cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsatisfied with Service

Highlighted
Spectator

Unsatisfied with Service

I'm new to Hughes.  When speaking with the salesperson, I asked questions about what happens when I hit my limit.  I was advised that I could still stream, but probably wouldn't be able to game.  I don't game anyway, so I wasn't concerned about that.  The salesperson could not specifically identify what the speed would drop to, but assured me that streaming and VPN would work fine at the lower speed.  Now, I see that I get reduced to 1 MB or less.  I can't VPN on that, and can just barely stream Netflix.  Further, I have WiFi calling on my cell phone, which is the only way I can use it where I live.  With speed being that slow, I can't even have a voice call.  I'm terribly unsatisfied with the service, especially after being told that I would still be able to perform "normally" at reduced speed.  Plus, even within one month, I wanted to swtich back to DSL, but Hughes tells me I have to pay $400 to get out of my contract.  Again, the salesperson told me $200, which I might go ahead and do.  The only suggestions I get from Hughes is to buy tokens.  Really?  3GB for $9?  No thanks.  If I'm using that much in a day, you're going to break me if I do that.  I feel like I was lied to by sales, and accounting won't let me cancel within 3 weeks of having service.  I'm disgusted, and won't recommend this service to anyone ever.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Unsatisfied with Service

jeremy2110, 

With you feeling that you were misled, you can request a review of the sales call, though your post may be enough for the rep to do so without having to ask.  You may have recourse.   

With that said, WiFi calling is not supported with Hughesnet, no matter the speed.  If you can get it to work, that's a plus, but again, it's not supported.  

And with that said, Hughesnet does offer their own VOIP service.

Again, though, with you feeling that you were misled, you can request a review of the sales call  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Good morning Jeremy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We certainly would like to get to the bottom of your sales call. I've located your account so I can request a sales call review. Once I have any updates I'll post back.

To clarify, VPN is not suggested for satellite internet as it can slow your speeds down to 50% - 70%. Details about our Fair Access Policy can be found on our legal site, which also covers reduced speeds when the monthly data allowance is exceeded, but keep in mind that speeds are not guaranteed

Regarding WiFi calling, GabeU has already addressed that (thanks Gabe!).

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated while your sales call is reviewed.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your patience while your call was reviewed. During the discussion around reduced speeds, the sales rep did give a range of 1-3 Mbps down for reduced speeds and explained that you can still stream in Standard Definition. There was no mention of VPN usage here or at any point during the sales call. However, I was troubled by the rep not setting proper expections when she essentially made our system out to be storm proof; that is certainly not the case. Inclement weather at your site and even at your gateway location, which may be in a different part of the US, can certainly affect network performance. Snowfall and snow on the dish can also affect service. I apologize for the rep misspeaking about that.  

Thank you again for bringing this up, your feedback is valued and helps us improve our services to others.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page, so I will send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.