Hughesnet Community

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wbdavis

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

My problem began ONE WEEK AGO. I have had my current computer for about two years.  I've had Hughesnet for four years. I've never been overly happy with the SLOW service, but I've adjusted to it because really, it's my only option other than dial-up. 

I have not downloaded ANY new programs to my computer. I have not done ANYTHING differently than I've ever done before, but last Sunday I used all my daily data, and this has been happening every day since.  

I have rarely ever used all my daily data because I don't watch videos, stream music, etc because Hughesnet is just too slow for any of that.  All I do is browse the internet; that's IT.  I've called Hughesnet customer service three times and three times they can't explain this to me.  I get the same lame suggestion every single time.... unplug my LAN cable and call them back in two hours.... which I've done.  I've downloaded their suggested program Glasswire (which uses a lot of my data also!) and I've never been able to pinpoint what might be happening.  I can sit in front of my laptop and watch the status meter go down by 2% every minute until all my data is gone.  It's insane and THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, so someone please tell me why it's happening now and how I can fix it!!!  

I want to repeat that I haven't done ANYTHING differently.  I have one printer, two smart phones, and one laptop on the network.  That's it and none of those devices have been changed in anyway.
81 REPLIES 81
rolvaag1

WBDAVIS,
What you maybe able to do is log on to your router and see what is connected. We had Dish network when it was in stalled they neglected to tell us they ran a line to our router, burned up 20gb of data. Took me two months to figure it out. All we got from Dish "sorry", well needless to say we no longer have Dish.

Tim D
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

wbdavis,

With the exception of the initial download, Glasswire uses barely any data at all.  It will tell you what is using data, but only the computer it's installed on.  

From what you've described you are on one of the legacy plans, with either a 7000 or 9000 modem and a daily data limit.     

Smartphones, especially iPhones, are often the culprit of excess data usage.  Your router is password protected, right?  Have you checked your updates in your laptop to make sure that there isn't an update that is having a problem installing, therefore downloading over and over and over again?  If you have Windows 10, there were recently some updates that were rereleased, and if your system can download it all, it might try again the next day, going into a perpetual data drain every day.  It won't hold what it downloaded the day before, so it starts again the next day, having to download it over again.  If the download totals 500MB, and you only have a 400MB daily limit...you get what I'm saying.  Also, as mentioned above, satellite TV receivers can use a considerable amount of data, even when turned off, as they really aren't off, but in standby. 

You can see what is connecting to your router by going into it's interface.  The cloud also uses considerable data.  Your Smartphones and/or your laptop could be connecting to their perspective clouds.  There are a LOT of possibilities when it comes to unexpected data usage. 

You may be able to drill it down by process of elimination.  Start with one thing, preferably your laptop, then add the other things, one by one and over time, back to the network. 

You could also try, if you are able, to go online during your download zone (2am to 7am).  If it does happen to be a download that is too large to finish with your regular daily amount, it would be able to during your download zone, free data period.

Also, if during the two hours of unhooked LAN it showed no data usage, it's most certainly one of your devices using it, but that goes without saying.  The modem isolation test normally asks for it the LAN cable to be unplugged overnight, but if it's happening whenever you go online, the two hour period would probably be enough.  With that said, if you are able to not have your internet available for a night, here are the directions to perform the overnight modem isolation test, which is the same that you already did, but for a longer period....

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-cannot-find-the-cause?topic-reply-list...

This would give a definitive answer as to whether the problem lies with the modem, or your devices, but I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that one or more of your devices are using the data.  There are also some other helpful things with regard to data loss in the thread given in that link.  Again, it can be a pain in determining what it is that is using the data, but it can be done. 

There are also programs out there for other devices that are similar to Glasswire.

Hope this helps.     

Chris11
Alum

Hello Wbdavis,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I understand the frustration. One thing to remember is that while using any type of operating system, even if you do not actively change something, the system is changing regardless. For example the iPhone, each new iteration of the iOS version adds new services needed to run in the background. Many of which need data to work correctly. It doesn't hurt to go back through update settings etc. and make sure everything is set the way it has always been.

To further assist lets go over a few things. The LAN cable test that our agents had you run on 9/25/16 came back with no data usage from the modem while disconnected. What this means is that the HughesNet modem and dish/radio are working as they should. There is nothing on our end "siphoning" data from your site. So what we need, is to isolate what could possibly be using data. Are you familiar with glasswire and how to read the data you see? If you see data use at a 1% a minute, glasswire should show you what program is using it. While monitoring, it is important that you remove all other devices from the network. Glasswire only works on the computer it is installed on. It also should not use any considerable amount of data itself. Pleas take a few of my suggestions when monitoring glasswire and get back to us.

Finally GabeU has laid out some good tidbits to look over. Which I am sure should be of use. Keep us posted with your results. 

Thanks,
Chris
wbdavis

GabeU and Chris, did either of you read my post? I did install Glassware (and it eats a lot of data).

Here's the deal. I'm a very early riser. I am on the computer checking things like Facebook, browsing the Internet, maybe using a Microsoft office product like Word. I can do this with no problems until about 7 or 8 am (when you begin keeping track of data) and then WHAM it's sucked dry. I've turned off all Updates other than my virus protection and this is still happening. I now disconnect from the wifi every moment I'm not sitting in front of my laptop.

On the day I disconnected the LAN cable I realized my new smart TV was connected to the wifi and I disconnected that. Presently there are only four things that can use the wifi, a laptop (Which I disconnect every day) two Motorola smart phones, and one HP printer. I might understand the smart TV sucking data, but it's been disconnected from the wifi (set back to factory defaults) for over a week. I've stopped ALL automatic updates and beside ALL THAT there has been absolutely nothing new added to my network, laptop, or telephones. This started SUDDENLY and hasn't stopped. Explain that please.
GabeU

Glasswire itself uses nearly no data, so I don't understand what you mean when you say "it eats a lot of data."  For the last 30 days my Glasswire installation has used a total of 190KB.  That's Kilobytes.  Less than two tenths of a megabyte in 30 days. 

Remember, you are in the download zone from 2am to 7am, so if your system starts to immediately use data at 7am, or whenever you get on it after 7am, you've got to figure out what is using that data.  Glasswire is the tool for your computer, and it doesn't "eat a lot of data."  You need to search for tools for your smart phones.  It's also possible that your printer is connecting to an update or cloud service.  Something is using the data.  Hopefully someone else can chime in that has experience with Smart Phones and wireless printers.  

The only explanation there is is that something is using the data.  Why?  I don't know.  What? I don't know.  Again, Glasswire for the computer.  Other tools for your Smartphones.  Unplug your printer for now to see if that's it.  If it's unplugged and it still happens, you know it's not the printer.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sorry, I'm still confused. What modem do you have and which plan are you on wbdavis?
rsegg

I'm having the same issue. If I was getting the 60 GB THAT I WAS TOLD THAT I WAS BUYING, I wouldn't need to stay up till 2am or get up at 6am to have the faster download! I WAS LIED TO PLAIN AND SIMPLE! I WAS told I would regret Hughes Net and I definitely DO!
GabeU

rsegg,

If you would like help with your issue, you should start your own post.  You can do so by clicking on the "New Post" button at the top of the page.  List your issue, and also post either a case number from a prior phone call or the serial number from your modem.  DO NOT POST your SAN (account number).  If still available, the reps can pull your sales call to review it. 

Amanda

Hi rsegg,

We're separating your reply into your own thread to better assist you. Please be sure to check in on the that post for updates. Thank you - Amanda

Please reference the new conversation here: Lied to by sales / 60GB Data Allowance
Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

I did read your previous response. My sentence should have been, "Are you familiar enough with glasswire and how to read the data you see?" If you are and all applications, background processes, and their upload/download amounts are normal than that is one thing. However if you need some more direction on what and how things are tracked we can go over them. 

This is ultimately a process of elimination. Just like the smart TV being one thing that could have gone unnoticed there could be more. GabeU's suggestion is a good way to approach this. Have only one device connected(computer maybe?) and use the internet normally. See if usage is back to normal while checking glasswire for anything out of the ordinary. Then add a device until you find something that seems to be draining usage at a fast rate. 

Our support center has already done the LAN cable test to determine that on our end everything checks out. However we cannot be in your house to determine what could be causing any unidentified data use. At the moment when trying to connect locally to your modem, I got an error. I was going to check some logs to hopefully provide some more insight on where to look. I will try again soon. I also see that your current plan is our Gen 3 HughesNet basic. It only affords you 250 MB refill a day, with a threshold of 500 MB. You could also just need more data in general. Have you been offered an upgrade?

- Chris
markniwot

I have seen this problem for over two years now, and have a 30 year background in electronics, circuit design, RF, software, and computers - so have quite a bit of understanding about what I have seen, even if Hughes's tools will NOT isolate the problem.  It took me literally MONTHS to get to a Hughes engineer with sufficient expertise ("Tier 3") even to understand, and finally ADMIT, the problem.

It is NOT fixed!

In short -- it is this:

Do you have a Motorola HN9000 modem???

(I've been through 3 by now - ALL of them have the problem.)

It is a firmware bug (built-in software) in the HN9000 modem, or data usage handshaking.  It will occasionally bill for data usage that is not only NOT being consumed by the customer, but it fact is simply IMPOSSIBLE for the slow satellite downlink even to support if it was operating at a good speed!

If you see a dramatic decrease in system performance, CHECK THE USAGE!  You may catch it "in the act."  I suspect, but cannot prove (their tests are woefully inadequate) that it is BILLING the customer for packet loss and retries, or some other "housekeeping" that doesn't represent "real data used [downloaded]."

Hughes refuses to let me talk to Tier 3 support without jumping through worthless hoops that I've been through more times now than I care to count.  "Bring me the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West!"  is a good description of the attitude I get every time I see this crop up -- again, and AGAIN.

Let 'em know it TAKES AN EFFORT on their part to fix!
wbdavis

Have I been offered an upgrade? Seriously? This is the WORST service I have ever had. Dial-up was/is slow, but at least it WORKED. WHY would I pay more for this nightmare?
Today, I left my laptop connected to the wifi. At about 1pm I still had 97% of my data available. It's now 2:30pm and its GONE. During that time I wasn't even using the computer. I wasn't even home so my cellphone wasnt there either.
Also, my friends have began informing just today that they can't send an email to my Hughesnet account. They have been getting messages bounced back indicating my email has a permanent failure. They HAVE the correct address.
Just what the hell is going on here?!
Chris11
Alum

Hello Mark,

Thanks for posting. If you have something that you would like addressed pertaining to your service, feel free to create your own post. Not every situation is the same, and we've already consulted with our top tier engineers on this case. If you would also like your site looked into you are in the right place. 

Thank you,
Chris
wbdavis

By the way... I typed this on my telephone after disconnecting it from the wifi and using the data from my PHONE company while I'm paying YOU a freakin outrageous fee for Internet service that doesn't even work.
Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

I've laid out much information for you to go over. Yes I asked if you were offered one because what you are experiencing could just simply be a need for more data allowance at your disposal. If you left the laptop on the WiFi and were not home, how do you know it did not use data? Have you checked glasswire? Was it the only device connected when you were gone? I'm trying to work with you to find the culprit. We have already double checked on our end. 

As for your email. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Thank you,
Chris
wbdavis

Chris, I find it interesting, and not in a hood way, that you don't let this discussion board BE a discussion board.
wbdavis

Of.course I checked Glasswire. Apparently you are assuming I'm am idiot, which really irritates me. However, I can admit that I don't know everything there is to know about the Glasswire program. Perhaps you can explain to me what I "should" see if my data is being used. I look at the usage tab and don't see anything out of the ordinary. What do YOU think? I'm running Windows 10. My phone's are Motorola, and my printer is from HP. Those are the only four things connected to the wifi and one phone wasn't even here today.
Chris11
Alum

A discussion is completely fine. That being a customers first post usually means they need help. I'm only suggesting the best way to get that done. All feedback is welcome. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

I would not assume that. I assume you are a concerned customer and I'd like to resolve this the best I can. Only way I can do that is if you work with me and try a few of the things I and some community members have mentioned. Many people have had their issues resolved this way. I wish I could be sitting in your home, if invited 🙂 to look over everything for you. Unfortunately that is not plausible.

If you don't mind posting a screenshot of the different usage pages on glasswire, I can pinpoint potential problem areas to pay attention to. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
markniwot

As I said, I've 'worked' with what passes for customer service on this HN 9000 firmware bug for over two years now.  Perhaps you could have someone with actual engineering understanding of this bug give me a call.  (The Secret Phone number and passcode to Tier 3 is guarded FAR more tightly than Hillary's emails!)

I HAVE manged to call, BTW, DURING the time when the data was being pilfered, and they saw it in action.  But - they were NOT able to see the packet internals or data flow well enough to point Motorola to the problem.  And there it sits...