Upload and download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bettsangel
New Poster

Upload and download speeds

Why am I not getting the 25 and 3 gigs as advertised? Mine is 403 and 12mb? Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

Source: https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

This service sucks! I'm canceling my service soon! We do a lot of streaming ! I have never had a service slow me down after using to much data. And not only that but I even upgraded my data amount and in a week it's all gone! You guys have terrible service and for the cost it's not worth it!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bettsangel wrote:
This service sucks! I'm canceling my service soon! We do a lot of streaming ! I have never had a service slow me down after using to much data. And not only that but I even upgraded my data amount and in a week it's all gone! You guys have terrible service and for the cost it's not worth it!

HughesNet is not designed for, nor meant for, cord cutting.  Streaming, especially in HD, uses a LOT of data.  Up to 3GB or more per hour.  

Keep in mind that the contract is for 24 months, meaning that, if you cancel at this point, you will be subject to an Early Termination Fee.  Currently, for residential accounts, it's $400 for the first 90 days after activation, then $15 less per month thereafter.  

"You guys have terrible service and for the cost it's not worth it!" - Many people would beg to differ, including myself, after nearly 14 years of having HughesNet.  Then again, I don't expect it to be something it's not.  

Why, in this day and age, people still purchase a product or service without researching it is beyond me.  

Hi Bettsangel, we can't control what you use for your data, but we can provide helpful links that you can take a look at to better manage your data usage. Bear in mind, streaming tends to use up data the most frequently. 

Check out those links here and here.

Let me know if you have questions

-Brooke

I haven't heard back from you, Bettsangel, I hope we were able to provide assistance. I'm going to close this thread, but if you need anything, don't hesitate to start a new thread!

Thank you.

-Brooke