cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PC Matic as my virus/Malware protection

Highlighted

Using PC Matic as my virus/Malware protection

I am using PC Matic as my virus/Malware protection. It is a SAS provider. They download new configurations several times per day. I have no control of when that happens. Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Advanced Tutor

Re: Using PC Matic as my virus/Malware protection

Have you asked PC Matic about this?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

JUNK. Use Malwarebytes (get from CNET downloads, uncheck the "enable free pro trial" option.

Associate Professor

CNET is another website that is bundling what is essentially adware into packages these days.  If you must get MalwareBytes, get it from the authors website.  https://www.malwarebytes.org 

I;ve never received any adware from CNET, but the product site is probably OK also.
Associate Professor

"probably ok"?  I would certainly hope so since it's the authors page and not a third-party, that aside, many people used to trust SourceForge, but lately virtually everything that comes from there also has adware bundled in.  Though, I guess most people don't consider things like OpenCandy to be Adware these days since they bend over for even M$ to probe em. Smiley Happy

Sorry to say, but if you can get the software from the author, you are better off than a third party that can do anything they wish to a software package.
Honorary Alumnus

Marty,
There are many people, myself included, that consider PC Matic to be somewhere between a scam and snakeoil.
I suggest that you do a Google search of PC Matic's reputation and draw your own conclusion.
There are other A/V's out there that offer free or low cost versions and have a much better reputation.

+1 for Malwarebytes as a malware scanner.
Always download software straight from the publishers own site rather than from a third part part site because as Charles stated sometimes you get more included with your download than you bargained for and download.com is one of them.
It is said that sourceforge has learned the error of their ways but that had really tarnished their reputation.

The people have spoken.

Marty, you may want to consider other a/v programs out there, there are some good free ones available. If you decide to stick with PC Matic, you should check with PC Matic support regarding scheduling their auto-updates.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->