Hughesnet Community

Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyinMontana
New Poster

Unable to load certain websites, but can stream a movie?

Hello.  I'm new here, but certainly not new to HughesNet.  I've been a customer for several years, and have experienced the ups and downs of satellite internet.  

For the past few weeks, I've noticed that I've been unable to load certain websites (Facebook, Instagram, etc.).  It's not a huge problem as I use these websites sparingly anyway, however, I find it odd because I can stream movies on Amazon Prime.  One would think if my connection is good enough to stream (without really much buffering), it should be good enough to load websites.  

I've rebooted several times as I've learned over the years that sometimes that magically "fixes" issues.  Not the case here.  Can someone help?

26 REPLIES 26

WRT to my previous comments regarding CenturyLink, it appears ATT is also having similar 1-minute (or more) delay and other erratic problems. ATT, like CenturyLink, is an upstream provider that is used at some of the gateways, and is causing a lot of problems.

Most notably and recently, ATT reported a widespread outage that was behind their ability to update guide data that gets pushed down to DirecTV receivers. The reason why that is important is that DirecTV boxes will not fully boot without guide data. You'll be able to use your built-in DVR but you will not be able to watch live television.

A little research showed that ATT had been having numerous reported service outages due to network backbone problems for several months. I had not experienced it personally until we had a small power cut over the weekend and all four of my receivers failed. Was running around like a madman thinking the LNBs or multiswitch had fried due to a power spike.

I saw one report that they may be piggybacking off of 'Level 3' (now owned/run by CenturyLink), but I don't know the validity of such a claim.

What wouldn't surprise me in the least is the fact that volume of DDOS attempts loading down the internet out of China (and servers they've corrupted or proxied). I am currently dealing with a server out of Germany (Contabo) that has been running a relative high volume of VOIP system probes, as found in my web logs for last 72 hours now. It's crazy what's going on and malware is getting better at creating botnets of these things, so these issues may in fact be something related to all of this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the info!  Makes me wonder how it ever works as good as it usually does.  ( Knock on wood! )

Hi Amy,

I am sorry to hear that the issue is not resolved. In your original post you specified some example sites that you were having trouble loading, is it still the case, or has the list narrowed? You're welcome to PM me some links so we can test them out on our end.

Thanks

Amanda

@Amanda 

Will do. Thank you.

@Amanda 

Amanda, do you have an update?  I'm still having problems accessing certain websites.

Thanks,

Amy

Hi Amy,

Please check your PMs, there should be a message there.