Upgrade to GEN 5, blah

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caboose
New Poster

Upgrade to GEN 5, blah

I just upgraded to GEN 5, slower than GEN 4. Can I get GEN 4 back? Do I have to create a new account for GEN 5, can't find billing info on current account of GEN 4.  Tech said I had 125 speed, but only have 90.  Had 115 with GEN 4.  Upgraed 1/17/20, do I need to wait?  I am really confused.  Wish I had a choice. But I guess that's what I get for living in deer country, lol.

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Caboose 

Unfortunately, no, there's no going back to Gen4.  I'm not sure what the 125, 90 or 115 is you're referring to, but Gen5 provides speeds of up to 25Mbps download and 3Mbps upload, though speeds somewhat higher than that can sometimes be seen.  You can test your speed by going to testmy.net and using the manual 25MB test for download speed and the manual 3MB test for upload speed.  If you need to test for troubleshooting purposes, like if you feel there is something wrong with your speed, you should follow this speed testing protocol.  If for troubleshooting, make sure to sign up for an account at testmy and run the tests while signed into that account.  This is mentioned in the protocol, but sometimes people miss it.

As for your billing information, you should be able to see it on the My Bill tab after signing into the HughesNet MyAccount website.

I was referring to the signal strength HT1100 HughesNet System Control Center

Satellite Receive Signal Strength94

Tried testmy.net, shows download excess of 35 mbs and upload 2.4 mbs

Now Signal Strength is dropping in high 80's and low 90's.

I got an email from Hughes to create a new acount with the upgrade to Gen 5.  Man I messed up by creating a new account for sure !  My existing voice phone was disconnected.  Called in to Hughes, they told me since creating a new account, they will have to send me another box to activate voice and they indicated they can port my current phone number that I hope they can.  Also, I was told they will cancel my old account since 2005, but I can still access it, I am responding to this in old account. I asked if they could just cancel the new account, tech said no, he would have to cancel old account. So, now I've been without phone most of this week and do not know when I will get the new one. I don't know why they can't just activate my current voice to the new account.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Caboose 

To be honest, I'm not sure why they would have sent a request for your to create a new account.  You should have the same account, no matter when or what you upgraded from and to.  I upgraded from my original service, which I got in Dec 2004, to Gen4 in Feb 2016 and then to Gen5 in 2017, and I've had the same account since the very beginning.  

Because it sounds like they're working on the situation it would probably be best to let them continue doing so, but if the account related issues don't get resolved soon, including with your Voice service, you should definitely say something on here so that the reps here can look into it for you. 

With regard to being able sign into the community using the sign on info that was set up with your old account, I think you may still be able to do so even after they finally do close that account, though I'm not positive about that.

As for your signal strength, it can vary from place to place and service to service.  A signal strength in the 90s may be the norm for Gen5 service in your area, even though it was higher when you had Gen4. A speed of 34Mbps and 2.4Mbps is actually pretty good.  It will likely dip somewhat in the evenings, though, with so many people being online at that time.