cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Unexplained High Data Usage ALL OF A SUDDEN

Windows can only update when I give permission.
Mostly, but not in every case.  Some things can still update through BITS, irrespective of your update settings.  

Again, install Glasswire.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Good to know!
GabeU

Windows 10 Anniversary moved the metered furniture around
Tell me about it.  I had my 26MB La-Z-Boy and my 146MB  dining room table and chairs just where I wanted them.  After the update they were all in the loft!  LOL.     

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
donsmith2000

Never mind, I will handle it. And just FYI, I am not logged in as an admin, so Win must ask my permission to change anything. Also, we are talking about 17 Gigs over a two day period. Even if BITS is updating, it is an insignificant amount. I will NOT download anything coming from I don't know where...besides, I have Wireshark.

Chris11
Alum

Hi wbdavis,

Glad to see that you were able to pinpoint what was using up data on your network. If something else does come up feel free to post again and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Chris
greythoundhe
New Poster

I totally disconnected the modem and put it on a table across the room. I shut down the computer. I disconnected the wifi router. I went outside to the dish and disconnected the cable.

An hour later I re-connected everything and started the system. I had lost 4 gigabytes according to the status meter. Glasswire showed no use of data.

It's time for the HughesNet people to stop handing out the BS. You've had this problem off and on for years. Time to fix it!
GabeU

greythoundhe,

I hope that you took screenshots of the before and after so you can post them and the reps can corroborate them with the time the modem was off.  Then again, perhaps they won't need them. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Of course Glasswire will show no use if the computer is turned off or totally disconnected from the internet.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Disconnecting the outside cable was a big mistake.
#1: you lost the modem log validation.
#2: you broke the greased weather seal on the outside connector.
WHAT ever could you have been thinking by NOT following the procedures that have been posted so many times.

Start the modem isolation test over.
Now that you broke the greased weather seal there is no way that anyone should "comp" you on a service call.
wbdavis

To all who are following this post. The culprit was Windows 10 update and HP update that both kept fail and trying to download over and over again. I finally got it all turned off and the problem is resolved.
Thank you for all your help.