Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Two different things, yet related.
One is where the site couldn't be reached (main URL https://www.amazon.com didn't resolve).

Other is where one or more of the stylesheets couldn't be downloaded (css URL https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com didn't resolve) to render the main page correctly.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

It's interesting to note that once in a while I'll see the same type of issue the OP and others are seeing when I go to Walmart's site.  The page will load, but it will be thoroughly messed up, with text and links often all down the left side of the page and no pictures loading.  This has actually been happening for a few years with Walmart, and I've always assumed it was their problem, not mine, as I've never had the same problems anywhere else.  

Just the other day they lost a sale from me because their home page was doing this.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

I've never been a Walmart fan, but not the reasons you state. I've stepped foot in one out of necessity just once.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

For what it's worth, have similar problem with Amazon.  After having spent quite a bit of time trying to resolve it, including powering the satellite modem down, then up again, with no success, someone in this thread mentioned the "reset" button on the modem.  So, having tried a lot of other things and even after having powered it off then on with no success, I did use the "reset" button on the modem and somehow that fixed the problem.  Don't know for how long, but at least it's clear where the problem resides.  Just for info.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Spectator

We're having the same issue with Amazon as others.  Going to try to reboot the modem, etc.  Will report back.

Highlighted

@RAL

Please do not utilize the reset button unless instructed to do so by a tech or rep.  Doing so can cause more harm than good, and harm that may require a tech visit to fix, of which you would be responsible for paying.  Again, please leave the reset button alone.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@pateleighton wrote:

We're having the same issue with Amazon as others.  Going to try to reboot the modem, etc.  Will report back.

Rebooting the modem may help, but flushing the DNS might, as well.  Make sure that when you reboot the modem you unplug it at the wall socket, not the back of the modem.  

Highlighted
Sophomore

Problem reoccured again today.  This time I tried just rebooting the modem (from the web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did not solve the problem.  So then I tried just rebooting the router (from the web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did solve the problem, for the time being.

Next time I will attempt rebooting just the router and laptop first.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

I should point out that if it keeps recurring for a specific site, such as Amazon, it's quite possible a rogue site or rogue ad is likely spoofing that local DNS entry... that includes some of those embedded "mraid" ads you get in phone apps.

And, before anyone says that they can't, I'm dealing with a ad company (to remain nameless) that rotates ads through some javascript code. They didn't know that one of their ads forwards to another malicious ad that captures the site (e.g., not a popup) for a phony Amazon Gift Card that's only targeted to Apple iPhones. Two guesses what else it does, and the first one don't count...IMG_0132.PNG