Hughesnet Community

Upload speeds typically < 0.5 MBs, Download speeds vary but internet frequently unusable for work

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeremywolg

Upload speeds typically < 0.5 MBs, Download speeds vary but internet frequently unusable for work

Hey, I'm trying to use this connection to work remotely. Mostly uploading and downloading excel files and PDF's, with occasional video conferencing. I don't have a problem buying more data tokens when needed, but not willing to upgrade until I see clear proof that this system will meet my needs. My work laptop automatically connects to our company network via a VPN, and I can generally navigate folders/files and webex calling has worked (sometimes), but frequenly the information others are sharing lags very very badly, which can be awkward when trying to make a presentation to an executive. My other major complaint is that sometimes when I'm trying to down load or upload files between my hardrive and my company network drive via windows explorer, I frequently get an error saying the file could not be downloaded (or uploaded), not just that it takes a long time, but it actually just gives up and says no, can't download this. 

I did the speed tests reccomended and the results are odd. Download speed appears to be ok some of the time (even when I'm having problems with connectivity/moving files), but the upload speed is pretty much always terrible at less than 0.5 Mbs. 

below are the testmy account link, I also ran a test from the Hugesnet controlcenter, all tests were run from my personal computer rather than my work laptop, with wifi off and personal computer connected to modem via ethernet cable:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/jeremywolg

10 REPLIES 10
Remy

jeremywolg,

I see it's your first time posting! Welcome to the Community! I was able to pull up your account through your Community profile, and I can confirm the low speeds on our end as well. I do see the modem hasn't been power cycled in over 3 months, so I would recommend unplugging the modem from the power brick, waiting a few moments, and plugging it back in. This will help, but may not fully resolve the issue. Please let me know when you've done this! In addition, VPNs will generally have problems with satellite internet services due to the high latency of the service.

Thanks,

Remy

I unplugged my modem but do not know how to get the VPN off

Dee060951,

Are you speaking about your own account, or do you share an account with Jeremywolg? The account for Jeremywolg still states that there hasn't been a power cycle of the modem, and I was unable to find an account tied to your community profile. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Remy

Remy,

I apologize I am so new at this.  I am not connected jeremywolg.  I do have my own account and my concern was with my own account and my data usage  I am sorry for the confusion.  I hope you can make out what I was trying to say.  I have researched some of Hughes different third-party links to change my settings like with Netflix so they are not so HD.  I'm trying to learn how to get the most out of my data.  My Husband watches mostly TV but I am the one who watches movies.  So if you have any suggestions that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Dee

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Dee060951 

It would be best for you to start a new topic for your issue in this same Tech Support section.  You can do so here.  This will lessen confusion and ensure that the help given is for the person who created the topic.

maratsade

Dee, you will need to start your own thread. Go to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport, click the blue button labeled Start a topic, and explain your situation.  You will likely not get help if you stay in Jeremy's thread. 

I also gave you some suggestions for what you could do to save data. You may want to think about them, as there's no magic button. It all comes to management of the data you have, or supplementing it with tokens. 

@Dee060951 wrote:

Remy,

I apologize I am so new at this.  I am not connected jeremywolg.  I do have my own account and my concern was with my own account and my data usage  I am sorry for the confusion.  I hope you can make out what I was trying to say.  I have researched some of Hughes different third-party links to change my settings like with Netflix so they are not so HD.  I'm trying to learn how to get the most out of my data.  My Husband watches mostly TV but I am the one who watches movies.  So if you have any suggestions that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Dee

GabeU

NT

I did what was asked but do not know how to stop the VPN  This is all so new to me.  I run out of data since I watch a lot of movies since my former husband passed away and do not understand this data.  I turned all my movie subscriptions to non HD stoped my cell phone from mobile data I don't know what to do.  I'm retired and on a limited budget and been trying to watch most of my movies between 2 & 8 am.  I need help managing this.  My current husband & I have between us two computers & two TV and two cell phones.  I seem to be the one using most data.  Is there anyone who can help me do better my husband is so upset with me

maratsade

Streaming is a data intensive activity and it eats a lot of data even in low definition. You can buy a bigger data package, but the biggest package is 50GB, so it won't last much longer if you watch many movies.  You can also buy tokens to increase your available data, though this can get expensive, depending on how many movies you watch. 

A cheaper way to watch movies is to have a satellite TV account like DirecTV or Dish. That doesn't use your internet data at all. 

EDIT: What VPN do you use? Check their website for instructions on how to turn it off. 

Remy

jeremywolg,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Remy