Usage History Whoops

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Usage History Whoops

FYI - Getting a Whoops screen when choosing Usage History and no Data Saver option in the Usage Meter.

Database hiccup?

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.05.14 AM.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
7 REPLIES 7
Liz

Uh oh, this just happened around 10 am, Mark? I'm checking now and it looks like the Usage History and VDS are working normally again via the Support Center. Please let me know if it's different in your desktop Usage Meter.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Was since around 6am... but here's some interesting things:
1. Had been deleting the cache data and restarting the application: Still came up missing.

2. Just tried rebooting the modem, deleting the cache and restarting the application: Still came up missing.

3. For giggles, I just rebooted my Mac, and both are now back.

So, it was me all along. lol

Wish I knew why though, because it can't be a DNS issue. Didn't think those things worked like that. I'll have to look and see if there is data stashed away somewhere else than the usual place.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Interesting... thanks Mark!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

So I may have stumbled onto something regarding the missing history and video saver: I was updating my wife's Mac and noticed they were missing on her Meter but not on mine.

I noticed her DNS was pointing to Cloudflare and things were working kind of slow. I was testing things with Cloudflare's DNS quite a long time ago. I probably forgot to put it back. Once I changed back to the default DNS (modem) and restarted the connection (without rebooting) both the history and video saver magically reappeared.

So strangely enough, this is most certainly yet another DNS-related issue. I guess if the entry is bad at startup the Meter can't get that data/settings from HN's server, but can get limited immediate usage info from the modem itself.

Most likely the problem was stemming from her machine all along in my case, also illustrating how bad DNS entries can easily propagate across a network.

Aha, that's a great finding Mark! Thanks for sharing. We literally had a meeting about the Usage Meter not too long ago, so let me send this over to our devs so they have this to chew on as well. Thank you!

As an afterthought it also illustrates my reluctance to use third party DNSs and how easily corrupted they can become.

They might be somewhat faster than HughesNet's, but are far easier to corrupt because they're more widely used and not nearly as secure.

Definitely something to weigh when considering using other DNS servers, it seems, I appreciate you posting about this.