Hughesnet Community

Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyinMontana
New Poster

Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

Hello.  I'm new here, but certainly not new to HughesNet.  I've been a customer for several years, and have experienced the ups and downs of satellite internet.  

For the past few weeks, I've noticed that I've been unable to load certain websites (Facebook, Instagram, etc.).  It's not a huge problem as I use these websites sparingly anyway, however, I find it odd because I can stream movies on Amazon Prime.  One would think if my connection is good enough to stream (without really much buffering), it should be good enough to load websites.  

I've rebooted several times as I've learned over the years that sometimes that magically "fixes" issues.  Not the case here.  Can someone help?

26 REPLIES 26
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@AmyinMontana 

Is this happening on all of your devices that you have connected to your HughesNet service?  Is the failure a time out, or are you getting some type of failure to open notice fairly quickly?

Though this may not matter, flushing your DNS cache may help, though this should happen when you shut down the device.  To do so on a Windows based computer, close all open browser windows, then open your Command prompt and type, without the quotes, "ipconfig /flushdns", then hit enter.  There IS a space between the g and the forward slash (/). After you hit enter you should get a confirmation notice.  Then, close your Command prompt, open a browser page, and try again.  

If this doesn't help, and if you have the HT1000, HT1100 or HT2000W modem (Gen4/5 modems), what do you see for your Satellite Name and your Beam ID on this page?  Both will be in the Satellite box on the lower right of the page.  

Thanks for the reply, GabeU.  

Yes, it's happening on all devices connected to HughesNet service.  The failure isn't a normal "internet isn't working" error, rather the page just continues to load, without ever loading.  I don't believe I ever even receive an actual error message.  On my iphone Facebook will "kind of" load, but not in any sort of usable format (i.e., pics/comments won't load).

I tried flushing my DNS cache about a week ago after trying to follow some advice here, but it didn't help.

My modem says it's an HN9000.

Amy

GabeU

@AmyinMontana 

It's possible that there is some type of issue with an upstream provider that is not allowing some sites to be connected to, though when this happens it tends to affect a number of people.  The HN9000 is the one system I've never had with HughesNet, so I'm not familiar with its System Control Center layout or controls in order to be able to know where to find anything that may be of importance.  

There are a few people on here that are familiar with networking and such, and they may be able to help, or at least help to determine what may be causing the issue, even if it's something that can't be fixed by any of your fellow subscribers, like me.  One thing I can suggest is running a traceroute to Facebook or Instagram, or one of the other sites you're having an issue with, then posting a snapshot of the results.  You can run a traceroute by again bringing up the Command prompt, then typing, without the quotes, "tracert facebook.com", then hit enter and let it run.  It will probably take a bit to finish.  Then, when it's done, use Windows' built in snipping tool or screen snapshot to get a pic of the results to post.  You can post a pic by clicking on the Photos button at the top of the message body and uploading such.  

Again, this is probably only going to help to show where the problem may be.  The HughesNet reps, though, who are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, and who usually reply within a working day, will most likely be able to give you a more definitive answer, as they'll be able to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, as well as being able to troubleshoot more thoroughly.

Thanks again, GabeU. This morning when I checked, Facebook almost opened - and by that I mean that the top header of the webpage opened, but no content.  I could see my notifications, etc, but no pictures or targeted advertising.

I'll provide the results of the traceroute to HughesNet if/when someone contacts me tomorrow.

Two possible issues:
1. When you flushed the DNS, did you shut down your computers/devices before rebooting the router? Did you reboot the router at all? If not, you may want to go through the procedure again.

2. There could also be a problem at Equinix, which is your ground station's provider. Their routing to Facebook in hops 9-12 seem a little erratic.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks, MarkJFine.

1. Yes, I did shut down my computer when I flushed the DNS.  Just to be clear, to "reboot" I simply unplugged at the wall, the HughesNet modem, waited a bit, then plugged back in.  Also I unplugged my wifi and replugged.  Is that what you mean by "reboot".  Also, as a side, I have tried bypassing wifi and plugging the Ethernet cord directly into my laptop.

2. If it's a problem with Equinix, is that something HughesNet can address?

Thanks,

Amy

1. Your procedure for a 9000 would be different than the newer modems with the built in wifi. I don't think you have to unplug the 9000 at all. What you should do is:
a. make sure all the computers and devices that are using the router are powered off,

b. then make sure the router is powered off,

c. then repower the router (yes, this is what I meant by rebooting)

d. wait a minute, then restart your computers.

2. They can try to poke Equinix in the eye, but that doesn't always work. Upstream providers rarely accept blame.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I don't see a power button, so I followed the instructions provided except I unplugged the HughesNet router.  No dice.

I'm confused. The HN9000 doesn't have wifi. I thought you said you had wifi?

Either you have a wifi-capable router connected to the HN9000 modem (which doesn't have a router - I don't think), or you don't and you're just using an ethernet cable connected directly to the modem without a router. In the case of the former, the router needs to be rebooted. If it's the latter, then forget what I said.

Bottom line is that rebooting the modem won't necessarily help you because I don't think it has any DNS caching to get corrupted (if that's the problem that we're trying to fix).

You are correct.  The HN9000 does NOT have wifi.  I misspoke earlier when I said HughesNet router.  I actually meant HughesNet modem, but I did also reboot my wifi router at the same time (with my computer off), but this did not fix the problem.

GabeU

@AmyinMontana 

For the sake of redundancy, here's what I would try.  

1.  Shut down your devices. 

2.  Turn off (if there's a power switch), then unplug the router.   

3.  Unplug the HN9000 modem at the power brick or the wall outlet (NOT at the back of the modem).  

4.  After waiting at least a minute, plug the HN9000 modem back in. 

5.  After waiting at least five minutes, plug the router back in and turn it back on.   

6.  After waiting at least five minutes, turn your computer on.  After waiting for the computer to be fully up and ready, try one of the web pages.  

I'm using the one minute and five minute times to be sure that the devices are fully de-powered, then fully up after being re-powered.  I don't know that these lengths of time are required, but it will ensure those things mentioned.  

Again, this is only for redundancy, as I know you've already tried some things to flush the DNS cache.  I don't know that this will fix anything (with any luck it might), but after this we'll at least know for sure whether it's a DNS cache issue.  

Happy to try.  Left everything off/unplugged for about 10 minutes.  Still no luck.  I appreciate the thought, though.

GabeU

@AmyinMontana 

Hopefully the reps will be able to determine what the issue is, and even more so, fix it.  

I'll tag a few, just to be sure that they'll see that you still need help.  

@Liz @Amanda @Damian 

Shaquita21
New Poster

Hello do you think I should get my dish to move around. If I can’t get the uploads on my PlayStation 4 to MBs I only can get kbps
maratsade

Please start your own topic under Tech Support. Go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport, and click on "Start a topic."  You may not get any support if you horn in on another user's conversation. 

Shaquita21 wrote:
Hello do you think I should get my dish to move around. If I can’t get the uploads on my PlayStation 4 to MBs I only can get kbps

Amanda

Good morning Amy,

Welcome to our community! I see you've been trying some things to get your issue resolved, which definitely helps us narrow things down. I will be running a diagnostic check on your HughesNet system to see if anything appears abnormal. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Amanda

Amanda

Amy,

I've sent you a private message with the results and next steps.

Thanks,

Amanda

Thanks, Amanda.  I'm hopeful the dish adjustment will help!

@Amanda 

A tech was able to make it out Friday, but unfortunately the dish repositioning didn't solve the problem.  I'm still unable to access certain websites.

@AmyinMontana wrote:

@Amanda 

A tech was able to make it out Friday, but unfortunately the dish repositioning didn't solve the problem.  I'm still unable to access certain websites.

Don't know if this would help of not, but has anyone run a traceroute to the effected sites and compared the output to sites that are working? 

BTW traceroute is a Linux utility,  I'm sure Windoze has something similar.

I had a similar problem some time ago, which magically went away after about five days.  I would be interested to see if the bad sites share a common hop past the "***"  that may be  causing the problem. 

Of course all this stuff is upstream from Hughes and AFAIK is completely out of our control.