cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Uplink Error, Transmit Problems, Help/Advice Needed

Good Morning,

For several weeks now I've been experiencing problems with very slow webpage loading, and overall sluggish behavior.

I get  this 'error' that will show up in my System Control 12.1.9 A transmit problem has occured

Upon further investigation, looking at the diagnostic history, it appears to have something to do with the 'uplink'

Rebooting the modem, for a very short time, will help, but the error will come back and my service will go back to being very slow/sluggish, pages take forever to load, and overall very poor performance.  I will have red X under going across the 'uplink' section of the row.

I looked around the community and noticed that @BirdDog was recently experience the same thing.

Not sure if my problem is the same, and if he was able to resolve his issues or not, but any help or advice on how to correct this continuing problem would be greatly appreciated.

I took a screen shot of my diagnostics panel this morning below..

I know that @Liz is generally out on weekends, so I decided to wait until this morning to seek advice. This issue has been going on for several weeks now. I was hoping it would clear up on it's own..but no luck so far. If anything it seems to be getting worse/more frequent.

hnss1.pnghnss2.png

Many thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi bare65,

This uplink state code (12.1.9) is a little different than some other ones in the community. The code you are getting generally points to a power problem, whether low or inconsistent. 

The main troubleshooting step for this, as Mark states, is to ensure the power to the modem is good. Try plugging it into an outlet that does not share power with appliances and is not plugged into a surge protector/power strip. If the errors persist after that, I will have to dig a little deeper.

~Amanda

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
bare65
Advanced Tutor

Here is another screen shot from the diagnostic panel taken just a few minutes ago...

hnss3.png

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Liz

here is another screen shot..(hourly & 24 hour view)

I'm not sure if rebooting my modem erases all of the diagnostic history on just my end, or all across the board, so I'm hesitant at rebooting my modem again until I've heard back from you as to what I should do.

hnss4.pnghnss5.png

Many things can cause these errors, to include dish alignment and poor cabling, which would require a skilled technician to remedy. However, it's also possible that a quick inspection of the dish can show where the problem is.

Tree limbs around the dish that appear to be out of the way may actually be reflecting stray signals back onto the dish. These then cause standing waves that the modem interprets as transmission errors.

Generally, the dish should be clear of any foliage within 45 degrees in any direction. Pay particular attention to any branches that may be blowing into that area, which could possibly cause intermittent problems.

In the fall and winter you might also want to inspect the dish to see if there are any fallen leaves or ice stuck to it. These will reduce the reflective nature of the dish, possibly causing additional transmission (and reception) errors.

As well, cables and connections may become brittle or loose with frequent weather changes. So you may also want to see if the connectors are finger-tight and the cabling isn't cracked or weathered to the point where coax shield wire is showing through.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to reply..

These are the first things I checked out before hitting up the community for help...

The cable/wiring was all replaced when we upgraded to Gen 5 (we had Gen 4 / HN9000 before) a few month ago and I've personally examined the dish from outside which is mounted high up on the side of our house.

Visual Inspection of all of the cabling and connectors, both inside and out, looks good.

We have no trees or any other shrubary anywhere close to and/or surrounding our house that would interfere with the signal and/or come in contact with the dish itself and no other building that would otherwise interfere.

No bad weather (wind, rain etc) on our end either...

The last 2 hours, the 'error' has resolved itself (again)..without having to reboot the modem, but it is increasingly frustrating regardless of whether I end up rebooting or not as it is happening more and more.

I'll go ahead and reboot my modem but hopefully someone on the Hughesnet end can run further diagnostics to see what all is going on.

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Something is definetly not right...

I rebooted my modem about 10 minutes ago (approx. 1:15pm PST) and just within the last few minutes, the error code (12.1.9) has come back, and webpages are back to loading very slowly/sluggish.

Here is a screen shot from just a few minutes ago..

hnss6.png

Is there someone available who can look into this, or run further diagnostics for me?

Certainly seems as if something might be intermittent. Hopefully @Amanda or @Liz can remotely diagnose whether you need a tech to have a look at it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

It's the weirdest thing..but I certainly appreciate your help thus far @MarkJFine

Shortly after my last reply and reboot, I went ahead and rebooted for a 3rd time, and so far, now going on 6 hours, there has been NO uplink error code popping up. This time, instead of rebooting from the system control center, I went ahead and completely unplugged the modem for several minutes.

I'm doubtful that the problem has actually been resolved 'in the long run' as this 'on again, off again' behavior has become the norm these past few weeks.

It will appear fixed for several hours (and sometimes, if I'm lucky, a few days) at a time, only to then start throwing out this uplink error code again...which puts me right back to square one.

Just a thought, and I'm not sure where you're located, but did this problem start when it got cold out?

If it's not an alignment issue, just wondering if it's a voltage variation issue triggered by a heater going on.

Some of the systems have been sensitive to power variations.

As such they recommend the modem to be directly plugged into the wall, and not via power strip or surge protector.

Amanda

Hi bare65,

This uplink state code (12.1.9) is a little different than some other ones in the community. The code you are getting generally points to a power problem, whether low or inconsistent. 

The main troubleshooting step for this, as Mark states, is to ensure the power to the modem is good. Try plugging it into an outlet that does not share power with appliances and is not plugged into a surge protector/power strip. If the errors persist after that, I will have to dig a little deeper.

~Amanda

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Amanda@MarkJFine

I 'think' the problem may very well of been the HT2000W power cord itself.

When I did the 3rd reboot yesterday, like I mentioned earlier, instead of simply rebooting from the control panel, this time I physically pulled the power cord/connector out from the back of the modem, waited a few minutes, and then pushed it back into the modem snuggly.

Since then, I have had no error codes...

I'm thinking that perhaps the connector may of loosened up just enough to cause some interference, but not enough to disconnect the power completely to the modem.

hn.png

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

The advice and tips that you all provide within this community are invaluable and I very much appreciate your help.

Yeah, DIN power cords are not really designed for repeated plugging and unplugging and will loosen with time.

Most people unplug from the wall, but I prefer removing the power cord from the one side of the power brick.

Can be made more easily accessible that the back of the modem or wall if situated appropriately.
You also don't endanger the DIN plug (and the modem, yourself, and your house) by accidentally bending/shorting a pin.

Yesterday was actually the first time I had pulled the cord from the back of the modem.

When I reboot the modem, I usually just do it directly from the system control panel. (the lazy fix)

It's funny though because now that I think about it, several weeks ago I had pulled out my computer desk so that we could install a 'Joey' (Dish Network) receiver to a TV that is sitted up on top of the computer desk hutch, and I THINK that in the process of pulling out the desk, we may of inadvertently, and ever so slightly, tugged on the DIN cord which caused the uplink issues...

Being that, for all purposes, our internet service / modem was 'working' (powering up etc) it simply didn't occur to me that the power cord going to the modem could be the problem.

I'm certainly glad I asked for help..otherwise I may still be sitting here trying to figure this up...

another bonus... I've added this to the faq I've been building for transmit errors.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just saying...  Don't remove power at the modem like that, if a short occurs you could damage the modem, power adapter and even the radio.  If damage from that occurs, you will most likely be responsible for the cost of damages.

@C0RR0SIVE

When I manually reboot my modem I always unplugged the entire unit from the wall first (plug end)

I don't have a need to 'manually' reboot/unplug my modem very often ..like I said, most times I simply reboot from the system control center if I'm experiencing any kind of issue.

Yesterday was just the first time that I actually unplugged the modem from the wall AND disconnected the other end as well (the end that inserts directly into the modem).

I didn't mean to suggest that I simply pulled the cable out from the modem before unplugging the unit first...sorry for the confusion.

I know how easy equipment like this can short out if not disconnected in a certain way

I do think this is good advise though for anyone who may be reading this that may otherwise not know how to disconnect their HughesNet equipment/modem. Smiley Happy

p.s so far so good...no more errors, green check marks since yesterday.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ahh, alright.  Was worried for a bit as there is a 48v pin on the DIN connection, and if that happens to somehow short to any other pins, it could fry a lot of equipment very fast.

I've been experiencing the same intemittent errors and also noticed the dodgy power cord connection to the modem. I was moving the modem and all the lights went out, so I wiggled the power connector and the lights came back on - it got more reliable after that...........

More on the "power cord wiggling". I'd been having transmit errors for 10 days, customer support suggested re-booting the modem to clear the error, which got tedious every 15 - 30 mins. On the next call the next level of support suggested I unplug the ethernet cable and reverse it - still didn't fix the problem.
Then I accidently wiggled the power cord and noticed the lights blanking out then coming back on. I made sure the power cord was firmly pushed in and have had 3 wonderful error free days !!!! Maybe this should be something customer support should have in their script...........

Someone actually suggested unplugging the ethernet cable and reversing it?

It's keyed to work only one way!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

Someone actually suggested unplugging the ethernet cable and reversing it?

It's keyed to work only one way!

I've seen some crazy advice before, but....SMH.