cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading equipment when we went to Gen4

Upgrading equipment when we went to Gen4

I have been having issues with slow or none at all connections...and as I was reading, there was a statement made that when you upgraded to Gen4, you would get new equipment, dish, modem etc....I upgraded almost a year ago and am still using the same old dish and modem that I originally received before the upgrade?  Could this be the problem with the slowness??  And if I was to get new equipment, why didn't I? And finally, why have I been paying for this upgrade when I am running slower then I did before I upgraded??  Your internet has progressively gotten worse, and by worse I mean slower and slower...almost to the point of connection like it was with Prodigy Dial Up back in the 90's....

What needs to be done to get this internet up and running like it is supposed to??
Also, I would take time to call in, but after several attempts to no avail, you give up.  I did however get through a couple of days ago, and like usual, was told the same old story.  I will just start calling in every time we are running slow or can not get connected...(white page comes up with the mouse just spinning and spinning) and then maybe you will get this running at the speed that I am paying for.  What kind of refunds do you issue for the overpayment, as I look at it, for paying for something I do not have?
Please advise...

ps...for the record I have been with your company since 2009, which should show some type of customer loyalty to your company, but I am seriously thinking of switching providers, as this internet connection is costing me money when I can not get on to do what I need to do for work...then how am I to pay your bill without a job????

Very Frustrated.....

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Upgrading equipment when we went to Gen4

The first question is .... what modem do you have ?
If you have a HN9000, then your "upgrade" was a marketing gimick that really was a plan upgrade to the Gen4 wannabe up to 5Mbps plan

If you have a HT1000/1100 modem then you are on the real Gen4 system but plan offerings range from a very limited 5Mbps to a plan with a up to of 15Mbps.

Hi,

I just switched form Hughes to Hughes.  Well, the plan is almost the same, $350 less, supposedly per year, with billing through FRONTIER, with whom I have my phone. 

I say all that to say this.  I, too, was running consistently SLOW and slower all the time gradually over the past 6-8 months particularly. I HAD HT1000.   Now, for a week, I have new dish, and a new radio, and a new HT1100. It runs about 15 times faster or better.  .4 to ,8MB now often (not always) 15MB.  

My ground mount dish had a defect I am surprised I did not catch.  It just wasn't easily visible and the dish is in a location that i don't need to go near often, other than to melt ice off maybe 10 times in 24 months  ; I and the installer think it was like that when installed originally.  It had a crush on the top, which probably cost 3-4% of signal. 

Here is the kicker. I figured it could not hurt to have new radio. The installer told me that the main problem they see on service calls is BAD or POOR radios, often due to water entry past the seals. Now, mine LOOKED poor - significant deterioration on the outside.  Flaking of the finish and generally looked the worse for 2 years outside. .   The new one has much different appearance, with a cup that is supposed to be an additional seal. I live in harsh climate with lots of freeze-thaw cycles and rain on Idaho / Canada border. 

things are indeed better for me.  Better speed seems consistent pretty much for several days now.  

Cheers,

-Larry in No. Idaho 

well at least your tech and his distributor didn't refuse to put on a new radio transmitter that had been confirmed by several hughesnet reps as well as the distributor themselves to be bad, then cancel out 3 different work orders and noted not to accept anymore work orders for my site. and all my stuff was used on the original install 2 years ago .so if  you got new equipment anytime your doing good.
Honorary Alumnus

A post on this forum would have rectified that issue.

I just got here yesterday to the forums.Smiley Happy even rite now my signal is in the 90's on sqf. normally there around 125-145
Honorary Alumnus

Unlike a cell phone connection, speed is not a function of signal strength. (Assuming it is above cut-off)
Are you on a HN9000 modem ?

HT1000 , the signal has always been sporadic from day1 but worse the past month. yea signal drops completely out sometimes I get %10 packet loss but 5mins ago I got a %90 packet loss then back to %0 loss. I have done everything possible on this end already that I know to do. it don't help any that there is probly about 450 foot of coax cable from the dish to the modem but still had the problem before he added to it. no joke the cable is from outside of house at the dish  to other end of house on outside then doubles back and splits into the house another few feet to the modem.
Honorary Alumnus

Perhaps Alan will see this post and comment but if memory serves the max run for the coax is 125 feet with no "splices" other than the ground block.
When the install was done did you observe ?
Was dielectric grease applied to the outdoor connectors ?
Were the outdoor connectors then protected by weatherseal tape ?

yes actually me and 1 other was observing as well as asking questions, it had no grounding whatsoever for 2 years so tech came out and that's when he added all the coax cable , I don't recall seeing him use any grease but they do have the weather boots I think is what there called. but also have 2 of the splitters in the line, I  was expecting him to just replace the current run of coax which was what I thought he was instructed to do in the 1st place as well as put on a new radio transmitter but that did not happen either.i have a lot of pictures of what he did and did not do.