Associate Professor
Highlighted
New Poster

My Amazon screen looks the same as whysalives's original screen shot.

Still.Amazon screenshot 2017-10-30_6-35-47.jpg