Usage meter not working on Win10 64bit machine

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Usage meter not working on Win10 64bit machine

I gave up on a Usage Meter on a 32 bit machine so now I need one on a 64 bit Windows 10 machine. I downloaded the latest version 6.6, click the file in the download folder and it appears to open and asks if it can make changes to the computer. Yes. It appears to install and places an icon amoung the other Windows programs icons. When the icon is clicked I get the message that I'm running version 6.5, do I want to upgrade. I allowed it to upgrade. The screen says the install is complete and the 'Run' box is checked. I click OK and I get a full screen of Youtube HD Congratulations on downloading Youtube hi def. Exit and uninstall the Usage meter to try again. Version 6.6 is downloaded again, make changes to the computer, install is complete, box is checked to run the program. It once again tells me I have version 6.5 do I want to upgrade. I say yes and this time I'm told 6.6 already exists, do I want to overwrite. Yes again. When install is complete the program should run but instead I get blue Windows background screen. I open 'all apps' to find two Usage icons. Clicking on one gets me the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes" screen. The other triggers the "Your location is currently in use" circle on the task bar. I went to that page and looked at it as if I knew what I was doing but that didn't fool it at all so I left it. I'm pretty much at a loss. I've uninstalled the program four times and downloaded it as many. I'm not proficient with Win 10 but I do know this shouldn't be happening. Any advice would be apprediated.

20 REPLIES 20
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm...  Try the following and let us know what happens?

1: Go to Settings > Apps & Features > Scroll down and uninstall any Hughesnet Usage Meter or Status Meters that may be present.
 - Settings can be found by clicking the Start Icon, then clicking the little gear icon in the menu above.
2: Navigate to C:\Program Files in This PC (formely called My Computer) then find and delete any Hughesnet Usage Meter or Status Meter that may be present.
3: Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86) in This PC (formely called My Computer) then find and delete any Hughesnet Usage Meter or Status Meter that may be present.
4: Delete any and all Installers that you have downloaded and make sure you download the latest version from 
5: Delete any and all icons you see related to the meters.
6: Download and install the latest version available here: http://download.statusmeter.hughesnet.com/HughesNet%20Status%20Meter%20Setup.exe

I followed your instructions but since I had two status meters icons show up on the start page I did a search and found copies in the download file and another copy somewhere else which I deleted. I got to the 'Completing' screen which has  the check box to 'run program now' which I ok'd and it went to a blank white screen with an empty address bar. I went to the start screen, clicked the meter icon and got the Win back ground screen that was completely blank with the exception of the 'location' circle on the lower right side of the task bar. Clicked on it 'go to location page' which is where I stopped. Still no meter but Task Manager says it's running. Any ideas?

If you're getting a location bar on the meter display or your default browser, it most likely means there's a problem in the way your computer is configured. The application should not look like a browser with an address bar, nor should it bring up a browser window. Almost seems as if your machine is either automatically trying to run the underlying html and/or javascript using default applications other than the Meter itself, or is blocking the underlying javascript from running entirely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

It doesn't look like a browser or present an address bar. Currently it's in the startup file and when the computer reboots an icon appears on the task bar. Task Manager indicates that it is running but when the Task Bar icon is clicked, I get the 'Your location is currently in use' message which turns into 'open location privacy settings' which I know absolutely nothing about. There is nothing on the screen other than the task bar. Everything else on the task bar opens like it should.

After looking into the 'location' issue, I don't believe that has anything to do with the meter. I searched the harddrive for all instances of either meter and deleted everything. Reloaded a new copy of 6.6 and it went through the whole process of 'allow changes' and finally 'do you want this to run' which I did. Once again I get an icon on the task bar which does nothing with clicked. Task Manager says it's running or it's listed but using zero memory or cpu resources which seems normal for such a small program.  I open to all kinds of ideas.

@dfbeck wrote:

... it went to a blank white screen with an empty address bar.

Sorry... I must have misunderstood what you meant by "address bar."

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dfbeck

The following is separate from Corrosive's instructions, which you should follow:

That YouTube thing concerns me.  What kind of antivirus program do you have on your computer?  Where did you download the new Usage Meter from (I downloaded the latest version 6.6)?  

Do you have Malwarebytes installed on your computer?  If not, you might want to think about installing it and running a scan.  The free version will give you a 14 day trial of the full version (I don't know if there's a way to opt out of this), but it's a very good program.  Again, that YouTube thing concerns me, like you might have malware on your computer.  

That YouTube screen is suppose to be fairly innocuious albeit annoying. I've had it come up several times over the last couple of years and had information on it's purpose but I can't find it now. I think the fact that it poped up while I was doing something else is simply coincidence. To be on the safe side I run Spyhunter 4 on one machine and ESET Internet Security on the other. I run full scans every 3 days since one machine allowed a scum bag group that high jacked my browser. I don't normall wish bad befall anyone but in their case I'll make an exception. After scans neither of them recognized the YouTube 'commercial' as anything nefarious. 

I am in the process of following Corrosive's instructions, now for the third time. I checked all those locations and deleted any offending files but in the process of a search I located 5 more files in the download directory so I'm going to give it another shot.

GabeU

@dfbeck wrote:

That YouTube screen is suppose to be fairly innocuious albeit annoying. I've had it come up several times over the last couple of years and had information on it's purpose but I can't find it now. I think the fact that it poped up while I was doing something else is simply coincidence. To be on the safe side I run Spyhunter 4 on one machine and ESET Internet Security on the other. I run full scans every 3 days since one machine allowed a scum bag group that high jacked my browser. I don't normall wish bad befall anyone but in their case I'll make an exception. After scans neither of them recognized the YouTube 'commercial' as anything nefarious. search I located 5 more files in the download directory so I'm going to give it another shot.

Even if it's not nefarious, it still shouldn't be doing that.  An ad popping up on a webpage is one thing, but one popping up on your desktop is another.  And, though it may only seem like adverstising, these sorts of things often contain some type of spyware or something similar. 

If you feel like it, I would check your installed programs and make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be, like some type of advertising program.  I would also download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner.  

Everyone's different, but when it comes to my machine anything that runs on it that I haven't installed or isn't preinstalled by Microsoft would drive me nuts until I found it and erradicated it.  

Wtih that said, I do hope you get your Usage Meter issue figured out.  

I'm not very happy about someone directing advertizing, or worse, to my ip. Its a sinister, personal, attack aimed directly at me. I do run a deep scan when ever this shows up but the only result has been the same old reoccurring two spyware programs that change their ips to make it harder to block them. I don't recall the names at the moment but they are delivered in cookies which I don't like to accept but it the price paid for access to some programs. I've never found any residual from this Youtube page and I've tried to find any evidence.

By coincidence, I ordered a product from an online business in Texas early this week and on the day it was sceduled to arrive I received an email that there was a problem with my order. I called the company, got an answering machine, left a message, and within a hour she called me back. Explained the email to which she asked if I used Ebay or Amazon. Nope, Paypal at which she explained that someone had hacked purchases made with these services, sent an email to the buyer telling them there was a problem with the card they used and they had to get the information again, like now, over the phone.  Name, card number, expire date, everything. This was the first time I've had this scam tried but there's been enough other ones to make me extremely leary about doing business over the 'net. Only reputable venders get my business.

At the moment my deeper concern is exceeding my Hughes data as I still have no way of viewing the Usage meter. I still have 50 percent and the month is 3/4 gone but once it resets it easy to get behind.

Appreciate your concern over the Youtube issue. If I do find anything else on it I'll be sure to pass it along.

GabeU

@dfbeck

Do you have CCleaner installed on your computer, and if so, have you run it after uninstalling the previous meter and deleting the folders, but before installing the new meter?  I'm wondering if there may be some type of error being caused by conflicting, left over registry files.

I dl Ccleaner, ran it, still no meter. Deleted Java, reinstallled, deleted meter, reinstalled. Still goes to a blank screen whether it's clicked on home page or in task bar. Out of options.

Javascript is not the same as Java. Deleting and reinstalling Java does nothing for Javascript.

However, some security settings block the use of Javascript. Might want to check to see if any of your default browser, IE or Edge have Javascript disabled.

I meant Script, just didn't type it but thanks. I just got off the phone with a Hughes tech(?) who put me on hold and then told me Windows 10 is not capatable with the Usage Meter! I'm more than a bit upset after screwing with this for 12 hours now and have someone tell me that. If that's true there will be more people upset that 10 isn't capatable than with the fact that XP isn't. I'm going to start another thread to see what response to this I get.

As far as the meter is concerned, I've unistalled/reinstalled many times and end with the same result: double click the meter on the home page and it clears the screen. Click 'finish' at the end of reinstall and it clears the screen and puts 2 meters in 'task manager'. Deleting one or the other makes no difference. Under 'settings' there is only one meter listed as well as under the control panel. Under 'apps and features' there is only one shown, a circle with a percent sign. The second meter is the older one that just displays the useage in the outer edge. I'm at a loss but thanks for your advise.

Mmmm, you don't install Javascript. It's a browser component.

And as far as the tech saying it's not compatible with Win10... wut?

Do you have any idea how many people on here are running it on Win10?

And just for the sake of saying so, you do realize you now have added a public topic with a title that's blatently untrue.

You can't imagine my frustration when the Hughes tech lady told me the meter was not compatable with Win 10. At that point I realized I was just plain s.o.l. You can't argue with those people. I even had to get a list of Windows operating systems to make sure 10 wasn't some kind of throw back, a really weird trick Bill Gates did for a laugh. And that added to my error on the Java issue. I had read on one of these pages something to the effect that Java had something to do with this which, of course, was in error. Which is my blatantly untrue title? If it was on the issue of Win 10 and meter incompatibity, I qualified that, sort of, with the question marks, or should have. I really was told it was not compatible. Once I was told that my loss of signal was due to a 'sun outage', when the satellite is in direct line between the sun and the dish, except I was calling at 2:45 am. Maybe the call center was in Kuala Lumpur. What do I know? I can't see what I wrote without leaving this page and who knows if I'd find my way back or it would be ruled incompatible. At any rate, I'm in the process of deleting the meter(s) again. I need to get it working before I exceed the data limit.

One other thing that occurs when I go to delete the meter is that Windows tells me the meter is running and needs shut down before it can proceed so it's there, somewhere, in the ethereal plane of transistors, resistors, diodes, whatnots, and ones and zeros. I just need to find someone who can coax it out without me having to purchasing another operating system.

Oh, in my frustration I over looked the little 'ABC' on the top of the page. Good, one less thing to worry about. Don't want to appear illiterate as well as ignorant. Thanks.

GabeU

@dfbeck wrote:

I meant Script, just didn't type it but thanks. I just got off the phone with a Hughes tech(?) who put me on hold and then told me Windows 10 is not capatable with the Usage Meter! 

What the tech told you is complete and utter nonsense, and I'm sure the thousands and thousands of people out there successfully using the Usage Meter with Windows 10 would beg to differ.  

I don't know why the tech would have told you this.  

I made the mistake of not asking her to repeat her name since I couldn't understand it when first said. At any rate, I was more than a little miffed but I worked in the cable industry for 20 years and I know exactly why she said it. She didn't know the answer so she turned to the closest representative to her who didn't know the answer either. It wasn't included in the script they follow to the letter so they wing it. "I don't think it's compatible" is what she was told so that's what she told me. I have heard cable reps tell a customer their receiption issue was a result of the Challenger disaster and it might not be fixed until another shuttle flew. I won't have gotten so churned up if I hadn't been dealing with this issue for hours and hours. I just hope anyone else with the same issue will follow up with any rep that says Win 10 isn't compatible.

I got it working but I don't know exactly how. I just tried everything everyone advised and it showed up in hidden icons. Just wanted to say thanks in case it was something you suggested.