Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakeland4
Junior

Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times

I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 about a month ago due to extremely slow speeds at various times, especially in the evening and during the weekend.  With Gen4 it would quite often buffer when trying to stream, especially during those times, and the length of time each buffering lasted would range from annoying to not ending which required stopping and restarting the stream.  This problem did not change when I switched to Gen5, which is very frustrating to say the least.

To help solve this problem I followed the instructions in: http://hninfo.us/speedtest and ran several speed tests on different days and at various times of the day using testmy.net. Below is some information on the setup for these tests:

PC setup with Windows 10 and Chrome

Disabled the wifi on the HT2000W

Disconnected my router

Connected the PC directly to the HT2000W with an Ethernet cable

Nothing else was running on the PC

Here is the URL with the test results:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/kilroy

Let me know if there is any more information you need to help solve this problem.

Thank you

123 REPLIES 123

Good morning lakeland4,

Thank you for this feedback, I've sent it over to our engineers. I'm not quite sure what happened with the dispatch, but I think that error is on me, I apologize. I've created a dispatch for our earliest slot which is this Friday, 3/03/2023 between 08:00AM - 11:00AM, you can reschedule online if needed. 

I'm also sending you some token data for this inconvenience and continued cooperation while our engineers continue to work on improving performance in your area. 

Thank you,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you for the data token.  It is very much appreciated. 

The technician ended up arriving late yesterday.  I will provide more information on the visit shortly.  I want to first post the additional information I have on Prime Video streaming performance with VDS OFF.

2/27/2023 – 7:30pm – 1 hour show. 20+ seconds initial load time, then the video became very pixelated for approx. 8 minutes.  Afterwards the video pixelated slightly twice, approx. 3 minutes each time, during the rest of the show.

Good morning lakeland4,

Thank you for this additional info, I've sent it to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news for you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Here is a summary of the technician’s visit:

There were other service calls in this area that canceled which allowed the technician to rearrange his schedule and arrive late in the day on 2/28/2023 instead of 3/3/2023. After re-aligning the dish the technician stated the difference in the position of the dish before and after was negligible. What would cause the bad alignment diagnosis if there was no problem with the alignment?

Regarding the overall system performance, we have not noticed any difference with email, web browsing, etc. after the technician’s visit.  Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Thanks for the update, lakeland4! When I ran diagnostics, on your site, I didn't get a bad alignment diagnostic, but engineering insisted on having your dish checked and repeaked for optimal performance anyway. For now, we just wait on engineering's testing to improve streaming, however once I do have any other requests from them I will let you know. Have a great weekend!

-Liz

Hi lakeland4,

Just got off a call with engineering. They have not rolled out the updates to your area yet, but it is prioritized. For now we wait until I get confirmation of the roll out before monitoring your site for performance improvements.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Thank you for the update.

Hi lakeland4,

Thank you so much for your ongoing patience while our engineers work to address your concerns. The update was rolled out to your area so please monitor your video performance with VDS ON and let us know how it goes!

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

That’s great news!  I will keep you informed on the Amazon Prime Video performance with VDS ON.

I have not yet had a chance to stream an Amazon Prime video but did attempt to watch a live stream on YouTube.  Thought you might be interested in the result:

3/26/2023 – 10:45 am – VDS ON. Attempted to watch the live stream of a church service on YouTube.  It took about 5 seconds to load and from the start the video would buffer for 1-3 seconds every 2-10 seconds.  After roughly 4 minutes turned VDS OFF and restarted the live stream.  There was no change - the video would buffer for 1-3 seconds every 2-10 seconds.  Gave up watching after a few minutes.

The last time I watched anything on YouTube was last May.  It was roughly 2 weeks after the initial repointing of my dish which greatly improved the overall system performance.  Below is what I posted on 5/25/2022:

Sun. 5/8 – 10:00AM  Streamed a live church service on YouTube. The stream buffered for several seconds every few minutes throughout the entire time, which was a little over an hour.

Let me know if you would like any more information.

Good morning lakeland4,

Thank you for this update, I've sent this over to our engineers.

-Liz

Below is the result from streaming Prime Video:

3/27/2023 – 8:00pm – VDS ON – 50 minute show on Prime Video.  50+ seconds initial load time, then the screen was slightly pixelated for about 5 minutes.  The video buffered 3 times during the length of the show – 20, 30 and 35 minutes from the start - each time for 10-15 seconds.  Otherwise there were no issues.

I will continue to watch Amazon Prime videos and keep you posted.

Hi lakeland4, 

This is a great detailed description, thank you for this update, I'll be sure to let our engineers know. If I have any updates or other instructions for you, I'll post back.

Thank you!

-Liz

Here is another review on streaming Prime Video:

4/7/2023 – 8:00pm – VDS ON – 50 minute show on Prime Video.  40+ seconds initial load time, then the screen was very pixelated for around 2 minutes.  Otherwise there were no issues.

There is a noticeable improvement over the streaming performance prior to this latest update.  The pixilation and buffering occurring in these last 2 videos were definitely annoying but not bad enough to make me stop watching, given that I have grown accustomed to much worse picture quality in the past. This is certainly a big step in the right direction!

Good morning lakeland4,

That's excellent news. Our engineers are still trying some other adjustments, and when those are ready to be rolled out, I'll let you know!

-Liz

Hi lakeland4,

How's your service been? An engineer confirmed to me that updates were rolled out to your area. Please let me know how performances has been.

Thanks,

Liz

I have been away from the house a lot since my last post.  The only relevant information I have to pass along is what has occurred this past week.

Streaming Video

6/15/2023 – 8:30pm – VDS ON – 50 minute show on Prime Video.  45+ seconds initial load time.  There were no other issues.

6/16/2023 – 8:00pm – VDS ON – 50 minute show on Prime Video.  30+ seconds initial load time.  There were no other issues.

In both of these videos the screen never pixelated and there was no buffering!  I have no problem with the 30-45 second initial load time as long as there is no buffering during the video, but I do not know what others may think.

Live Stream

6/18/2023 – 10:45am – VDS ON – 45 minute church service on YouTube.  5+ second initial load time.  There were no other issues.

I last tried to watch a live stream on YouTube back in March.  It buffered every few seconds and I gave up after a few minutes.  This time there was no buffering at all!

Please pass along my thanks to everyone for a job well done in making video streaming on Amazon Prime Video and live streaming on YouTube work with no problems!  I realized after the first video that I was able to enjoy watching the show instead of wondering if it will buffer and, when it did, waiting for the buffering to end!

I plan to continue providing periodic updates on the overall system performance.

Wooo! That sounds great! I'll pass this to our engineers. Thank you again for your generous patience and willingness to work with us, your feedback really helped.

-Liz

It has been 6 months since my last post and I finally have an update to pass along.  Over the last 10 days I streamed several videos on Prime and live streams on YouTube with NO issues to report! The picture quality was always good and no buffering.  I just sat back and enjoyed the shows.   

Thanks again to everyone at HughesNet for making this happen!