Unusually Slow Speeds and Regular Disconnects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colby
Sophomore

Unusually Slow Speeds and Regular Disconnects

Hey guys. For the past two or three weeks (maybe longer) I've been having unusually slow speeds and regular disconnects. I know I am currently in FAP right now, but this issue has been present even when at full data (in the past the connection is usually ok, even when FAP). With past issues, usually restarting the system would correct the issue, but not this time around. I was hoping this would correct itself, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm really hoping to get some help resolving the issue, because this connection is barely usable. I understand more people are at home using the service during COVID, but still, I'm paying for a service I can barely use.

For example, it took me several attempts to load this page to make a post. When trying to load a Youtube video, the video will often not even load at all. Even when pausing and letting it sit for a while. Also, images often won't load on websites such as Facebook, reddit, etc. This occurs on all devices (my laptop, iPhone, and wife's iPhone).

On the diagnostics page most columns are filled with red X's under "uplink". Not sure if this helps or not.

Thanks for any help!

28 REPLIES 28
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Colby 

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They'll be the ones to help you with this.  They usually respond within a working day, so hopefully you'll see a reply from one tomorrow. 

In the meantime, if you don't already, it would be best to leave your modem plugged in so that it not only keeps/builds up some logs, but more importantly, so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything's amiss.  

The speed issue may be tied to some sort of problem, which the reps may be able to see.  The normal procedure for speed issues is running some speed tests as outlined here, but being that you're seeing red Xs and you're experiencing what appears to be more than speed issues, and even further, that you're presently out of data and in FAP, you should hold off on the testing unless and until told otherwise by a HughesNet rep.

@Liz @Damian @Remy 

Ok, thanks! I'll leave it plugged in and not restart for the time being. I hope to hear something before too long.

Colby,

I looked into your account, and from what I'm seeing, your dish is out of alignment. That'd definitely explain the issues you've been having! If you could actually unplug the modem from the power box, I'll be able to go ahead and send you out a technician. The errors on your modem are continuously cycling through, and due to that, the system currently isn't allowing me to set up a tech visit. Please let me know when you're able to!

Thanks,

Remy

That makes sense! I can unplug the modem tonight when I go to bed and leave it unplugged while I"m at work tomorrow. Thanks!

Colby,

I was able to go ahead and get a dispatch set up for you! I waived the according fees and set it for the earliest available date we had, Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The technician will call you before arriving, so you can take that opportunity to reschedule if need be. Please let us know how the visit goes!

Thanks,

Remy

Ok, I'll be here. Thanks!

@Remy,

I wanted to provide an update on my connection issues. A couple of techs came to the home today and readjusted the dish. I wasn't here at the time, as I was expecting them tomorrow, but my wife was here. Anyway, she said they spent about 20 minutes adjusting the dish and the connection seemed to have improved when they left. However, we are having the same exact issues this evening. Regular disconnects and keep getting a bunch of red X on "uplink". Also, getting packet loss. It took me multiple tries to even open a google page. It's like my connection will be fine for a few minutes, then go through a cycle where it's unusable. The unusable cycle happens a lot! During these cycles I can't even open a webpage, or send a basic text message with iMessage. Pretty much all I can do is open the systemcontrolcenter.com page. I know i'm in FAP, but this seems to be something other than that.

This happens on all devices and the weather is fine here. There doesn't appear to be anything blocking line of sight either. As this has been going on for weeks, I doubt it's poor weather at the other location. I'm attaching a picture of my packet loss (not sure if helps). Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Packet LossPacket Loss

GabeU

@Colby 

Just out of curiosity, what is your current Satellite Receive Signal Strength?  You can find it in the WAN Info box on this page.  If you can't use the link because you can't connect with HughesNet, go to the System Control Center like you do when you're going to run a Connectivity Test, and click on System Status at the top of the page.  

Also, do you know where your gateway is?  If not, what is your Satellite Name and Beam ID in the Satellite box on this page?  Again, if you can't get to it, go to the Connectivity Test page and click on System Information at the top of the page.  

So...

1.  Satellite Receive Signal Strength

2.  Satellite Name

3.  Beam ID

This isn't to solve the issue or anything, but rather strictly out of curiosity.  I'm just wondering how strong your current connection is and what the weather is like at your gateway, which I can glean from the satellite name and beam id, in the off chance that what's happening currently is due to bad weather at the gateway.  Chances are it's not, but I wanted to check, just in case.

@GabeU It looks like my signal strength is sitting at 93 right now. Also, I'm on Echostar 19. Gateway ID:5, Beam ID: 67, and Outroute ID: 2.

I'm seeing this more often than I should too. 

Web Acceleration.png

@Colby 
The ground stations in both Boise (where your's is) and Missoula are having issues and are being worked.

#patience

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote: 

The ground stations in both Boise (where your's is) and Missoula are having issues and are being worked. 

I thought there had been a second one mentioned (in addition to Missoula), but I couldn't remember which one it was.  I have since found the post.

I'm getting concerned, because I think I'm beginning to see the beginnings of this on SDO as well. Real long dropouts, broken pipes during sftp... very strange behavior.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Is this an issue with ground stations or with CL?

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm getting concerned, because I think I'm beginning to see the beginnings of this on SDO as well. Real long dropouts, broken pipes during sftp... very strange behavior.

Don't think this is CL because I'm seeing massive delays before it even gets to CL.

maratsade

Well, bollix.  Smiley Frustrated

@MarkJFine wrote:

Don't think this is CL because I'm seeing massive delays before it even gets to CL.

maratsade

I wonder if the mods could get an update on this situation.

@MarkJFine wrote:

#patience

Colby,

If you were on site when the technician arrived and worked on your service, were you able to see what exactly he did? I've been looking and waiting for an update, but on our end it states you still have a bad alignment and there isn't mention of what exactly the technician did on site, as there normally is. It shows that he went out there and completed a repair, but no mention of what that repair was.

Thanks,

Remy

@Remy, I wasn't on site when the tech came. A tech called a day earlier (from regular scheduled appointment) and asked if he could go ahead and come out. Since my wife happened to be off work, she told him to come on. She said that two guys showed up. One guy stayed in the truck while the other guy appeared to tighten something on the back of the dish. She said he had some device "like a cell phone" that was beeping during the process. Told her we were not aligned properly, but fixed. He also said that we would "still be slow" because of FAP. She says that he was here for maybe 15 or 20 minutes.

I knew something had to be going on because I continue to lose connection on a regular basis.

Thanks for any help!

Colby,

Unfortunately, since it's still cycling through errors, I'm going to need you to unplug your modem again. Please let me know what time frame it will be down so I can go ahead and create a new dispatch to be sent out to you!

Thanks,

Remy