Upgrade wifi router

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wmp
New Poster

Upgrade wifi router

My built-in wifi has very short range. Is it possible to use a 3rd party wifi-6 router OR upgrade the current HughesNet modem-router combination?

I live in a log home with a metal roof (so 0 mobile phone signal). Lucky if I can connect my devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro) to wifi from 10 feet away from router when in another adjacent room. 

Tech support person recommended hardwired connection to the modem. Sort od defeats purpose of wifi...!

Thank you for suggestions. 

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

n/c

GabeU

@Wmp 

You can use a 3rd party router with the HT2000W modem.  If you do so, it's best to completely disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem so that it doesn't interfere with the WiFi signals from the router.  To disable it...

Sign into the WiFi settings page of the HT2000W modem here, using admin as the password.  Then, on that main page, uncheck both the SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast boxes for the 2.4GHz band, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for each of the other three, making sure to click Save Settings before moving to the next one (2.4 Guest, then 5, then 5 Guest).  If you do all four, then click Save Settings, the settings won't hold, so you have to do each of the four individually.

After all four have both SSID boxes unchecked, go to Advanced Setup >> Wireless (on the left), then uncheck both the "2.4GHz frequency band" and "5GHz frequency band" boxes, then click Save Settings.  Once this is done, you should see the modem's WiFi light go off, as the WiFi will then be completely disabled.

Regarding the HughesNet WiFi Booster mentioned by maratsade, what this does is basically extend the WiFi signal from the HT2000W modem, but only in one general direction.  You'd place it halfway in between the modem and where the WiFi signal drops out, and it extends the signal in that general direction (the direction of the Booster's placement).  However, with your WiFi signal reaching such a short distance, it would likely be better to go with a good, strong, 3rd party router instead of the Booster.

One last thing to keep in mind is that, while the 5GHz WiFi band has a higher overall speed capacity and it experiences less signal interference, the 2.4GHz band has better range, though which band is "better" in any particular home is up to the home.

Thank you GabeU. I'll give that a shot. Among my concerns is that my speeds are really slow, extending wifi for slow speefs just extends slow speeds.

Really appreciate your input.

Thanks, Bill

GabeU

@Wmp 

Have you checked your speeds with an ethernet connected device?  If not, you likely should before spending the money on a router, as if the service speed itself is slow a router isn't going to give any improvement.