cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VPN

Highlighted
New Poster

Using VPN

I was told when I placed my order that VPN would work for me.  I wouldn't get the 25 mbps speed with it, it would be about 1/2 but it should work.  NOT

I only got this service because I need VPN for work and I was on a 1.5 mbps service and figured 10 mbps would be a lot better.  

I should have done a lot more research, but 2 sales reps and 2 technicians all told me it should work for me.  "Satellite service has really improved"

I have been trying to contact Hugesnet to see about cancelling service, but I keep getting pushed around, disconnected, stuck on hold for over an hour.  

I called the other night and all they would do is set me up for a technician to come out and the technician was supposed to be here Saturday at 8 am.  No calls, noone showed up.  when i called today i have a service ticket but no technician is assigned.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Using VPN

They told you it works because it does for some people, though not everyone has the same experience.  Should you have done more research? Yes.

Cancellation can only be done by phone, 866-347-3292. You may want to try in the morning, as they're likely to be less busy. You can also try 877-329-1403. Either way, plan for long waits.  Cancellation carries a penalty, so research that as well. 

The HN reps on this site can check the tech issue for you. They're here M-F during business hours, 

ConnieD wrote:

I was told when I placed my order that VPN would work for me.  I wouldn't get the 25 mbps speed with it, it would be about 1/2 but it should work.  NOT

I only got this service because I need VPN for work and I was on a 1.5 mbps service and figured 10 mbps would be a lot better.  

I should have done a lot more research, but 2 sales reps and 2 technicians all told me it should work for me.  "Satellite service has really improved"

I have been trying to contact Hugesnet to see about cancelling service, but I keep getting pushed around, disconnected, stuck on hold for over an hour.  

I called the other night and all they would do is set me up for a technician to come out and the technician was supposed to be here Saturday at 8 am.  No calls, noone showed up.  when i called today i have a service ticket but no technician is assigned.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ConnieD 

Though a VPN can work with HughesNet, there can be issues, including with the speed, as you mentioned.   The following gives the caveats concerning using a VPN with HughesNet, with the inclusion that "HughesNet Technical Support does not provide help with configuring or troubleshooting problems associated with VPN clients."  This doesn't mean that people can't or won't help you on here, as they certainly can if they feel they can offer such, but only that HughesNet themselves don't cover such.  That they had scheduled a tech visit because of the VPN issue is quite surprising, to be honest.

http://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/can-i-run-vpn-over-hughesnet

Though you can certainly continue trying to get it to work, my recommendation is to start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section and request a sales call review.  If it's determined that appropriate expectations were not set by the sales representative you may have recourse concerning the Early Termination Fee when cancelling the service.  You can start the new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section here.  If you want to cancel the service, I would most definitely start the new topic and make this request.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Good morning Connie,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I was able to pull up your account and review your case notes, looks like the tech attempted reaching out to confirm the site visit. Currently it's tentatively set for the 23rd. 

This community is geared towards residential customers, so as a business customer, our business support line can best assist you with any further concerns: 800.347.3272

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.