Usually I'm in Germantown, MD ....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert Hoffman
Freshman

Usually I'm in Germantown, MD ....

But the last few weeks I have been in Indianapolis, Denver and today I got located in Los Angeles! Could this have anything to do with my data being eaten up faster than usual?  We have not been here very much, but the data suggests otherwise.  This morning there was a windows update which I started by 6 am and it was complete and my computer was rebooted by 7 am.  My son downloaded a 58 second video also before 8 am. I have paid a few bills online since 8 am.  My status meter at 6 am read 33% remaining, and now I am down to 26% remaining.  UGH!!

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

What are you referring to when you say that you have been located in different areas?

How would you being in different areas have any effect on your home internet's increased data consumption?

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

What are you referring to when you say that you have been located in different areas?

How would you being in different areas have any effect on your home internet's increased data consumption?

I wonder if the OP is referring to the IP address? 

maratsade

"This morning there was a windows update which I started by 6 am and it was complete and my computer was rebooted by 7 am.  My son downloaded a 58 second video also before 8 am. I have paid a few bills online since 8 am."

Are you tracking your data usage with something like Glasswire?  That would help you see where data's going.  The Windows update may have been close to 3 or 4 GB.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@Robert Hoffman wrote:

But the last few weeks I have been in Indianapolis, Denver and today I got located in Los Angeles! Could this have anything to do with my data being eaten up faster than usual?

Robert may be referring to the "location services" of some visited websites. Example, go to Lowes.com and it selects a store location near where it thinks you are located.

No Robert, this will not increase your data usage. This due to Hughes having Dynamic IP addressing.

As to increased data usage, do you have the HT2000w wifi modem or have your own router?

Can you post a description of your network devices and operationg systems?

GabeU

Hmmm.  IP address and location services are possibilities.  When I signed up with Topix it automatically had my hometown set as Barnesville, OH or something like that.  It was driving me nuts that I couldn't set my home town correctly until I finally asked why it was doing that and found out.  

Either way, though, like mentioned, it wouldn't make any difference on data usage.