Usage History Completely Wrong

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjrody
New Poster

Usage History Completely Wrong

My month just reset today (22 Oct).  It is 9am my time, so I have been active in my regular data for 1 hour.  My usage meter shows that I have used 24GB of data so far.  Aside from the fact that at the speeds provided, that is impossible, something funny is going on.  The UsageHistory portion of the meter shows "Whoops! No usage data is available."  The CS rep on the phone is completely unhelpful.  He has no idea what happened, but it must have been on my end.

I'm not sure what I am expecting from the forum.  I am just frustrated and I need to vent, I guess.

Any ideas what could be going on?

10 REPLIES 10
Liz

Good morning bjrody,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Wow that's a lot of data to go through! We can't see what exactly used all that data (GlassWire is a great 3rd party tool to use moving forward), but we can at least help narrow it down a bit.

OK, maybe it didn't narrow it down, considering all your data went through your TP-LINK router. However, perhaps your TP-LINK has its own data usage tracker so you can see which devices that connected to it used the most data.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

My TP-Link router does keep stats, but not a useable log.  Meaning, I can't see data usage by date or by hour.  I can see what is using data right now and what has used data since I last reset the counters.  Therefore, it isn't very helpful.

I have a bit more info.

My month reset at midnight and my usage meter shows that I had used 24GB of my service plan data at 9am, but only 544MB of my bonus zone data.

I have two Internet connections, the second being a 1.5Mb/sec (on a really good day) DSL connection.  I put all of the leach devices on that connection.  Anything that is difficult to control their data usage and that I don't care if their updates are slow.

That makes it easier to monitor my usage.  I know that only 2 devices were connected to this connection overnight and now.  Both were idle and neither received a large update.

I do tend to go through all of my data in a month.  Being in FAP is still faster than my DSL connection. However, going through 24GB by 9am on my first day of the month is not normal and I would say its not even possible.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Wanted to say it is possible to use that much in about in about 1 hour 16 minutes if you're getting 40Mbps speed as some do on Gen5. Not taking any side, only saying it is possible.

Used this tool: http://www.calctool.org/CALC/prof/computing/transfer_time

data use.PNG

So whatever was using my data managed to fit it all in while I was on my regular data, but not my bonus time and managed to get the full 40Mbps the whole time.  That solves it.Smiley Happy  Obviously, I am being facetious.  I haven't seen 40Mbps since last year sometime, even overnight.  The number of things that would need to align for this to be my actual usage is quite a stretch.

I don't see how I could have used this much data in such a short period of time.  The usage meter is now showing an Internal Server Error on the Usage History tab.  My concern is that I have lost all confidence in the ability of HughesNet to accurately account for my data usage.

Regarding data usage, all we do is show how much data you have left, we cannot tell what exactly used your data. As I mentioned in my initial reply, moving forward, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC/network that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz

Second tier support was supposed to call me back yesterday, but no one did.  Do you have any insight into that?

Thanks.

Hi bjrody,

I pulled up your previous case and see that it was notated for a callback. I've sent this over to the call center manager for an update on this.

Second tier support called me this afternoon.  He didn't have any definitive answers, but acknowledged that it is highly unlikely that I would have used all of that data.  He took particular note of the fact that the Usage History graph in the app was completely out of whack.  It only gave errors why I tried to look at it yesterday, but today shows that I started the month with 5.2 GB of my quota left.  It didn't show a drop from 30 to 5GB as it should have if it was working correctly and I had used that data.

Basically, there is nothing left to do to troubleshoot it.  He agreed to reset my quota.  This hasn't happened yet.  He recommended just using your router to make troubleshooting easier, but understood when I explained why I cannot.  I use a dual-WAN router for fail-over and a mesh WiFi system because of the way my house is built.  I was a Sys Admin / Network Admin for over a dozen years.  It was good to talk to someone that understood what I was saying.  The first tier support rep was unable to think of anything beyond his scripts and was completely unhelpful.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bjrody

Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to your TP-LINK router?   A gaming console?  

@GabeU

No, I have completed disconnected my satelliite receiver from the Internet and the gaming console is connected to my DSL connection.