Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakeland4
Junior

Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times

I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 about a month ago due to extremely slow speeds at various times, especially in the evening and during the weekend.  With Gen4 it would quite often buffer when trying to stream, especially during those times, and the length of time each buffering lasted would range from annoying to not ending which required stopping and restarting the stream.  This problem did not change when I switched to Gen5, which is very frustrating to say the least.

To help solve this problem I followed the instructions in: http://hninfo.us/speedtest and ran several speed tests on different days and at various times of the day using testmy.net. Below is some information on the setup for these tests:

PC setup with Windows 10 and Chrome

Disabled the wifi on the HT2000W

Disconnected my router

Connected the PC directly to the HT2000W with an Ethernet cable

Nothing else was running on the PC

Here is the URL with the test results:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/kilroy

Let me know if there is any more information you need to help solve this problem.

Thank you

123 REPLIES 123

Thank you for the complimentary tokens.  More than necessary but much appreciated.

I have completed the streaming tests and emailed the csv files to the engineers.  I hope this information will help in solving the problems with streaming.

I will be more than happy to continue to help you in any way I can.

Awesome! I'll ping them to make sure to check. I'll keep you posted. Thank you so much for your cooperation!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi lakeland4,

Our engineers are going over the data you sent and are reviewing the observations you recorded as well. They're using the data to help improve your service as well as those of others. In the meantime, I've provided you a discount for the next two months; you should see the first discount on your next bill. I'll keep you updated with any other news I can share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I greatly appreciate the discount and it was quite unexpected. 

I do hope that the information I sent to you will help the engineers solve the streaming issues that everyone is experiencing. Is there any other assistance I could provide such as running more tests using TestMy.net and/or evaluating more video streams on a particular platform?  As I stated earlier, I will be more than happy to continue to help you in any way I can and definitely look forward to your updates.

Since we have been focusing on a beneficial long-term solution, what about the near-term?  Two weeks ago just before the request was made to run the tests there was discussion on sending someone out to repoint the dish.  Now that the data has been taken, is that going to move forward? 

Thank you.

Hi lakeland4,

You've very welcome. Just need to sit tight for now while the engineers work with the data you provided. They need to see if their attempts will bring relief before considering making changes to your site. If I have any other directions or news from them, I'll let you know.

-Liz

I will do my best to not bother you for at least a little while...

Good morning lakeland4, 

Thank you so much for your patience while engineering has been working on your case. They want your site on the other satellite so I've dispatched a complimentary tech to handle that for you. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot:  Thursday, Apr 14, 2022 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed.

Engineering would like you to continue using the service as usual while on the other satellite for a month, after which we'd like to sync up with you again on a call. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

Switching to the other satellite and sending out a technician to do it sounds like a good move at this point and I look forward to reconnecting with engineering on a call to help get this issue sorted.

Thank you for all you are doing.

You're very welcome, we appreciate you keeping in touch with us and helping troubleshoot!

-Liz

There is a definite disconnect between the engineering, support and service departments at HughesNet.

The service technician arrived on Friday.  He ran some system tests but did NOT repoint the dish to the other satellite. I explained to him the reason for the visit and he totally dismissed the idea and said that the dish was currently pointed to Jupiter 17 and that the other satellite, Jupiter 19, was extremely slower and he was not going to make any changes.

If the issues I am having with the terribly slow speeds are occurring with the satellite that the service technician, who has direct contact with the customer’s systems in this area and sees a lot of real-life situations, says has much better performance why switch to the other one that could possibly make matters worse?

I have been very patient and, hopefully, helpful for the last 3 ½ months and even agreed to wait at least another month even though I have not yet seen any real improvement in the extremely slow speeds in the evenings and weekends.  And now this happens. 

How am I to decide what to do next when the experts at HughesNet cannot agree on what to do next?

Hi lakeland4,

Thank you for this update, that certainly was unexpected and disappointing to hear. I'm sorry to see this happened, prolonging what we've been trying to do. I've sent up your message and looped in our field services department which oversees dispatches. I'll keep you posted on any updates once I have any to share.

Your continued patience and cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Good morning lakeland4,

Thank you again for letting me know what happened. This prompted a productive internal conversation at the management level. The head of our field services department created a new dispatch and notified your local dealer, as our engineers still need you on the other satellite for observation.

-Liz

I appreciate the second service visit getting scheduled in short order.

The service technician quickly repointed the dish this afternoon.  Shortly afterward basic web browsing and checking of email were working OK but I will record speed tests in the days to come.

For some reason the data tokens were set to zero. Please reset the amount remaining back to yesterday's 36.77GB.

Thank you.

Good morning lakeland4,

Thank you for the update. Very unusual about the tokens, I've given them back to make up for it and have informed the engineers. Please do continue using this thread if there are any notable observations you'd like to record here. If there are any other updates/instructions from engineering, I'll post back, but otherwise we'll sync up with you in a month and arrange another conference call to see how things go on the other satellite.

Thanks,

Liz

I have had a lot going on since my dish was repointed and was not able to pass along any observations until now.  I apologize for that.

Live Streams

Sun. 5/8 – 10:00AM  Streamed a live church service on YouTube. The stream buffered for several seconds every few minutes throughout the entire time, which was a little over an hour.

FYI: Earlier that morning watched a live stream on Vimeo with no problems.

Streaming Videos

We have not had the time to stream many videos, but there were no problems with the ones we watched.

Speed

I have been able to collect only a small sample of speed tests that I have run with Testmy.net, nothing else running on the PC, no other devices, etc. The results show that the evening and weekend download speeds have significantly increased over the speeds we had to deal with before repointing the dish.

We still have had the occasional episode of very slow response but not as frequently.

Other than the one problem with the live stream buffering the overall performance is very much improved.

If you would like any additional information let me know.

Hi lakeland4,

Thank you for these updates, this is completely fine, no need to apologize. I've sent this over to engineering. It's about the time they wanted to sync up with you anyway to see how the service has been, so I'm checking if they still need to get on a call with you. To help us prepare, please let me know your general availability for this follow up call; our offices will be closed for Memorial Day on the 30th, however.

Thanks,

Liz

I am available either Tuesday or Thursday next week.  Like last time, the call needs to be as late in the afternoon as possible.

Thanks lakeland4! I'll keep you posted.

-Liz

Hi lakeland4,

Thank you for your patience. I just got off a call with the engineers and doesn't seem like they're quite ready for a call or if they need one yet. Once they're done evaluating your site they'll let me know and I'll update you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

Testing with very short message.  Ignore.

Hi lakeland4!

This is really good feedback, I know our engineers are going to want to review this. Let me send this over to them and we'll let you know what the next steps will be.

Thanks,

Liz