cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

wbdavis

Re: Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

If this is all true then wouldn't EVERY user on Hughesnet be having some sort of problem?
wbdavis

Of course I mean Windows 10 users on a plan like mine. Why would you only be hearing from a few of us?
Amanda

Oh lordy. I thought I had disabled OneDrive. Also Looks like 3GB of the Host Process for Windows went to some domain listed as "c-0001.c-msedge.net". Still trying to figure out what it is.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

"If this is all true then wouldn't EVERY user on Hughesnet be having some sort of problem?"

And they are, its just a matter of degree.

A Hughes Ultra 50/50 plan is going to take that usage in stride. Not good, but it can take it.

Many users are going to have a fair degree of computer experience and will have made changes to their systems to lessen the impact.

Again many user will be aware of the update/fail/update error that happens to some Win10 users and have taken steps to break that loop if it applies.

There are a number of Win10 options that you can disable that will lessen the impact ... Cortanna, One Drive and all Sync and Telemetry functions among them.

knerkin2
Freshman

Old Labs

And they are, its just a matter of degree.
And timing... the Anniversary Edition Upgrade has been steadily rolling out since August 2 and will not be completed until sometime in November. Sooner or later Microsoft's love is gonna getcha, it's just a matter of time - with all due credit to the Grass Roots Smiley Wink.

I anticipate an ongoing rash of "unexplained usage" both here and elsewhere unless steps are taken to establish WIFI connections as metered and disable Windows Delivery Optimization (you'd see that on the upload counts).

As Gwalk mentions, once the Anniversary Edition Upgrade is installed, be sure to check that the settings are still those wanted.          
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Old Labs,

Its OK to mention Brand Ex here.

We all face a common enemy and its name is Microsoft Windows Update.

Old Labs

But then you guys will start calling me a shill for Brand Ex Smiley Wink
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hey, a shill is a shill, is shill, is a shill........one big happy family when it come to that!