Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained and sudden bandwidth drainage started late July

Sophomore

Re: Unexplained and sudden bandwidth drainage started late July

8/13/15 Thursday morning startup 7:13 AM CST:13
Highlighted

Hi jimmie,     I used to use netguard quite a bit but ran into problems with it locking up my system at bootup... Not sure what caused it as it worked great for several months... Haven't used it for a few months but was going to attempt it again with this new windows 8.1 pc.... Is this the link you used to get to the above page: http://www.cucusoft.com/netguard.aspx

I just downloaded it from that page and installed without any problems through Firefox..    I did notice when first clicking the download button it appears as a    .aspx    file (which is unopenable through windows)  however after giving it roughly 15 seconds or soo it changed to the expected    .exe      file which i was able to download/save/install without issue....    Hopefully this helps some I'll finish fiddling with it later an let you know if it conflicts as it did in the past...     However I will be gone most the weekend an may not be able to reply till Monday but Gwalk is probably more familar with the current vervsion of netguard than I am...

As a side note when it worked it was a very usefull program and would definetely advise trying it or something similar simply because it gives a breakdown on the device its installed on of what programs/ports/ect    are accessing the internet as well as the amount of data being used... As well as a kept tally of data used by week/month/yr .       

The programs shown in your screenshot that windows suggested are totally different and will not help you with your data loss issue, looks to me like they are mostly used just to fix errors within your pc and no i wouldn't advise downloading as most the time they rope you in with a free trial but do not fix much of anything without paying for the full version!! When i need a good cleanup/repair product I simply use windows built in cleanup and then follow up with iobit advanced care (freeversion)...      If its incredibly buggy also have Iolo System Mechanic installed which includes maitenance as well as virus/spyware protection that runs automatically...   

Honorary Alumnus

High Jimmie,

Lets try this:

Use Internet Explorer

Before doing so however place your mouse on a blank space on the desktop, right click, select NEW. select FOLDER, name the new folder NetGuard Download.

That will create an empty destination folder for the download on your desktop

This link:

http://www.cucusoft.com/netguard.aspx#Net_Guard_User_Guide

Will give you this page:

That page will give a description and the "download" button;

When you click the download button you should see this at the bottom of your screen:

Click the small "down arrow" just to the right of "save" and select "save as"

that will open a window like this:

In the left pane click on DESKTOP, that will display the contents of your desktop in the right hand pane, look for and click in the NetGuard Download folder you created earlier, click OPEN, click SAVE.

That will steer the destination of the download to the target folder.

When the download is complete, open the folder and you should see the download as an .EXE file (executable)

Clicking on the netguard.exe will start the install process.

Sophomore

Thanks Gwalk. I'm going to give this another try. I have printed your instructions so I can follow them carefully. Thank you for your help and I will get back with you.
Sophomore

I got it installed and took a look at all the tabs. I did NOT use the KILL option for anything. I did find something in svchost.exe that could be the problem. I did highlight one of them and saw the kill option pop up. I looked that up in Google and saw that they are sometimes needed. I do not know what kill means in this context. Does it mean delete or disable? And how do I know which ones are needed? I have screen shots of all tabs coming right up.

Sophomore

I sure hope this can help you to help me and I do want to say, I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Associate Professor

The statements section is so you can create a report on usage over the course of time.  svchost is talking to the modem, this is most likely a basic query of some form.  Keep an eye on the programs for anything that will use an alarming amount of data, and keep note of EVERYTHING you do that day, whether it's browsing facebook, or playing a game online, or reading emails.

Also, on the Net Monitor tab, can you sort by Recv Traffic and have it show the largest numbers at the top and let us see it? then do the same for Sent Traffic.
Sophomore

Hi Charles R. Scott. I do see something that alarms me and will post a screen shot. I hate to look like a dummy but I do not know how to do what you ask. I am totally out of my area of expertise here. I do not see a sort button but if you will tell me how to do what you request, I will do my best to accomplish it. And thank you for your help. Now for that screen shot:
Associate Professor

Hmm, neither of those are large, could be normal network chatter honestly...  When you click the Recv Traffic button right above those red circles you made, it will re-organize that list, you may have to click it twice to get it to show the largest usage processes at the top.
Honorary Alumnus

Jimmie,
I'm on my Nook right now so rather limited,
Look at my post on the previous page,
You want the "statement" function. You can set the date range ... you have just installed the program so its accumulated data will be limited.
Do a custom statement for today.
It will list the top ten download program/processes and the top ten upload program/processes.
Post a screenshot of that if you can.