Unhappy customer - slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gikoepp
New Poster

Unhappy customer - slow speeds

Been with HughesNet since December 2016.  We are very unhappy with the internet service.  We wer promised up to 20 Meg downloads, rarely exceeds 10.  Promised up to 2 Meg uploads, rarely exceeds .5  Have called and complained, customer service reps are polite but out speeds never increase.

We have a 60 Gig allotment, but will never even get close to using it because the speeds are so slow.  Trying to FaceTime with family and friends is an exercise in frustration.  Screen freezes up, voice has 2-4 second delay.  

This is a poor excuse for internet service and we want out of our contract.  Even DishNet was faster than this.  Stiff data limits, but at lease it worked.

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gikoepp

You've come to the right place to get help.  In order to help with speed issues, some speed tests need to be run at testmy.net .  If you haven't already, you should sign up for an account at testmy.net and run the tests while signed in to that account.  They need to be run with a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable, and using the manual 12MB download speed test.  That test size is assuming you are still on the Gen4 plan from when you signed up in December.  If you have upgraded to Gen5, use the manual 25MB download speed test.  

The following macro gives the protocols for the test, some of which I've already mentioned above due to their importance.  Your Results URL can be found in the address bar of the Results page when you are signed in.   

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

maratsade

"We wer promised up to 20 Meg downloads, rarely exceeds 10.  Promised up to 2 Meg uploads, rarely exceeds .5 "

Yes, up to.  Not 20 Mb downloads,but up to that number. 

You will need to run the tests if you want techs to look at your issue. Also, you can get out of your contract, but there is a fine for breaking the contract before the term ends.  Check the information at legal.hughes.com.

tifors

Same here...I upgraded from the 4... Was expecting faster internet ... I've been trying to get issues fixed since it was installed on 1/06/18... I'm also a very dissatisfied customer...they advertise on TV the gen5 is so much better even for people like me that live in the country.... I've been hung up on and been transfered to like 7 people to try and get it fixed...and each one ask the same **bleep** questions over and over.... And they say they can't send anyone to the house unless they charge you for service call...which is **bleep**.... They need to fix they're mess up
GabeU

@tifors

There are acknowledged issues presently with speed, with some being affected more than others.  They are presently working on the issue and are beginning to fix it.  

However, if you'd like to troubleshoot your individual speed issue please start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

Lastly, this is a public site with rules and guidelines.  Please watch the language, even if the intended words are bleeped out.