cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to stream video: High usage periods

Professor

Re: Unable to stream video: High usage periods

You don't have to get obsessive about it. It would be enough to test 3 times a day (morning, mid-afternoon, and evening, for example), and each time run a batch of 3 or so tests, spread out every 3-5 minutes, if you can.  You don't need to post links to specific tests. The main link to your results is plenty and it is more useful than individual links, as the reps and engineers are likely to examine the whole, not individual data points. And if they want to look at individual data points, they will pick the ones they want to look at from your results list. 

@indogwetrust wrote:

OK, will conitnue obsessivly testing. Thanks for the interest.

Sophomore

Hello,

I am still seeing some extremely low test results, especially in the eveing. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@indogwetrust

I'm sure @Hardy will take the next steps needed and reply soon.  She was most likely waiting until you had gotten a few more tests in.

Though a few of them look somewhat decent, the majority don't, and some of them are downright dismal.  

And, though the download speed is the presently discussed issue, it may also be a good idea to get one or two upload tests in, just to give them an idea of that speed, as sometimes it can help them.  When testing upload speed, make sure to use the manual 4MB test size.  You don't need nearly as many upload tests as download tests.  A couple would most likely suffice.  To be perfectly honest, they may not even need them, but it wouldn't hurt.   

I'll post your results URL again, just so it's not missed.  Smiley Happy 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/indogwetrust

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Thanks for checking in. I will get going on some upload tests. 

Sophomore

I'm still seeing the same basic pattern: acceptable or good speeds during the day but  sub 1 mbps starting at around 7 in the evening.  Will I eventually be asked to accept sub 1 mbps speeds every night?
:

Andrea,

To better assist you, can you please post the link of your speed tests results? 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Sophomore

I am happy to work with tech support as much as needed. I will do all the tests required. If we determine that I'm just in an area where a lot of people use the connection at the same time of day, I would like my cancellation fee waived. It was represented to me that I would be able to steam video. If I cannot do that after I come home from work then the service is not much good to me. It is one thing to ask me to adapt to data caps which I am happy to do. That is on me, I would never complain that I used up all my data. This is different. I don't even have a prayer of using all my data. Its impossible. The cancellation fee is way beyond my means, and so is paying for a service I cannot use.  Hulu doesn't allow you to download shows in the middle of the night to watch them later. If we can't get this cleared up then please for the love of decency let me out. I think its unfair that the terms and conditions give you no way out, even if you had no way to know that you would not be watching TV when you get home. 

Sophomore

Andrea,

Please see your private messages for further assistance. 

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Sophomore

Hi Folks, 

It looks like I'm out of luck. My assumption is that my beam is too overloaded. I can't fault the business decision of Hughesnet to require two year contracts with no cancellation period. When you see how slow the connection is during the times you need to use it, there is nobody who would stick with the service. Hughesnet would lose money hand over fist if they let customers go just because the service is unusable. 

Elsewhere I've seen folks with my same problem, cannot stream video in the evening time, have been told they need to adapt.  We are asked to adapt to our service only being usable in the middle of the night. Good luck planning every night's entertainment,  every week, every month. There is no adapting to speeds this slow. Caveat emptor is the real answer they should be giving. 

Customer support @Hardy have kindly done what they can do for me. The solution of giving a discount for 6 months is very much appreciated, but I wonder if they realize what it implies. They are acknowledging that yes, you've been tricked, no the service is not worth what we are charging, yes you are out of luck about that, no you will not be released from the contract. I'm not trying to be harsh. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.