Unknown hardware on my network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pnone11
New Poster

Unknown hardware on my network

Do other people have my modem ip address? When I saw large chunks of data disapering I checked my network. I have seen unknown computers on my network. FULL_BISKIT, MEDIATEK and CSM_RADAR. They are not my devices. I changed my modem password and they still appear. I belive other people are stealing my data. I that posible? Do I need a new modem?

5 REPLIES 5

Assuming you are talking about a ht2000 modem, you have to password it in four different places.   I didn't realize this myself, back when I was having trouble with an I-phone eating up my data.  If you leave one radio unprotected an I-phone will find it.

Just FYI:

FULL_BISKIT looks suspiciously like FULL_BISCUIT.  The latter is an amazon echo dot device

MEDIATEK is a maker of chips for smart phones and tablets.

CSM_RADAR is an amazon device.

Looks to me like you may have left a radio unprotected  on your WIFI and these devices are in range and have found it.

Very sneaky creatures, data leeches.  :>)>

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@pnone11 

Where is it that you're seeing these other devices?  The reason I ask is that they may simply be devices that are within range, but not anything that is actually connected to your network.  

For what is and was connected to your HughesNet modem since the last time the modem was powered, please see this page.  

It is possible for others to connect to your HughesNet modem via WiFi in order to use your data instead of their own, but they would need to not only be within range of your WiFi, they would need your password, and that you changed the password, yet again saw those devices, most likely means that they are just devices within range, as suggested above.  That is, unless you actually see them as connected (or disconnected) on the page in the given link.  

For a neighbor to know your password they would have to either be visually spying on you to see you enter it, or they would have to specifically target you through the net, which would be VERY difficult due to HughesNet using shared IP addresses.  

It's not at all uncommon for me to see my neighbor's WiFi devices in my own device's available WiFi connections list.  Specifically, I see their Smart TV, their pickup truck, and their home router.   

As for your high data usage, there are apps/programs that can monitor the data usage of each of your devices.  The app/programs vary, dependant on device type and OS used.  If you determine that the issue above is what I suggested, and you would still like help with the high data usage, please let us know what devices you use so we can suggest what programs/apps to use in this endeavor.  Not specifics, but like "Android phone", "Windows laptop", etc.  

I tried the link you posted,   it looks to me like the times are in in GMT.  If so, that seems to me to be a totally useless bit of information for troubleshooting a network.  Well, I guess it could be useful if you have a telescope on your network.  :>)>

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gaines_wright wrote:

I tried the link you posted,   it looks to me like the times are in in GMT.  If so, that seems to me to be a totally useless bit of information for troubleshooting a network.  Well, I guess it could be useful if you have a telescope on your network.  :>)>

Firstly, as stated, it shows connected and disconnected devices since last modem power up.  If the OP doesn't see the stated devices there, they aren't connected to the network.  That is, unless the OP is using a 3rd party router.   

Secondly, I'm sorry you find it to be a "totally useless bit of information for troubleshooting a network" due to the times being in GMT.  The rest of us, however, can subtract the required number of hours to convert GMT to our time zone.   

Liz

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. I hope Gabe's suggestions helped. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!