cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade observations

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Upgrade observations

There are just sooo many little details that if you don't live, eat and breath this stuff every day, you re soon behind the "Hughes Curve."

If you promise not to handle the next incident like a common snarky little internet troll, your apology is accepted. I have a number of hobbies that have led me to subscribe to a number of boards (woodworking, tractors, home improvement, etc.) and it seems there is always the resident "expert" on everything that only serves to "humiliate", never "participate". My reaction to all of them is exactly the same as my reaction to your first reply. But anyway, still waiting to hear from Netgear on my new router. I should have resisted the offer from the installer on switching the router since my old Linksys router (G54 I think) was old but reliable. I didn't like the console interface software though and I'm guessing the technology of the router itself has not improved much (what's to change?) but the interface has. Gotta love tech...no improvements at all on the underlying product but we upgrade to make it easier to use.  
Associate Professor

Consumer grade routers have changed drastically over the years, especially if you look at the old WRTG54 and compare that to something like a NightHawk or better router.
Associate Professor

Regardless of the code, many routers have a PIN that can be cracked in under 12 hours by most computers using a brute force attack.  Look into setting up Mac Address Filtering on your router, will help curb that basic attack on wireless routers.

The old router was a Linksys. I don't think that was the cause of the data "leakage". The old "9000" modem had been showing a "pointing error" for a while and I'm sure its attempts to improve the signal strength caused a lot of "leakage"...but damned if I was going to pay them $150 to come out and repoint it knowing that the frequent need to climb out the window to clear ice/snow probably would result in repeated trips at $150 per trip.  The Gen4 points to a little farther west and it was not going to work (trees) so he moved it next to the Dish network dish.  At least now nobody has to crawl out the window on a snow/ice covered roof but rather can knock off the junk with a long stick from inside. The new Netgear router I bought from the installer...let's just say that a sucker is born every minute...I'll go search for some sucker food...
Associate Professor

I honestly wouldn't recommend a Netgear router, ever, when it comes to Hughesnet.  I have the Netgear NightHawk and it gives nothing but strange issues with Hughes, especially when IPv6 is enabled.  Don't really use it as my router anymore, but it makes a very nice wireless access point.
New Poster

Also when it comes to wireless router cheaper is not always better, people dont like to drop a couple of hundred on a wireless router because it just sits there but when you start adding more and more devices the cheaper ones tend to fail at dividing up the bandwidth, Im surprised that Netgear hasn't fixed the IPv6 issue but D-Link is the same way and Belkin drops connections, I think the reason some installers sell the Netgear router is because they can pick them up fairly cheap at Walmart and double the price to the customer but not all installers are like that but there's always a bad apple in the barrel personally I use a Asus RT-AC68R with Merlin FW so I can track all data usage passing through it by each devices  and logs it by current, daily, weekly, and monthly but again its a couple of hundred bucks

It was an "impulse buy" on my part.  My fault for being a sucker but the installer was there and pointed out the old G54 router as being obsolete. He seemed to be an honest person at the time.  I planned on moving the modem and the router out of the basement and into my office anyway and planned on buying a new router. When he said he had the "best and greatest" on his truck I bit.  My mistake. It's a Netgear WNR1000-2v that I think I could buy for $20 on Ebay. Embarrassed to tell you how much I paid the guy that also took my 9000 modem with him.   

Couple hundred bucks? Like everything, you usually get what you pay for! Thanks for the recommendation. Being able to see "usage" per device would certainly cut down on arguments here. For anybody that cares..."smart phones" seem to seek the "path of least resistance" unless told to stay on the phone's data plan that they pay for.  Was a big problem here until I figured that out. Certain software will insist on pushing downloads whenever they want.  Microsoft is pretty good about obeying the settings and can hit that "bonus" window.  Adobe Acrobat sends whenever they want and can eat up a ton of "prime time" data.  Norton Internet Security is so-so. My new computer (Win 8.1) actually shows a switch for Norton that says "measured service...will use Windows settings" (i.e. use the bonus window).  The old machine (Vista) never offered that option. Other than that, I'm sure the "pointing error" was causing leakage. We are in the second week of Gen4 now (monthly allowance) vs. the old 2 day rolling allowance, we don't seem to be using "spit" even though our computer habits have not changed at all.  Makes me wonder...    
New Poster

I think we have all been there at some point with the impulse buy, Im not sure about upgrades but with new Gen4 installs they refill your data every say for I think the first few days or couple of weeks not real sure which but if you download the latest status meter it has a usages graph of how much data you have used and you can also find it at www.my.hughesnet.com