cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding data usage/data loss and connection paths

Assistant Professor

Re: Understanding data usage/data loss and connection paths

Asknowles7 wrote:

If Hughesnet could vastly increase the data allowances, or remove them all together like cable and DSL, while still keeping their prices comparable to those other options

Sad to say...  Most DSL and Cable providers are now capped services and slowly moving to entire market, or already at their full market share and are shrinking the caps or increasing prices exponentially for going over.

New Poster

Since I consider you a valued and a person whose advise I trust, I am asking if you have a trusted download link for the status meter v 6.2.0  for 64 bit. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and have had no issues until about 4 days ago when I booted up and found the status meter missing, plus a cute little black circle with an explanation point in it on my toolbar. The notice tells me "Modem not available attempting to connect". This is odd, considering I am connected and can surf the net and get my emails etc.  The only other thing that happened at the same time is that my own Facebook page will not load unless I shut off my Avast anti-virus.  These things must all be connected to some internal issue, but I am too ignorant to diagnose the problem.  I can work around the FB failure by just shutting down Avast, however I need to get my status meter back and am unable to find the download file that I thought I had saved.  The newer status meter is totally unworkable on my computer and only the version 6.2.0 will work at all. 

I expect you have that download file saved somewhere and would hope you will be kind enough to share it with me either here or on my Facebook page.  (Sally Thomas)

I thank you in advance for any kindness and possible advise you can provide.

Assistant Professor

Asknowles7 wrote:

If Hughesnet could vastly increase the data allowances, or remove them all together like cable and DSL, while still keeping their prices comparable to those other options- then satillite would be a very practical solution for all us folks who live just a few miles from town but can't get the service our workmates and family and friends have. 

The data restrictions are in place because of the capacity of the system.  It's a balance.  If it were unlimited, the system would slow to a crawl due to people doing what is in their nature to do on an unlimited system, or at least a system with a considerably higher data cap....stream.  Enough people streaming and Hughesnet would be no better than dialup.  So the data cap is an unfortunate necessity.  It keeps the system at a high speed and usable for you, me and everyone else on it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@highprairiest

It's important for you to tag, or at least name, the person you are replying to when replying to a specific person.  

If whoever it is you are replying to doesn't have the version 6.2 installation file, I do.  It's up to you whether to trust me or not.  

With that said, it would be best for you to start a new post requesting the file so that this thread doesn't end up going off on tangents and it sticks to what the OP intended it to be about.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

Quote - "There have been so many changes lately, changes in OS's, video card drivers that "call home", multiple vulnerabilities in several brands of Routers ... Linksys and Netgear to name a couple."

I am curious to know what vulnerabilities I may have in my Netgear WNDA3100 Router? 

Thanks,

Teaching Assistant

Netgear  was one of a number of brands that had issues that would have been patched with a firmware update.

In addition it is suggested that you disable  Remote Access, WPS  and UPnP, Guest Accounts (unless you use them).

Be sure to have created a username and password in place of the default  and enabled wireless encryption  on all wireless frequencies.

Assistant Professor

desertdave35 wrote:

I am curious to know what vulnerabilities I may have in my Netgear WNDA3100 Router? 

Thanks,

The WNDA3100 is a wireless adapter, not a router.  Your router itself is where you would want to concentrate on any types of software/firmware patches and settings that may need to be changed to be secure.  

Edit:  It's a good idea to make sure that the software/firmware is up to date for/in the WNDA3100 adapter, too.  

Freshman

Here is the correct info on my router sorry.

Netgear N600 802.11n Dual Band Gigabit WiFi DSL Modem Router

To upgrade the firmware, do I go to netgears website for the download?

Assistant Professor

desertdave35 wrote:

Here is the correct info on my router sorry.

Netgear N600 802.11n Dual Band Gigabit WiFi DSL Modem Router

To upgrade the firmware, do I go to netgears website for the download?

This is probably the easiest method for updating the firmware....

https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-my-NETGEAR-router-s-firmware-using-the-Check-button-in-...

And, though it won't matter if you use the above method as the model will automatically be detected and known, the N600 is actually the type, not the model number.  The model number should be listed somewhere on the bottom or back of the router, quite possibly near where you saw the N600.     

Teaching Assistant

The are times where the "auto-check" fails to detect newer versions.

As Gabe stated the N600 is generic, check the sticker on the bottom or rear for exact model and version/

Once found, enter that info here and check current vs latest listed:

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/