cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbridled Bonus Bytes? -Fun While It Lasted

Re: Unbridled Bonus Bytes? -Fun While It Lasted

Hi Klay, the box above states that you have two components that make up your Data Allowance, your Anytime allowance, and Bonus Bytes that are used from 2am-8am. On the same page it shows that both Anytime and Bonus Bytes make up the total of your allowance.

Please feel free to refer here http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?pa... and here http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?pa... if you haven't already since I think the links may provide some helpful information.

Thanks for providing the case numbers. I will post back as soon as I have an update regarding your sales call.

Suz

Hi doomedc4, I completely understand your frustration and I am very sorry to hear that you may have not been provided with the correct information. Thanks for providing your case number. I'll pull your sales call as well so that I can find out what was explained to you and also make sure that you are taken care of. Suz

There isn't a sales call to my knowledge. This was information that was provided onsite by the contractor that installed it. I noticed the System Status page when he was setting it up and asked about it being unlimited and he went on to explain to me what I have explained to you. I feel as though it ay have been done to intentionally mislead us into staying with HughesNet. If anything there needs to be stricter controls over the contractors.

Hi doomed, it sounds like the installer may have been confused and I'm so sorry to hear that he provided you with incorrect information.

I'd like to reach out to the dealer to let them know that this had happened. Please post your case number so that I can access your account and your install order to find out who the technician was that installed your system.

Suz

When I first went on Gen-4 my free download time was 2:00am to 11:00am. Under the pro plan my bonus bytes were unlimited. All this changed without any notice !! Hughes net hits you with the FAP and claims its all about fairness. Its really all about the money. Hughes net told me to look at the FAP like a pizza and everybody wants a slice, so to be fair you can only have so many slices, so everyone can have a slice. BULL!! As long a you can afford to buy tokens, very expiencieve tokens, you can have all the pizza you want. He who has the money can have all the internet he wants, but he who is on a budget (most of us) can't. So much foe Hughes Net fairness !! Hughes net is the most expiencieve provider I've seen, yet they deliver the least I've ever had. At close to 100 dollars a month I would expect more than LIMITED internet. You can get unlimited internet from cable or DSL for half the price. If you are unable to get these services in your area then be ready to be GOUGED by Hughes net. Non English speaking reps only make matters worse. Cant wait for my contract to run out so I can go back to my old provider.

Hi Wilbert, Gen4 never offered unlimited bandwidth. Brand new customers will experience relaxed data restriction for the first week so that they can download updates without the bandwidth being deducted from their allowance since all devices would have been offline for a while. After that period of time, bandwidth will start being counted as we have always stated.

Regarding Bonus Byte time, we temporarily provided an extra three hours after the initial Gen4 launch as a freebee but this is no longer in place and Bonus Byte Time is again from 2am – 8am as we have always explained.

In reference to the Fair Access Policy, remember that with Satellite Technology bandwidth is shared. In order to make sure everyone on the same service plan receives the same amount of monthly bandwidth, we have put the Fair Access Policy in place.

Satellite Technology is completely different than cable and DSL so it can’t be compared. The bandwidth is used differently and it’s more expensive for us to provide customers with internet. Cable and DSL use land based technology while we have to launch a Satellite to it into Space, and send a signal 23,000 miles into space and back to give you internet access. We offer service through satellite to provide customers in rural areas with internet service since it’s too expensive for cable companies to build out their network in those rural areas.

I’m sorry that you aren’t happy with your service and hope that this clarifies things a bit.

Suz
Associate Professor

Numbers may no longer be accurate as things constantly change but here is a rough cap on other providers.

AT&T DSL: 250GB/Month (soft, at one time they had a fee for going over)
Time Warner: 300GB/Month (soft)
Windstream: 150GB/Month (hard, once hit, your cut, unless things have changed)
Verizon Fios: 4TB/Month (soft, Fiber to the home, ya know, the really nice stuff that is supposedly unlimited???)

Every provider has a limitation, some more than others, but a satellite can not easily have capacity added to it like a landline can in the event that a few hundred users crop up somewhere.

Hughes net spin Dr. Suz,
The sales rep never told us the extra three hours were temporary, its one of the reasons we went to Gen-4. We were never notified that the time would go back to 8:00am. We only found out when we saw our time draining away, Quickly.
As far as Satellite Technology being completely different than cable and DSL, the only thing you're telling us is: Every other provider out there is better than Hughes net.
As far as offing service to areas with out service (not your exact wording, but what you implied) We had service, our area has service from several providers.
We went with you after watching your misleading TV advertisement and reading your flyer YOU SENT in the mail.!!
As far as hoping your spin post clears things up, this should have been made clear during the sales pitch, which is very. very misleading.
We had a few people in our area warn us not to use Hughes net, but we didn't listen. Hopefully the people we warn will take heed, especially after I print this out and show it to them in black and white !! STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET.

Hi Wilbert, I'm sorry to hear that the agent did not provide you with correct information.

I was able to locate your account in our system and I see that you are an upgrade customer that was originally commissioned in 2010 before we had Gen4 and that you called us to upgrade on 02/21/13.

I'll review your troubleshooting notes referring to your request to upgrade from your previous HN9000 ProIP plan to see what was stated to you regarding bandwidth and make sure that you are taken care of.

Suz

Suz,
I'm sure less than truthful reps will be completely honest when they put their notes in their logs. From what I've been reading on this Hughes Customer Community, this is a standard reply you give to most customers.