Hughesnet Community

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wbdavis

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

My problem began ONE WEEK AGO. I have had my current computer for about two years.  I've had Hughesnet for four years. I've never been overly happy with the SLOW service, but I've adjusted to it because really, it's my only option other than dial-up. 

I have not downloaded ANY new programs to my computer. I have not done ANYTHING differently than I've ever done before, but last Sunday I used all my daily data, and this has been happening every day since.  

I have rarely ever used all my daily data because I don't watch videos, stream music, etc because Hughesnet is just too slow for any of that.  All I do is browse the internet; that's IT.  I've called Hughesnet customer service three times and three times they can't explain this to me.  I get the same lame suggestion every single time.... unplug my LAN cable and call them back in two hours.... which I've done.  I've downloaded their suggested program Glasswire (which uses a lot of my data also!) and I've never been able to pinpoint what might be happening.  I can sit in front of my laptop and watch the status meter go down by 2% every minute until all my data is gone.  It's insane and THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, so someone please tell me why it's happening now and how I can fix it!!!  

I want to repeat that I haven't done ANYTHING differently.  I have one printer, two smart phones, and one laptop on the network.  That's it and none of those devices have been changed in anyway.
81 REPLIES 81
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Windows 10?
Chris11
Alum

Hello wbdavis,

Thanks for posting with your screenshots. As mentioned by Amanda and others, the main culprit of your usage is coming from Windows OS communication with its servers. Take a look at this thread here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1366836-windows-10-processor-100-network-100

I've combed through it a bit and see many users also experiencing the same thing. None HughesNet customers. This has nothing to do with the modem. I know this is frustrating, but we need to come to a consensus. HughesNet cannot control how Microsoft configures and manages its Operating system. 

Also, I'm a bit confused at one of your comments, maybe you can clarify. 

My printer settings in Windows are set to "OFF" under the title, "Download over metered connections". 

Are you saying you've set windows connection to metered, or just the printer? 

I've added token bandwidth to your account so that we can continue to help you monitor what is going on. I do appreciate you working with us to figure this out. The link I added has some great info that I think should help. Let us know if it does. 

Thank you,
Chris
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There have also been reports of the latest Windows update getting into an endless download/fail/download loop for some Windows 10 users.

Also it is important to note that Windows will revert to the default values of many settings that had be chosen previously.

Windows 10 is not a good choice of OS for anyone on a data capped service.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Windows 10 is not a good choice of OS for anyone on a data capped service.
Amen to that!
wbdavis

Using my phone here and the data from my phone company. Anyway, I have turned OFF the automatic updates from Windows 10. What else could it be?
wbdavis

Yes, be.ive had it for quite a while and this has only happened in the last 10 days. Do I need to go back in time since I might have received an update that has been causing this.
Amanda

Unfortunately without some registry tweaks, there is no true way to completely stop Automatic Updates on Win10. It will still do it, it just won't restart your computer or actually apply them until you've allowed it to. But they will download 😞

Also it is important to note that Windows will revert to the default values of many settings that had be chosen previously. - Gwalk

I bring this up from Gwalk because when I got the Anniversary Update from Microsoft in August, they re-installed Get Office Click-To-Run (ironic because it auto-runs), Skype, Get Skype, and all sorts of junk that auto-starts, auto-runs, and auto-uses-tons-of-data without my permission.

Now that I think back... Earlier in the week I factory reset Windows 10 in our lab, installed glasswire and CCleaner. Also uninstalled a ton of unnecessary things. I think I left it running. I'll go check on it.

Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You really can not turn off auto update in Win10

IF you are connected wirelessly you can set your connection under Win10's WiFi settings to "metered" but that will only delay the update.

When you do finally update Win10 it will have likely reset all your previous custom settings including undoing the "set to metered" setting.

In addition to updates, wind10 will collect data from your computer and "share it" with MS. It is known as "Telemetry".

You are mistaken in thinking you have turned off Win10 updates.

wbdavis

If this is all true then wouldn't EVERY user on Hughesnet be having some sort of problem?
wbdavis

Of course I mean Windows 10 users on a plan like mine. Why would you only be hearing from a few of us?
Amanda

Oh lordy. I thought I had disabled OneDrive. Also Looks like 3GB of the Host Process for Windows went to some domain listed as "c-0001.c-msedge.net". Still trying to figure out what it is.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"If this is all true then wouldn't EVERY user on Hughesnet be having some sort of problem?"

And they are, its just a matter of degree.

A Hughes Ultra 50/50 plan is going to take that usage in stride. Not good, but it can take it.

Many users are going to have a fair degree of computer experience and will have made changes to their systems to lessen the impact.

Again many user will be aware of the update/fail/update error that happens to some Win10 users and have taken steps to break that loop if it applies.

There are a number of Win10 options that you can disable that will lessen the impact ... Cortanna, One Drive and all Sync and Telemetry functions among them.

knerkin2
Freshman

Old Labs

And they are, its just a matter of degree.
And timing... the Anniversary Edition Upgrade has been steadily rolling out since August 2 and will not be completed until sometime in November. Sooner or later Microsoft's love is gonna getcha, it's just a matter of time - with all due credit to the Grass Roots ;).

I anticipate an ongoing rash of "unexplained usage" both here and elsewhere unless steps are taken to establish WIFI connections as metered and disable Windows Delivery Optimization (you'd see that on the upload counts).

As Gwalk mentions, once the Anniversary Edition Upgrade is installed, be sure to check that the settings are still those wanted.          
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Old Labs,

Its OK to mention Brand Ex here.

We all face a common enemy and its name is Microsoft Windows Update.

Old Labs

But then you guys will start calling me a shill for Brand Ex 😉
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hey, a shill is a shill, is shill, is a shill........one big happy family when it come to that!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A shill is a shill of course of course ....... and no one can talk to a shill of course ...
wbdavis

I left the room with 100% data. I came back 5 min later and had lost 50%.  
wbdavis

Checked out Birddogs information and think both Windows and HP were attempting to download even though I've turned off  "automatic updates" for both.  
Also took his advice and changed to Metered Connection which immediately stopped the downloads.