Hughesnet Community

Upgrade From HN9000

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lakeranger1

Upgrade From HN9000

I'm relatively new to this forum but I've viewed it a few times in the past.  I've been a faithful customer of Hughesnet for over 10 years, even though I haven't been a satisfied customer for any of that time.  In fact I've been dissatisfied since I started the service.  My modem, an HN9000, is about 8 years old and occasionally needs a reset to work.  Now I hear that there are much newer modems available.  What is the procedure to receive a new modem, such as the HT1100?  I'm also a Dish Network customer to deliver my TV service.  They keep sending me attractive bundle offers to switch, along with AT&T, my cellphone carrier, that now owns DirecTV and their satellite internet provider.  All of these offers are better than my current Hughesnet plan. I'm now considering to switch unless Hughesnet can provide a newer modem with more consistent download speeds that are better than 2Mbps.  I've called Hughesnet but their phone customer service representatives say they cannot assist me and that I should switch services.  I guess customer loyalty doesn't matter to Hughesnet.
32 REPLIES 32
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It depends if you are within a beam location from the newer satellite in order to use the HT1100 modem.

What does it show after you enter the info here: http://internet.hughesnet.com/plans-and-pricing.html ?
Lakeranger1

All that site shows after I entered my info is that Hughesnet is available in my area.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should show the plans available. That will relate to what satellite(s) footprint you are in.
Lakeranger1

Indicates "Connect" and "Connect Pro" plans are available.  How does this relate to upgrading my modem?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If those are the only two plans available for your area, then you can only use an HN9000 in your area...  Will be around 2017ish before anyone outside of the Jupiter footprint can get something better than an HN9000.
Liz

Good morning Lakeranger, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. As sgoshe and Charles have already noted, you're outside of the Jupiter satellite's footprint, so your only HughesNet option is to have either the Connect or Connect Pro plan on the HN9000 modem.

We've run remote diagnostics on your site to determine if there was anything wrong with the HughesNet equipment and their connection to the satellite, and all is clear.

To help us address your speed concern, please connect your computer directly to the modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. 

Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Your patience and cooperation is appreciated, and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Lakeranger1

Liz,  Thank you for the response.  I ran 5 consecutive speed tests this morning and all were very, very slow.  I'll run a few more groups of 5 tests over the next 24 hours or so.  I assume you can read the speed test results without any input from me.  I'm looking forward to your recommendations based on the speed test results.
Liz

Thanks Lakeranger, I do see your speed test results. These will help us build your case for escalation to our engineers. 

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Lakeranger1

Liz,  It's been over 24 hrs. and I have done 23 speed tests with an average of 266 Kbps, which is extremely slow, even for dial up service.  Please help!  And thanks for escalating my case to your engineers.  Hopefully they can fix this.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Lakeranger, it may be after monday before you get a response on here due to weather in Maryland.  The customer support reps on here (Liz, Katie, Chris, Amanda) are based in that region.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Dial-up is 56 kbps so 266 is significantly more. Not saying it is good but only making the point dial-up is really, really slow.

Found this dial-up emulator: http://www.56k-emulator.co.uk/
Liz

Good morning Lakeranger,

I know today our campus is closed, save for essential personnel, due to the aftermath of the winter storm, so there may be a delay on working on this. However, I will continue to keep you updated as soon as I have any news for you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

-Liz

Lakeranger1

Liz,  Thanks for your concern but I'm getting frustrated waiting for my download speed to increase from about 300Kbps.  You'll notice I've been checking it daily.  I understand that the storm delayed working on the issue but it's now been a few days and nothing apparently has been done.  Please expedite getting my download speeds up to a reasonable speed.  Thanks --
Liz

Hi Lakeranger,

I'm trying to gather your site diagnostics together, but I'm getting a general error message regarding your equipment. Can you please connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem and let me know so that I can try again?

While we work on addressing your speed concerns, I've credited your account for one month's service.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Lakeranger1

I replied in a PM reply but maybe you didn't get it.  I connected the HughesNet modem directly to the computer a couple of hours ago.  I'll keep it connected this way until about 7:00PM CST.  If you cannot check it during this time please message me to disconnect my router again.  Thanks --
Liz

Hi Lakeranger,

Thank you, I have the information I need. I'll keep you posted.

-Liz

Liz

Hi Lakeranger,

Our engineers would like some speed tests during the day as well as at night (non-peak and peak hours).

Please follow the directions here to run speed tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem via testmy.net.  
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

In the end we need at least 3 tests spaced at least 5 min apart using the 12 MB test file. So three tests during the day, three at night, please. You will have a results URL you can post here so we can track that if more tests are done. 

If you have questions, please let me know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Lakeranger1

I completed the speed tests on 2/3/16 using www.testmy.net.  Here's the requested URL
http://testmy.net/quickstats/LAKERANGER
Unfortunately I originally posted the response by PM directly to Liz.  Since I haven't heard back from Liz in over a week I have now posted the URL here.  Hopefully Liz will read it and respond with whatever assistance is needed to increase my speeds.
Thanking you in advance,
Lakeranger

><> 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Those speeds are excellent for an HN9000 system, nothing like the 2 Mbps you stated in your original post.

Really should run some new ones, those are a week old now. Better to run them over several days not just one morning and night. Right now though those tests look great.

Will be Monday before Liz is back. Just us chickens on the weekends.
Lakeranger1

But these speeds are NOT what the Hughesnet speed test indicates.  And Hughesnet had always been adamant that we use their speed test as they said the others were not accurate.  My computer doesn't act like I'm getting these speeds as it's very slow at downloading.  Also Testmy.net uses a different scale than Hughesnet (Mb/s vs Kbps).  Hughesnet is between 200-300Kbps and Testmy.net shows 1.2Mb/s.  How do these compare?