Unuseable Service for my needs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpass12
Freshman

Unuseable Service for my needs

I foolishly had Hughesnet install a dish and activate a 10GB monthly service (last April), specifically used for my cabin cameras and alarm system. There hasn't been a day where my cameras get disconnected several times per day. I have called tech support and they have done a few tweeks remotely but my service has not improved a bit. I sometimes am able to view a "live view" of my Blink cameras but most of the times it times out and immediately lose connection. Mind you I have Blink at home too and never have these issues. I swapped the Blink module to see if that was the problem but it didn't help. I decided to disconnect my Amazon echo dot since it just didn't work and would not stream Pandora at any time.

The Blink cameras are inside and outside pointing to the doors avoiding any areas with movement like trees etc. in order to minimize false triggers. This was in order to minimize data usage.

When I visit my cabin, I know I will be using my mobile phone hotspot for my data needs because I am unable to use Hughesnet for anything. Netflix, what's that? Pandora, forget it. Basic email on my phone, not happening. Basically I am paying $70 a month for sporadic and extremly slow speeds. 

The reason I have not cancelled is due to the fact that the have outragoeus cancellation fees and the only other option is a hot spot from AT&T. 

During the sales call I was told that the service would be more than enough to use my Blink cameras and alarm system which requires an internet connection. I specifically asked about streaming Netflix and was told that it would work no problems. I don't event try to use Netflix because I know it will not work at all. 

Basically my cabin is used sporadically and the only use I attempt to receive from Hughesnet is a steady connection that can support my Blink Cameras and Simplisafe alarm and it fails misserably. The data use required by either is minimal so I doubt that I am hitting any data caps. 

During the last call to tech support, they told me they realigned the dish (not sure if that is even possible remotely, but that is what they told me) and the speeds seem to have gotten worse (didn't know that was even possible). 

Kids school homework while visiting the cabin is done through mobile phone hot spot because when they connect to the Hughesnet router they receive a notification that there is no internet connection. 

I can't perform speed tests because it requires an internet connection and it seems like my phone receives zero internet when connected to the Hughesnet router. Same with my wife's phone or kid's tablets. 

I am suspecting:

A. Dish is out of alignment (the cabin is in a high wind area) I checked the antenna on Sunday to see if it was lose but it seemed pretty sturdy and without any movement. 

B. Faulty equipment

C. I am just expeting too much and this is what I get for $70 a month. 

I will give Hughesnet another chance but only if an actual tech comes an physically checks dish alignment and equipment. 

Anyone having similar issues and is tech support able to do anything to improve my situation? 

P.S. The first month of service, things seem to work ok. Speeds weren't fast but at least I could stream Pandora on my phone. We were able to watch a movie (one time)  without too much buffering but we did have issues with the Fire TV disconnecting or losing connection as if the Hughesnet router would reject the connection. Currently, trying to stream Netflix on a mobile device is impossible even during the first day of the data cycle.

Coincidentaly, with just one bar of signal on my iPhone with AT&T I can stream movies. 

10 REPLIES 10