Unable to send or recieve imessage photos

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js20692
New Poster

Unable to send or recieve imessage photos

Hi! I have been having an ongoing issue with not being able to send or recieve imessage photos. I have tried resetting the router, resetting the phone, resetting my network settings on the phone, and have contacted Apple and cannot seem to resolve the issue. Is there something else I should try? It is only an issue when my phone connected to the HughesNet WiFi. My other devices do not have an issue with the WiFi at all. At my current location, I do not have cell service and rely on my HughesNet connection to send and receive all imessages. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

42 REPLIES 42

Hi Liz!

Sorry, just returning from vacation. See my answers below 🙂

Is it just picture/videos failing to send? No, plain text imessage also fail to send.

Is the issue limited to sending or receiving or both? Both, but primarily with recieving. I've stopped trying to send any because they never go through.

If pictures/videos are sending/receiving, is it just delayed? I am not able to send anything and i will often see the photos come through in the morning on my drive to work when i'm no longer on the wifi.

How's sending/receiving plain texts? Delayed or normal? Plain texts are delayed, more noticeably so in the evening.

Hope that helps!

Welcome back js20692!

Thanks for getting back to me, I've passed this info along to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

This iMessage photo issue is driving me nuts!!  I need to be able to send clients (forget friends) photos and screen shots and I can do NONE of that from home.

- Since I "upgraded" to the 5g and the HT2000, I can send no pictures or videos from my older ipad or my iPhoneX and it is ONLY sending/receiving pictures and videos.  Received picutes perpetually show the file "downloading" but it never downloads and eventually will show the paper-with-the-folded-corner icon and some sort of file number under it. My messages go thru flawlessly on 5g AND 2g (yes, I've tried to send pictures/videos on both)

- Would also not "Send As Text Message"

- iOS 13.1.13 (it is NOT Apple)  I have ZERO issues off of this WiFi and the iPad has iOS 9.3.5

- Consistantly receive the Failure to Send message after several minutes of trying to send

- Yes, tried Apple Support.  It is not Apple

- Yes, tried DNS fix.  NO it didn't work

I am overly frustrated and do hope you have something in the works to fix the problem.

Good morning tierrem99,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for providing this info, this helps. I've sent it over to engineering which is currently investigating.  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

LKS
New Poster

Just wanted to chime in on this thread as I've been having this problem as well. All Apple devices send photos via iMessage just fine when connected to any other network, but more often than not will not send or receive images when we are using our home HughesNet system. Text messages go through, but images often fail. We have very weak cell service at our house - usually 1 bar LTE at best - and when we are lucky enough to get that weak LTE signal, we can send/receive images by disconnecting from WiFi. This has been going on intermittently for many months.

Hi LKS,

Thanks for voicing your concern! I've let engineering know that we have more folks with the same issue. 

Exactly same issue as LKS. I posted a separate comment yesterday and with the cost and cap to download, frustration has led to research a line of site option in my area.

Hi folks,

Just letting you know that our engineers are still investigating this. Once I have any updates to share I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

I am having the same issues with my iphone 7 (my family has 4 of them).

Can't receive videos or photos through messenger while connected to Hughes Net wifi.

I had Gen4 and just updated to Gen5. Did not matter.

Do not have issues on other wifi networks.

Waiting for an answer to fix the problem.

Thanks

It's quite possible the local dns to link where the images go is borked in the modem because of a weak wifi connection.

Try rebooting the modem to clear it, and it might just fix the problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning Curt,

Thank you for letting me know, I've sent your account information to engineering which is still investigating.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

Hi folks,

I appreciate your patience while our engineers investigated and apparently have already rolled out a fix to some portions of the network. So please check and confirm that the iMessage issue is resolved for you. If it's still not working, the fix is still in the process of making its way to you. No ETA on when the rollout will be completed. 

Thanks,

Liz

This isn’t a HughesNet issue we have **bleep**. Then under the (start new conversations from) make sure your iCloud address is the only one marked. Youricloud@icloud.com. Then go to your WiFi setting and make sure the iPhone is running on the 2.4 WiFi band, iMessage will not work on the other. It takes a while for it to kick on, and every time you update it will mess up. If all that failed and iMessage still will not work powercycle your modem. I hope this helps.

@Robp1 wrote:
Then go to your WiFi setting and make sure the iPhone is running on the 2.4 WiFi band, iMessage will not work on the other.

Untrue. I only use the 5GHz channel and it never fails.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Strange what model and OS are you using. The XR will only allow us to use the 2.4 for iMessage.

I use an iPhone 7 and it's not had a problem for the several OSes on it up through the current 13.1.1.
You might want to check the protocol settings you have for 5GHz to see if it's set for 11a/n/ac and 20/40/80MHz bandwidth, or you have a problem with one of the main or extension channels. WPA2 with AES encryption should also be used.

Thank you for that tip. I will have to try it. I know when our New iPhones updated to os13 it completely failed on Hughes until I changed the setting for how they are sent and received over the network. iCloud was the only way I could make it work.

Lol... make that iOS 13.1.2 as of just now. 13 is such a mess.

Good morning Robp1,

Thank you for offering a suggestion! Looks like part of your message got inadvertently bleeped out. I'm sorry, our profanity filter has been wonky lately. Could you try reposting what you were trying to convey? If you keep getting bleeped, you might have to resort to taking a screenshot of your message and posting it has a picture instead.

I am not sure what happened the Bleep was supposed to say IPhone lol

Good morning rhill,

No we were trying to troubleshoot with the original poster of this thread to determine the root cause, but we have yet to get a reply new reply from her. However, if you want to troubleshoot with us that can give our engineers something to work on and keep the ball rolling.

We'll need the basic troubleshooting info from you as well such as:

When did you first notice this happening?

On what device model(s) is this happening?

On which iOS is this happening?

Has it happened on a device that has only had iOS 13? (Never upgraded from iOS 12?)

Is it only pictures and video being affected? Or is it text as well?

Is the issue only delayed messages, or messages failing to send?

Is this happening for sent messages only? Received messages? Or both?

Have you tried all the steps on this site?: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204065

If you've done all of the above and the issue persists, please follow the next steps:

Change the DNS settings on your iPhone to a use a different DNS server such as Google's (8.8.8.8). Here are instructions on how to do so:
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-dns-on-iphone-ipad/

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.