cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Ditching the dish

Professor

Re: Update: Ditching the dish

Yes, the learning curve is a bit steep, and the subscriber has to do things on their side of the connection, since HN doesn't live there and can only diagnose things on their side of the connection, and if they diagnose them and they are fine, then the problem is on the subscriber side and the subscriber has to do the sleuthing.  This is the same with  other ISPs such as Comcast or Verizon (I've had to do troubleshooting with both; they only check their side). This is not to say that your time doesn't have value, because it does, of course it does. But it's the reality of ISPs. 

For anyone who seriously wants to try dialup, it's totally free through Juno

Potential subscribers need to also keep in mind that the service works for most of the customer base -- what you see here and on other sites is a small percentage of the 1.4m customers the company has.  Because most people who are satisfied with the service don't post on this and other sites, people may get a view that's askew.  And as those of us who are on this site know, many people get their issues solved with a bit of tweaking and detective work on both sides. 

dcarolan wrote:
I feel like I should get a degree or at least some sort of certification, I’ve spent so much time studying ways to minimize data usage in the past six months.

Turned off any and all auto updates, prevented launch of videos and sound files. Pop up blockers, add blockers.

Sheesh. My time has value. I’m tired of wasting it to try to come in under a data limit, with every attempt making little to no difference.

If you guys like all of the work it apparently takes to have (actually pretty slow) internet service, more power to you. At one point, I started researching dial up.

Distinguished Professor IV

@dcarolan wrote: 
If you guys like all of the work it apparently takes to have (actually pretty slow) internet service, more power to you. At one point, I started researching dial up.

It actually didn't take very long for me to lock down the items on my network.  I know where every byte is going.  As for my speeds, they're fine, and very often above the 25Mbps advertised.

Again, it's a process of elimination, and data monitoring software needs to be installed and/or used on each device it can be.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Process of elimination was my strategy. I eliminated every device except for one.

Then, I followed the directions in the articles on this site and advice from this forum. Again, I turned off all auto updates. I turned off any automatic streaming of video and audio. I blocked adds. I blocked pop ups. I advised my mother not to watch videos or stream music.

At best, I got 4 to 5 gbps. Data usage was typically a little less than a gig a day with all those measures in place.

I have been too busy with “life” to do anything more. Now the final step in my process of elimination is started. I’m eliminating service, at what for me is no small expense. I got the instructions and I’m removing the radio today.

Maddening as the placement of the dish is, I suppose I can be thankful it isn’t on the roof.

Edit: I meant 400 to 500 mbps. Less than 1 gbps. Anyway, thanks all for suggestions. I wish things had worked out for me as well as they have for you.