cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Unable to load Amazon, Problem Upstream From Modem

Problem reoccured, second time today.  This time I tried just rebooting the router (from web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.  That did not solve the problem.  I then reboot the modem (from web interface) and my laptop, at the same time.

So it appears all three need to be reboot, but no issues doing that from the web interfaces.

Highlighted
Sophomore

"Two guesses what else it does"

First guess:

It asks for personal information and access to your facebook page.  It spams your facebook friends with the same ad and releases your information to third parties for "special" offers.

Second guess:

It drops the firewall and installs a keylogger.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

🔔🔔🔔

You win 👍🏼

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

Though this is a little off topic, if I had all of those $50 Amazon Gift cards that I supposedly won I'd be a rich man.  Every day there's another one or two in my spam, and every day it's a new domain, so blocking them is practically impossible.  Still, it's somewhat comical how many I'm supposed to have won over time.  Hundreds. Smiley Tongue 

Capture.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update, I know I have not given one in a while here. Engineers have found the cause and I am actively tracking their progress on it. I will give you updates as I get them!

~Amanda

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@GabeU

I get them as well. Very generic and widely propagated spam scheme.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Now that I have a quick and reliable means of correcting the issue, I've turned my attention to the trigger, and I believe I found it.

My daughter recently started playing at AnimalJam.com.

It doesn't matter if she logs in from my laptop or the tower, either way, Amazon gets borked.  I haven't a clue as to why and I'm at a bit of a dead end for what to do about it.  Suggestions welcome.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Associate Professor

An ad blocker is what I would suggest. Just wish there was something for phones/tablets for all the mraid stuff.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I have installed Ad Blocker Ultimate from the Chrome web store.  I made sure Amazon was loading properly, then logged in to Animal Jam, then back to Amazon.  No issues.  But here is the weird part.  The chrome browser on the tower doesn't have ad blocker installed.  Yet it doesn't cause the issue any longer either.  In fact, Animal Jam is National Geographic and subscription based, which is to say it does not contain ads.  Ad blocker doesn't indicate any ads at Animal Jam, but it does show a lot of ads blocked at Amazon.  I'll have to run a couple more tests, but at the moment, it looks like an ad at Amazon was conflicting with my laptop and sharing that conflict with the router.  Animal Jam was stumbling over it, but the results don't show up on Animal Jam, they show up back at Amazon.