Hughesnet Community

Using my own router (Airport Extreme) with Ht2000w modem?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trailhggersarah
New Poster

Using my own router (Airport Extreme) with Ht2000w modem?

Hello all,

I'm a brand new HN customer - living on our rural dream-land in our off-grid full-solar tiny house 🙂

I've researched aplenty on here about slow Gen5 speeds at night and lack of 5GHz support. I'm looking to prevent those issues by using my own router, a brand new Airport Extreme, to use with our 2 MacBook Pros (2017 & 2015 models), and 2 iPhone 7s, and Smart TV with Apple TV.

Our HN package:
Gen5

50 GB plan
Ht2000w modem
Hughesnet Voice subscription

InnoMedia Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA)

My question: Which port do I physically connect the Airport Extreme to? and on which device - the Ht2000w modem or the ATA?
- Is it the Green LAN port on the ATA?
- Or is it a specifc LAN port on the Ht2000w modem?

Note: I've learned I need to first disable the Wifi on the HN Ht2000w, and have already located where to do just that.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. 
Cheers! Sarah

3 REPLIES 3
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It doesn't matter which port on the back of your HT2000w you hook the Apple Airport to, just don't put your ATA in the middle (modem > ata > router).  I would also suggest setting the Apple Airport up in Bridge Mode if at all possible.

As far as lack of 5Ghz on the HT2000w... It's there, and should be fixed as of the most recent software updates.  Or are you not seeing the 5Ghz band at all on your devices?

But yeah, if you are throwing your own router into the mix, disable the Wifi radios on your HT2000w so that they aren't broadcasting and causing interferance, and consider setting the router you chose (if it's possible) into bridge mode so you don't end up in a tripple NAT...  Not that it would really hurt much of anything, it's just a bad practice to have so many laters ot NAT.

Also, make sure you disable any cloud backup services your apple gear might have, @MarkJFine could help greatly in providing some assistance with that if needed.

What he said... 💯

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

trailhggersarah wrote: 

I've researched aplenty on here about slow Gen5 speeds at night and lack of 5GHz support. I'm looking to prevent those issues by using my own router, a brand new Airport Extreme, to use with our 2 MacBook Pros (2017 & 2015 models), and 2 iPhone 7s, and Smart TV with Apple TV.

If you do happen to experience slowdowns in evening, using a different router won't have an effect.  That's not to say you shouldn't use your own router, but only that evening slowdowns won't be improved by doing so.  With that said, hopefully you won't experience very much of it.