cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

Highlighted

Re: Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

@AmyinMontana wrote:

@Amanda 

A tech was able to make it out Friday, but unfortunately the dish repositioning didn't solve the problem.  I'm still unable to access certain websites.

Don't know if this would help of not, but has anyone run a traceroute to the effected sites and compared the output to sites that are working? 

BTW traceroute is a Linux utility,  I'm sure Windoze has something similar.

I had a similar problem some time ago, which magically went away after about five days.  I would be interested to see if the bad sites share a common hop past the "***"  that may be  causing the problem. 

Of course all this stuff is upstream from Hughes and AFAIK is completely out of our control.

Assistant Professor

WRT to my previous comments regarding CenturyLink, it appears ATT is also having similar 1-minute (or more) delay and other erratic problems. ATT, like CenturyLink, is an upstream provider that is used at some of the gateways, and is causing a lot of problems.

Most notably and recently, ATT reported a widespread outage that was behind their ability to update guide data that gets pushed down to DirecTV receivers. The reason why that is important is that DirecTV boxes will not fully boot without guide data. You'll be able to use your built-in DVR but you will not be able to watch live television.

A little research showed that ATT had been having numerous reported service outages due to network backbone problems for several months. I had not experienced it personally until we had a small power cut over the weekend and all four of my receivers failed. Was running around like a madman thinking the LNBs or multiswitch had fried due to a power spike.

I saw one report that they may be piggybacking off of 'Level 3' (now owned/run by CenturyLink), but I don't know the validity of such a claim.

What wouldn't surprise me in the least is the fact that volume of DDOS attempts loading down the internet out of China (and servers they've corrupted or proxied). I am currently dealing with a server out of Germany (Contabo) that has been running a relative high volume of VOIP system probes, as found in my web logs for last 72 hours now. It's crazy what's going on and malware is getting better at creating botnets of these things, so these issues may in fact be something related to all of this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the info!  Makes me wonder how it ever works as good as it usually does.  ( Knock on wood! )

Hi Amy,

I am sorry to hear that the issue is not resolved. In your original post you specified some example sites that you were having trouble loading, is it still the case, or has the list narrowed? You're welcome to PM me some links so we can test them out on our end.

Thanks

Amanda

New Poster

@Amanda 

Will do. Thank you.

New Poster

@Amanda 

Amanda, do you have an update?  I'm still having problems accessing certain websites.

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

Please check your PMs, there should be a message there.