With permission, I'd like to start a new thread about GlassWire if I may. Now this isn't really about Hughes, because I have two ISPs, and the event that I am going to describe briefly here was when I was connected with my uncapped and no limit DSL (but Hughes upload/download speed is higher).
I purchased GlassWire Pro around 4 months ago (I think Amanda suggested Glasswire Free), and I was recently looking back at the history. I was astonished to find an upload of 750GB (yes gigabyte, and about 10 months of Hughes quota) that as far as I was concerned was unauthorized, unknown, and went to an unknown destination. Basically, it was my network drive that my personal data drive is backed up on regularly, using Acronis 2016. Since then, there have been additional uploads after an incremental backup is performed.
I have tried real hard to sort this out including posting at Microsoft, but I have run out of gas and ideas. One I want to stop it, and two I would like to know where it came from.
Glasswire indicates that the App is "System", the Host is my Seagate 41257D network attached drive, and the Traffic Type is Microsoft-DS Active Directory.
Microsoft told me to disable the Microsoft-DS Active Directory service, but I didn't find any such service to disable. This is Windows 10.
And this is relevant to Hughes because of the frequent complaints about data leaks.
Gabe has already suggested some possible leak to the Cloud. Certainly fits this IMO, but I have always said NO! to Cloud services and have not been able to find any signs of this on my computer. I haven't found any services that would fit, and also have looked at the Scheduler and haven't found anything. So far, it hasn't run often, but when it does it is fast and furious. The uploads seem to be tracking the backups to the Seagate drive in both size and frequency.
I posted on the OneDrive forum site, but was told that OneDrive doesn't use Microsoft-DS Active Directory. I also didn't sign up for OneDrive, but Microsoft did it anyway. The OneDrive folders on my computer are empty, as are the folders on my OneDrive account (that I said NO to).
It is an Ethernet external 3TB drive that I use only for backups. I don't think the Glasswire report was on the same date but I can check that, and will. Glasswire shows downloads and uploads, and what it is reporting is a 750 GB upload. The 750 GB value is similar to the size of the full backup. So let me go check this and get back. Hopefully this is just a misinterpretation on my part of the Glasswire reports.
Not that I did intentionally. I just plugged it into the switch a year or more ago, and it did what it wanted through the 8.1 "upgrade" and the win10 "upgrade".
Last week I learned that I had to map the drive with Windows navigator in order to see the usual directory numbers (utilization).
If Glasswire is just reporting a transfer from my internal drive to my Ethernet attached external drive, then all is well. I am trying to confirm the size and dates now.