Hughesnet Community

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wbdavis

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

My problem began ONE WEEK AGO. I have had my current computer for about two years.  I've had Hughesnet for four years. I've never been overly happy with the SLOW service, but I've adjusted to it because really, it's my only option other than dial-up. 

I have not downloaded ANY new programs to my computer. I have not done ANYTHING differently than I've ever done before, but last Sunday I used all my daily data, and this has been happening every day since.  

I have rarely ever used all my daily data because I don't watch videos, stream music, etc because Hughesnet is just too slow for any of that.  All I do is browse the internet; that's IT.  I've called Hughesnet customer service three times and three times they can't explain this to me.  I get the same lame suggestion every single time.... unplug my LAN cable and call them back in two hours.... which I've done.  I've downloaded their suggested program Glasswire (which uses a lot of my data also!) and I've never been able to pinpoint what might be happening.  I can sit in front of my laptop and watch the status meter go down by 2% every minute until all my data is gone.  It's insane and THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, so someone please tell me why it's happening now and how I can fix it!!!  

I want to repeat that I haven't done ANYTHING differently.  I have one printer, two smart phones, and one laptop on the network.  That's it and none of those devices have been changed in anyway.
81 REPLIES 81
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As I stated in an earlier post, you really can't turn off Win updates on Win10 in the same manner that you could previous versions of Windows.

If you are connected by wire, you are going to get the updates.

If you only connect wirelessly you can prevent any and all Windows updates if you set your connection type to metered.

When you do again update Windows be sure to check your wifi settings again as the update will likely have reset everything to default values.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

wbdavis,

So it looks like Windows 10 updates were the culprit.  It would make sense, as the latest update was released on Sept 29th, which would correspond with the ten days that this has been going on.

I wonder if it's the mentioned loop problem that has been happening for some people, or that the update may not be able to finish due to not enough data allowance being available.  If the update is larger than your daily allowance, it would blow through it, of course, then when you shut down and start again the next day, it may start downloading all over again, especially since a shutdown probably wipes out what has already been downloaded. 

At least with it set to a metered connection you can control it. 

Edit - Just read a little more and see that HP was trying to download, too.  Surely that would just add to the problem of not enough data available.  Again, though, I'm glad you got it figured out and were able to adjust the settings accordingly. 

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

So I'm thinking it would be a good idea for us W10 folks to periodically check all our settings just to make sure nothing has changed.
Old Labs

After any major Windows 10 update, certainly. In this case, Windows 10 Anniversary moved the metered furniture around - setting metered previously applied to all WIFI connections, under the anniversary edition it's now maintained on a per WIFI connection basis - prevents having to change it every time you switch connections (e.g. work, home, school, McDonalds, Starbucks, library, etc.)   
donsmith2000

Well, I am running Windows 7 and do not allow automatic updates. I also don't have wireless enabled, nor do I have it on my switch. My phone doesn't connect through the switch nor through wireless on my CPUs. Yet I have the same spikes. And HughesNet can't explain that either.
GabeU

donsmith2000,

wbdavis discovered what the problem was, which turned out to be updates from both Windows and HP. 

My advice for you is to download and install Glasswire on your computer (this helped wbdavis, too).  It will tell you what is using data on the computer it's installed on.  It's free. 

https://www.glasswire.com/

donsmith2000

Windows can only update when I give permission. And I don't have an HP machine. And why did this only start last week?
GabeU

Windows can only update when I give permission.
Mostly, but not in every case.  Some things can still update through BITS, irrespective of your update settings.  

Again, install Glasswire.  
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Good to know!
GabeU

Windows 10 Anniversary moved the metered furniture around
Tell me about it.  I had my 26MB La-Z-Boy and my 146MB  dining room table and chairs just where I wanted them.  After the update they were all in the loft!  LOL.     
donsmith2000

Never mind, I will handle it. And just FYI, I am not logged in as an admin, so Win must ask my permission to change anything. Also, we are talking about 17 Gigs over a two day period. Even if BITS is updating, it is an insignificant amount. I will NOT download anything coming from I don't know where...besides, I have Wireshark.

Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

Glad to see that you were able to pinpoint what was using up data on your network. If something else does come up feel free to post again and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Chris
greythoundhe
New Poster

I totally disconnected the modem and put it on a table across the room. I shut down the computer. I disconnected the wifi router. I went outside to the dish and disconnected the cable.

An hour later I re-connected everything and started the system. I had lost 4 gigabytes according to the status meter. Glasswire showed no use of data.

It's time for the HughesNet people to stop handing out the BS. You've had this problem off and on for years. Time to fix it!
GabeU

greythoundhe,

I hope that you took screenshots of the before and after so you can post them and the reps can corroborate them with the time the modem was off.  Then again, perhaps they won't need them. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Of course Glasswire will show no use if the computer is turned off or totally disconnected from the internet.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Disconnecting the outside cable was a big mistake.
#1: you lost the modem log validation.
#2: you broke the greased weather seal on the outside connector.
WHAT ever could you have been thinking by NOT following the procedures that have been posted so many times.

Start the modem isolation test over.
Now that you broke the greased weather seal there is no way that anyone should "comp" you on a service call.
wbdavis

To all who are following this post. The culprit was Windows 10 update and HP update that both kept fail and trying to download over and over again. I finally got it all turned off and the problem is resolved.
Thank you for all your help.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks for sharing.

Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

Thanks for coming back and providing an update. Good to know. This is something to keep in mind that could help other customers in the future. Feel free to create a new post if you have anymore questions or concerns. 

Thank you,
Chris