cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Glasswire to determine a "Leak" (in this case a gusher)

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Using Glasswire to determine a "Leak" (in this case a gusher)

You got it.  I see that with the paid version you can see a year's worth.  The free version gives a month.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

On a sort of related story, I noted recently that the WiFi light on my DSL router was always flashing, except when I turned off my only known WiFi device which is a DirecTV Genie.  Then the WiFi light was dark.  I was worried that this was another data leak, and connected that WiFi through my Linksys WRT1900AC router which tracks bandwidth to each client.  Despite its WiFi light also flashing like crazy, it showed zero bandwidth.  Based on this, I let it connect via the Hughesnet modem overnight and that also showed zero utilization.

It's possible that the Genie was just "talking" at that point, sending out heartbeat messages to stay connected, but not utilizing any noticeable amounts of data.  

If possible, though, I would keep that Genie connected to your DSL as it can use data when you are aren't looking, and a lot of it.  There's really no telling what it will do.  When someone only has Hughes, they recommend that one doesn't connect a DirecTV receiver at all.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The Genie is unfriendly in its menu.  I have found no option to disconnect the WiFi.  To disconnect it, I had to change the WiFi password on the router for around 24 hours before the Genie would give up trying.

If you go into advanced setup and hit Reset Network I believe that it resets everything back to factory specs, with regard to the network connection, and it will not longer be connected.  Go to Settings and Help, choose Setting, Internet Setup, then Advanced Setup.  Then choose Reset Network.  

The Genie is only allowed to connect to the DSL router via WiFi.  It is not physically located near an RJ45 port.  I Googled and found others had received $1300 bills from Verizon.
I have a second older receiver connected via RJ45 to Hughesnet and not have had any observable utilization except when I did something deliberate like a "program on demand".

The Genie is my wife's, and she is almost always recording something.  I went as far as you suggested, and then got a warning that it would take some time and would disrupt any recording while it was doing it.  A happy wife is a happy life.

A happy wife is a happy life.
ABSOLUTELY!!!  LOL.  

Well, give it a try when nothing's going to be recorded for a while.  

For the period that the Genie was connected to the Linksys to Hughes, the Genie discovered and mated with my HR22 receiver which was also connected by RJ45.  Suddenly all of the recordings on my machine appeared on her machine.  This was around 11:30pm and life was approaching its endpoint.

It sounds like they have some type of syncing like Windows.