Unable to stream still (Update)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaiserfamily
Sophomore

Unable to stream still (Update)

I thought I had my data fixed back in September. I was even able to get a technician to come out thanks to @Liz https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Unable-to-stream-still-Update/m-p/104523#M71419 but even that didn't help. The tech who came out from Columbus said all new wires and drilling new holes in our walls and brick would not solve the problem. His only suggestion was to change services, maybe AT&T fiber but obviously I can't do that since no wires out here. My final course of action because I can not take it anymore:

1. Buy a cell service hotspot for the house if I can find a good enough deal.

or 

2. Get a hard line again and go to Dial up because my speed on dial up would still be faster.

One last question prior to implementing option. How much does it cost to cancel service prior to the end of the 2 year service agreement?

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

From the subscriber agreement (http://legal.hughes.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm😞

Early Termination: Purchase Option (equipment and standard installation purchased upfront)

If you cancel your order before installation, you will be refunded the amount that was collected at time of order.

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

Early Termination: Lease Option

If you cancel your order before installation, you will be refunded the amount that was collected at time of order.

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.

Further, you must return your HughesNet modem, power supply, and radio in good condition within 45 days of cancellation date or be charged a $300 Unreturned Equipment Fee ($100 for the modem and power supply and $200 for the radio transmitter).

If you cancel after the end of your 24-month term commitment, you must return your HughesNet modem, power supply, and radio in good condition within 45 days of cancellation date or be charged a $300 Unreturned Equipment Fee ($100 for the modem and power supply and $200 for the radio transmitter).

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, you have a big conflict between what two different techs are saying. One said the cables need replaced, the second said no. Bottom line the second tech should have replaced the cables if that is what the work order stated.

Trust me, dial up will not be better. That second tech sounds like he needs to find another job.

Jay

Kaiserfamily, 

After running initial diagnostics, we were able to determine that there is an issue with the transmitter and I would be happy to dispatch another technician to resolve the problem for you. 

-Jay

Please do then. We are only available after 5 and all day on Saturday. I bought 3 gig of data last night and it was gone in under an hour! This system is all messed up.

@Kaiserfamily wrote:

1. Buy a cell service hotspot for the house if I can find a good enough deal.

The last time I looked at cell service hotspots they also had data limits.

2. Get a hard line again and go to Dial up because my speed on dial up would still be faster.

Regular dial up is so slow I guess you're speaking of DSL. Although there is a friend of mine less than
a mile from my house that has it, I can't get it. If you can get DSL, it might be worth a try.

IMO Hughes is not suitable for movie streaming, not because of speed ( which I have had no problems with ), but because of the cost of data, and limited band width. If enough people were streaming movies at the same time the system would probably choke.

It might be cheaper just to order the DVDs from Amazon rather than paying for all those data tokens needed to stream movies.

You may be stuck with Hughes,  like I am,  hoping to eventually get cable.   It's only about ten miles away from my house. I've been waiting fifteen years now, and it still hasn't come any closer.

Streaming is just one of the issues. My wife works from home and lost her job because of the poor data. She had to find a new job which does not require any working from home. We were told the owner of our house had internet service before we bought it and then when I contacted service provider found out it was the smallest amount possible, just enough for email and alarm monitoring. I can not sell my house just because I can not get a good stream. I need to get a steady reliable data stream.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Kaiserfamily wrote:

I need to get a steady reliable data stream.

We get this now with HughesNet but do realize some folks have problems. It also depends what your expecting from the service. Like I've said before we can video stream quite well although we don't do it for hours and hours a day because of the plan limits. Limited Internet connectivity is something to be expected when moving away from the masses.

Supposedly LEO Internet is still being planned but who knows if and when it will be available for residential customers in the US: https://www.networkworld.com/article/3295597/internet/an-internet-for-everyone-not-yet.html

Kaiserfamily, 

Your Dispatch is currently scheduled for Monday, Dec 10, 2018 between 12/10/18 and 05:00 PM-08:00 PM. If you need to reschedule for whatever reason, please call us at  866-347-3292.

Thank you,

Jay

Tech support came out tonight. We had our channel switched from 19 to 17 along with our polarization. When tech left we were running download speed of 45 MBS. Within 30 minutes of him leaving we dropped to 14MBS and had already used 1 gig of data doing nothing. We are now 3 hours from him leaving with no one on internet and have used 3 gig of data. That much data usage with no one on internet seems unrealistic therefore I feel the problem has not been resolved.

@Kaiserfamily wrote:
Tech support came out tonight. We had our channel switched from 19 to 17 along with our polarization. When tech left we were running download speed of 45 MBS. Within 30 minutes of him leaving we dropped to 14MBS and had already used 1 gig of data doing nothing. We are now 3 hours from him leaving with no one on internet and have used 3 gig of data. That much data usage with no one on internet seems unrealistic therefore I feel the problem has not been resolved.

Does the modem status say Software Download Status is "Up to date" with a green check mark? Otherwise, what is the state code?

If the state code is fully operational, are you certain that 3GB wasn't something updating and/or an on-demand movie downloading, and that the overall speed dropped because that was going on simultaneously?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Technician checked everything out and said all checks passed with green check marks. By 6:00 am this morning we were at a 3.15 gb used. No one is at home with no devices currently connected and we dropped another 100 mb. Any suggestions on what to check for with this data loss or are my expectations incorrect? Do we always lose data even if nothing is powered on and pulling data from internet?

Doesn't matter what the technician said when they were there, the problem is happening now.

The answer you're looking for is on the web page that I directed you to. I asked several questions about what was on it which would then answer your question.

Secondly, are you absolutely certain nothing's connected? Have any DirecTV or Dish boxes connected via wifi? Those are always connected and doing things. How about anything else (e.g., Cameras, appliances) via wifi? Are all computers actually off and not just in sleep mode/hibernation? For example: A closed lid on a laptop doesn't mean it's fully powered off and will still attempt to update itself.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Anything like a Chromecast or Firestick that is always powered on?

Power off everything that connects to the internet except the modem, and write down what you have left for data on the meter before doing so. Leave it set for an hour or so, or while you're away. Connect a computer or tablet and look at the meter again to see what the use has been while everything was off. If very low to none, then it has to be some device on your end using the data.

Awesome idea. For some reason I never thought about that. I will unplug and slow start bringing devices back on line to track it down.

Download speed 1.48 mbs with 46.56 gig available on data plan.

Kaiserfamily,

I'm happy to hear that the technician was able to resolve the primary issue you were having and I see that the community has given you great advice on how to track down what may be using your data!

After running speed tests from my end, everything looks good and the system seems to be functioning normally. The results I'm getting are 26.4Mbps download and 2.5Mbps upload. What website or application are you using to run your speed tests? HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys. 

-Jay

I was using spped test and then I read your post. Here is what I get from testmy.net. All green check marks, no one on the internet, no devices connected, and plenty of data.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.30.02 PM.png

GabeU

@Kaiserfamily

First, look here to be sure nothing is connected, or was connected, that you aren't aware of.  With you using as much data as you are, this is a very real possibility.  Sometimes people connect things via WiFi and then forget that they're connected.  

Secondly, when running speed tests for troubleshooting purposes, it's best to use a single devices that is connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable.  It is also advised to disable the WiFi, at least while running the tests, to ensure that nothing is sapping any bandwidth via WiFi, which will skew the result if there is.

To disable the WiFi, see 5.c. under "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each radio individually.  In other words, uncheck "SSID Enable" for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click Save Settings, then do the same for the other three (2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz and 5Ghz Guest), one at a time.  The reason for this is if you do two or more at the same time, then click "Save Settings", the settings won't hold, so you have to do each one individually.  Kind of a pain, but it is what it is.  Also, be sure to perform these actions with a LAN cable connected device, not a WiFi connected device.  Then run your speed test(s) with your LAN cable connected device.   

As well, when you run the tests, it would be best for you to run them while signed into an account you've created at testmy.net, as it will save the test results in a single location so they can be looked at by a rep or engineer, if they need to do so.  Also, make sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the manual 4MB test size for upload tests, if you run any upload tests, that is.  

maratsade

To be absolutely sure nothing is powered/pulling data, unplug the modem from the wall.  No power, no wifi, no internet, no data loss. 

@Kaiserfamily wrote:

Do we always lose data even if nothing is powered on and pulling data from internet?

Hi Kaiserfam, I am very new to hughsnet and having a similiar problem. I've noticed in the evening the connection is so slow that video cant be streamed at any quality. Do you notice yours to be slower in the evening? I get decent numbers during the day but when I test at night I see like .1 or .2 mpbs and the video my wife is trying to watch is constantly freezing. Of course these are our few minutes to try to relax during the day and there is goes freezing again. I'm sure you know how it goes.