Hughesnet Community

Unbelievably slow Netflix download, appears to be severely throttled.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmorgil
Freshman

Unbelievably slow Netflix download, appears to be severely throttled.

Amanda,

In responce to your message below. Please see my responce after.

Re: Super Slow speeds download on Netflix

Hi bmorgil,

If you do not have an up to date thread going on, we recommend doing that so we can discuss what is going on. I have not done a full diagnostic on your system but I do see that you have 9 devices connected to Wi-Fi right now. I am unsure if you have run out of data but it might be a good idea to eliminate some of the devices that are connected, double check your streaming quality is in line with whether you have Video Data saver on or off and create a post for yourself so that we can start off with that information.

Thanks

Amanda

1) This would be a new thread.

2) I would hope you would perform "a full diagnostic?" anytime customers complained.

3) What does the number of devices I have hooked to my router have to do with anything? Are you suggesting I don't have the ability to understand the bandwidth I am using at any givin time? You would be wrong.

4) I do not intend to unhook any devices. This is why I signed up to your "High Speed Gen V" internet service. With nothing connected Netflix downloads at speeds that are so slow, they can be stated in days..

5) I am all done checking my settings. I have tried many, many things.

8 REPLIES 8
MarkJFine
Professor

It's impossible to judge the technical knowledge of everyone that has a complaint. As you well know, every device on a router takes a slice of bandwidth. I think what Amanda was trying to imply was a test in order to isolate anything that might increase the bandwidth load. But it seems you had that covered.

Again, since you seem technically capable, can you do a traceroute from your computer to Netflix and post it here? This way we can see if there's a problem between the gateway and Netflix's content delivery network. I think that would be a great help in isolating everything outside of HughesNet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

What IP address for Netflix do you want a trace on?  Why do you need me to do this? You have the capability to do it right there. I will be glad to run a tracert and check all the "hops" for you. What address? Further, I am hard wired to the router right now. I just ran a speed test by testmy.net.   It is a blistering 3.9 mbs right now. I am ready to pay you off for the cancelation fee, and move on to another provider. A lesson learned. If you collect enough cancellation fees along with the exorbitant sign up fees, I guess that’s ok for you. I have spent hours on the phone, reading this forum and all the complaints, turning my equipment inside out. You really need to step up here and fix this without further wasting hours upon hours of my time. I did not pay all this money to have you show me how to fix your issues.

No, I don't have the capability to do it from here. Admins have "admin" next to their name. Do you see one next to mine? No, I'm a customer, just like you, and I just clocked a lightning fast 2.6 on beam 68 which is having tons of problems right now - so I really don't want to hear about your plucky 3.9.

Despite all that, I came in here to respond to your question in good faith and try to HELP FIX YOUR ISSUES FOR YOU. But instead, you decided to get obstinate and unload on me...

Well, good luck with that. Hope things get better for you.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

No, I don't have the capability to do it from here. Admins have "admin" next to their name. Do you see one next to mine? No, I'm a customer, just like you, and I just clocked a lightning fast 2.6 on beam 68 which is having tons of problems right now - so I really don't want to hear about your plucky 3.9.

Despite all that, I came in here to respond to your question in good faith and try to HELP FIX YOUR ISSUES FOR YOU. But instead, you decided to get obstinate and unload on me...

Well, good luck with that. Hope things get better for you.

Your situation is unfortunate. You appeared to be siding with the enemy. I am sorry for "unloading” on you. I am obviously quite fed up with Hughesnet and, the plethora of outsourced "Technicians". Things will improve. I am canceling, and paying Hughesnet off, for the mistake I made.  Sorry to hear about your "Beam Issue". Wouldn't it be nice if Hughesnet had the customer in mind and worked on that for you? Instead, you get many different answers. Here are some things I have dealt with. This was the sales pitch. I was told my IP cameras would work. My Sling account would work fantastic. No trouble with Netflix. Weather would have a minimal effect with the new GEN V.

Hughesnet is Ipv6. My IP cameras will never work. There is no port forwarding in Ipv6.

Sling uses your IP address for location. None of my regional programing works and, it never will. Hughesnet provides Dynamic IP addresses.

Netflix is so throttled for some reason; it downloads a movie in one day.

Any medium to heavy rainstorm stops it cold.

My problem has been fixed I have two other providers who want my business

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@bmorgil

"3) What does the number of devices I have hooked to my router have to do with anything? Are you suggesting I don't have the ability to understand the bandwidth I am using at any givin time? You would be wrong."

The "inlet pipe" of your Hughes service is rather small compared to a ground based system such as cable or DSL.

The number of concurrent connections, be it multiple programs and processes or multiple devices, can quickly surpass the "inlet data capacity" of your system. Consider too that video is very data intensive even at lower resolutions,

Lets look at it like the water system serving your house:

Lets say that the water meter (your Hughes Modem) can supply 5 gallons per second (system capacity).

You connect a single device that consumes 1 gallon per second. The flow is less than the total system capacity so the connected device runs at full speed.

Now add a second device that also consumes 1 gallon per second. We now have a total demand of 2 gallons per second out of a max of 5. All runs smooth.

Lets connect 5 devices, each demanding 1 gallon per second. The system is operating at max capacity with perhaps a little slow-down here and there due to the fact that satellite runs more in bursts than a steady stream, but for the most part things operate as expected.

If a sixth device is then added, total demand surpasses system capacity and things start to bog down.

Amanda asked that you try to eliminate devices to see if system saturation was at the root of your problem.

That is part of a Divide & Conquer approach to troubleshooting.

First to see if your system is operating at expected levels under a controlled set of conditions.

There are also other things to consider such as Video Data Saver settings and so forth.

The fact is, sat internet isn't cable.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@bmorgil

"3) What does the number of devices I have hooked to my router have to do with anything? Are you suggesting I don't have the ability to understand the bandwidth I am using at any givin time? You would be wrong."

The "inlet pipe" of your Hughes service is rather small compared to a ground based system such as cable or DSL.

The number of concurrent connections, be it multiple programs and processes or multiple devices, can quickly surpass the "inlet data capacity" of your system. Consider too that video is very data intensive even at lower resolutions,

Amanda asked that you try to eliminate devices to see if system saturation was at the root of your problem.

That is part of a Divide & Conquer approach to troubleshooting.

First to see if your system is operating at expected levels under a controlled set of conditions.

There are also other things to consider such as Video Data Saver settings and so forth.

The fact is, sat internet isn't cable.

I have done this many times. I am not doing it again for the sake of Amanda. I stated before, I have tried it hooked directly to the modem via hard wire. ALL wireless devices disconnected.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

bmorgil wrote: 

3) What does the number of devices I have hooked to my router have to do with anything? Are you suggesting I don't have the ability to understand the bandwidth I am using at any givin time? You would be wrong.

4) I do not intend to unhook any devices. This is why I signed up to your "High Speed Gen V" internet service. With nothing connected Netflix downloads at speeds that are so slow, they can be stated in days..

Though I'm sure you're frustrated, when you start questioning a rep's requests or suggestions in an accusatory fashion and get smart with them, then flat out refuse to do what is requested of you, not only do the chances of receiving further help, but also of the problem(s) being resolved, diminish.  

If you would like to resolve the issue, I would simply answer the questions asked and do what is requested.  Residing on a pedestal gets you nowhere, especially when you need help.

@GabeU wrote:

bmorgil wrote: 

Though I'm sure you're frustrated, when you start questioning a rep's requests or suggestions in an accusatory fashion and get smart with them, then flat out refuse to do what is requested of you, not only do the chances of receiving further help, but also of the problem(s) being resolved, diminish.  

If you would like to resolve the issue, I would simply answer the questions asked and do what is requested.  Residing on a pedestal gets you nowhere, especially when you need help.

There are no questioning a rep's requests or suggestions in an accusatory fashion here. Just solid recognition of more and more attempts to "Pretty up this Pig" to coin a phrase. I don't need someone to act like an authority over me either. I will flat out refuse what I wish. I am sure I am far older than you. I have a much better grasp on outcome than you do obviously. I do know how to resolve my problem. My pedestal resides with Internet Providers who put me there. I have two on their way. Take your unctuous attitude elsewhere.