Unusable Product & Horrible Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doctor_Annnoyed
New Poster

Unusable Product & Horrible Service

I understand the challenges of data management. I have been a customer for less than 2 months. On day 1 of month 2, I used all my data (magically). Fine, that’s the price I pay. From May 19 through June 7, we averaged speeds @ 0.3 MBPS, and obscene latency. On June 7, I asked for a technician to come check my equipment, as this could not be correct. I was told I didn’t have enough data in my plan to troubleshoot. A few days later, I called to speak with someone about my concerns. Kim(Kate?) upgraded me for free and promised that if I still had issues I would be let out of my contract free. 36 hours later, I have 80% of my data remaining, yet websites can’t fully load - including my.hughesnet. They advised me to download the usage meter, but I could not download any files while on the hughesnet service. I did a chat with Phil, and the chat lag/latency/QOS was so poor that Phil had to call me. He sent time to Joseph the supervisor to schedule a technician. Joseph once again promised free cancellation if the service won’t work. This morning, the technician shows up (late, and rescheduling), looks at some app on his phone, and says that’s just the way it is. According to his speed test I have good speed. I show him my laptop unable to load websites, download files, use apps that need internet. He shrugs and says “Hughesnet sucks”. So, per instructions I called to cancel. I then got to spend 90 minutes with Ben explaining to me how satellites work and how the speed test says everything should be fine. He then conveniently was unable to hear me clearly on the phone. I have videos and screen captures showing a service that does not work, irrespective of what their stupid speed test shows. But as it’s not in their call center script, they simply cannot handle that.

This is mainly just a vent post to say, record every conversation you have with this liars and scam artists. They will say whatever they think you want to hear in order to steal your time and money. I used another 5GB today alone just following their stupid trouble shooting. Some say some internet is better than no internet, but I say to those people - you haven’t seen hughesnet in action yet.
8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Doctor_Annnoyed 

There's nothing "magical" about high data usage.  It's one of two things.  A technical issue, either related to the connection between the dish and the satellite or your device(s) and the modem (WiFi), or something legitimately using the data that you are likely not aware of.  Chances are likely that it's the latter.  As well, at the rate of data usage you're describing, that some web pages won't open, including those needing to verify credentials, would not be unusual.  

For Windows based computers try Glasswire, which will monitor every bit of data used by the computer it's installed on, including what's used it.  The free version is fine.   Make sure to set the options like so...

Screenshot (16).jpg

As well, with Windows based computers, espcially Windows 10, refrain from using OneDrive and Windows Optimization, both of which can chew through data, especially the former.  

Satellite TV receivers are also advised against connecting to HughesNet, as there is no way to control the data they can use.  So, if you have one connected, you should sever that connection.  Gaming consoles can also use a lot of data, even when they are off, or rather in standby.  

You can see what you have connected to HughesNet here.  It shows what is presently connected, and what was connected, but is no longer, since the last time the HughesNet modem was plugged in.  This way you can see if something has been connected that you don't remember.    

This post and this post may also help you.  

If you'ld like help in figuring out what is using your data, please read through the above information to see if anything helps.  You may also need to perform some troubleshooting or answer further questions to figure out what is going on.  Please also keep in mind that this Support Community is not the same as the phone help.  

Thank you GabeU for the prototypical Hughesnet response, and further illustrating my point. Mention some variant of the phrase “data usage” and that colors all possible responses.
What you have mentioned is not helpful. You have asked me to download Glasswire. I can show you that, the speed test result ranges from 19 - 79 mbps and yet I cannot download Glasswire from my house. I have to leave my house to do tasks like this.

Further, I understand forum is not the same as chat, phone, or physical support. I am just frustrated that no one can tell me why an internet service provider doesn’t provide usable internet service.
Last night I did a hard reset of my modem. I put one device online. After it came back online, for 30 minutes my 2g and 5g connections took turns dropping. My 5ghz showed 79MBPS, but true hughesnet data usage application, available on my hughesnet com, would not download.
So no, I do not need help determining what device is using what data. I need help determining why I am paying $90 for a service that does not allow me to actually use the internet.
The fact that hughesnet support, regardless of channel or medium, can only focus on data usage or speed test results should be embarrassing to the entire telecom community. As should the avoidance of physical, tangible evidence of a problem unrelated to data usage or speed.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Doctor_Annnoyed 

Two things:

First, I'd be very careful about performing a hard reset on your modem.  If you do it the wrong way you can cause an issue that requires a truck roll to get your back online, and which you'd be responsible for paying for.  

Secondly, I'm sure the reps will reply.   They are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST. 

Good luck to you.  

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting.

So we can begin addressing your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day.

Post your test results link here in your thread. If you're working with us in the community or social media, only testmy.net speed test results are accepted to be considered for escalation to our corporate engineers. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (wifi must be disabled*, NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used for testing)

-use the 25MB size download test file  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in-depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://hninfo.us/speedtest

*If you don't know how to disable the wifi in the HT2000W, read "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

Click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, 2.4Ghz Guest, 5Ghz, 5Ghz Guest).

Thank you @Hardy for the response and suggestion. My question is this: if my issues persist regardless of speed test result, why is that test continually what is requested? Is there not a part of the customer service script with an option to diverge from speed test result?

Michael, 

You are welcome. That is the correct link, thanks. We request speed tests to understand how we need to escalate the issue. If the speeds are good, but you are still experiencing slow service, it can be an underlying issue with equipment possibly.

It seems you have a ticket open with our Executive Customer Care, and I can see they have attempted to reach you. It looks as though they try to call in the early afternoon, and I am sure they will attempt to try and call you again tomorrow.

-Felicia

Michael,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.