cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vampy
Freshman

Usage meter javascript error

A javascript error occured in the main process.  Uncaught exception:

Error: Error parsing your configuration file:  [C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\status-meter.config]: Unexpected Token

I tried uninstalling and reininstalling and got the same thing.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks in advance for any help.

HughesError01.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Vampy,

Try uninstalling the status meter and usage meter from your system, then navigate to C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\, and delete anything that desides in that folder.  Also navigate to c:\program files\hughesnet-usage-meter and delete anything that may reside in that folder.  Then download and install the latest version (Should be 6.6) and see what happens.

I'm having the same issue on a Mac. I've deleted and reinstalled the program to no avail. What next? Thanks.

What about the file in particular that is mentioned in the error?  I am suspecting that uninstalling isn't removing that file for some reason, and that's why a reinstall isn't working.

Same problem for me on a MAC.   

Hi - please reference my reply in this thread 

Thank you

Amanda

I uninstalled again, went to C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\ and deleted that folder but there was no other folder in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files 86x.  I am running Windows 7 64 bit.  I reinstalled but still got the same error.  I had the latest version of the Hughesnet Meter installed.

I was thinking of uninstalling java but it's not in add/remove programs and after doing a little research someone suggested typing this %SystemRoot%\system32\javacpl.cpl into start but when I do I get this:

JavaError01.png

So now I have to try to uninstall java if I can and reinstall it.  This has become a real chore.  I see this is not so easy to do and I might have to use cmd prompt which I have never been real comfortable doing.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Java and JavaScript are two different things... A computer program can run JavaScript with out Java being installed...

@Liz You may need to look into this...  There are also a few people in a private setting that are experiencing this... @Amanda may know more since she seems to frequent that group of people...

I think I fixed it.  My Java was not showing anywhere on my PC including in Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.  I downloaded the java uninstaller file named JavaUninstallTool.  I ran it but it couldn't find the file to be deleted.  That worried me.  I downloaded the latest version of the Java installer named jre-8u121-windows-x64.  When I ran the file it saw I had Java installed (now I was really worried) but it gave me an option to install and repair so I tried that.

Before I installed this new Java I had uninstalled The Hughesnet Meter and that folder.  After I ran the Java installer and repaired I again ran the Hughesnet installer again with fingers crossed.  It installed this time with no errors and is running in my system tray.  When I mouse over it, it now shows my allowance.  I'm not sure if this will help the others here with problems but it's worth a shot.  Thanks everyone who tried to help and answered so quickly.

Hughes02.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

JRE (Java Runtime Environment) shouldn't (more like isn't...) a requirement for running the status meter... Have no idea how nor why that would fix the problem...

I have no idea either because I don't know programming but this website: What is Java and can I do without it?

Says:  To summarize: if you don't update JAVA and don't update your apps, then you might be O.K. for your system not dying (of course, you might be leaving yourself open for a vulnerability or two). If you get new software, it might come with a version-specific JAVA requirement so watch out for that. As for uninstalling it altogether, that could be problematic for various applications but you should find that out pretty quickly ("Oh, the backup software can't load...."). In that case, you can always reinstall. If you look at your task manager (Windows) at the processes and you see JAVA.EXE using the processor, that could be a sign you need JAVA. JAVASCRIPT is a scripting language based on JAVA that usually runs websites. Many suggest disabling scripting in your browser as a security means, but, if one of the websites you frequent requires that, you would need to turn it on again. You system may not become crippled for any of this but some of your applications might if JAVA is removed. Also, if you have trouble uninstalling JAVA, it could mean that one of your startup applications uses JAVA. Again, its an "application thing". If anyone sees something I said incorrectly, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Senior Instructor

Re: Usage meter javascript error

Vampy,

Try uninstalling the status meter and usage meter from your system, then navigate to C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\, and delete anything that desides in that folder.  Also navigate to c:\program files\hughesnet-usage-meter and delete anything that may reside in that folder.  Then download and install the latest version (Should be 6.6) and see what happens.

I have been referred to this entry as the proper fix for the Java Script error on usage meter.  Sounds good to me but I need a map for the  journey to get there.  Could you tell me step by step how to safely navigate to those places where I need to go?   Sure would appreciate your directions.

@jimmie_evlyn

I left you a response with instructions in the other thread:
https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Why-is-Gen5-using-way-more-data-that-Gen4-ever-did/t...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks Mark.  I read your entry kin the other thread.  My problem is still that I do mot know where to look for the directory you have told me to look for.   

Whoops, then it's probably best you don't mess with it then.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you.  My sentiments exactly.   I need very specific, step by step instructions.

Yeah, maybe someone can make it more specific than the absolute file path that I provided. I just don't know how to do that.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yeah, maybe someone can make it more specific than the absolute file path that I provided. I just don't know how to do that.

I actually PMed him about how to get there and how to unhide the AppData folder.  I figured it was better to do it there, rather than here, due to the possibility of those not used to files and such causing more harm than good by accidentally deleting something they shouldn't.  It is, perhaps, an unfounded fear, though.  

I think not so unfounded.  I have done some of this kind of thing and it scares the bejesus out of me.  I really appreciate the great instructions you guys have provided.  I may try to fix and I may try to find a usage meter somewhefre else.  Anyone know of another one that would take the place of  of the hughesnet meter.  I wish Hughesnet would fix the problem with theirs.

GabeU

jimmie_evlyn,

Unfortunately, no, there are no other usage meters that can be used with HughesNet.  There is, however, the HughesNet Mobile App, which is available for both Apple devices and Android devices.  If you search for HughesNet Mobile App on Google, you should see them listed in the results.  

With that said, there are also a couple of other places to see your data.  You can click on My Usage at the top right of this community to see what percentage of your data you have remaining.  You can also sign in to the HughesNet myAccount site and click on the Usage tab.  The latter gives you the ability to see your actual data amounts and usage history, and the ability to purchase tokens.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Like Gabe says, best to go here, may need to sign in. Gives use down to the MB, more accurate than the tray meter. http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount?_mpsource=Header&_udreq=1&tab=Usage