cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly confused about data usage

Highlighted

Utterly confused about data usage

So, I've been having this strange problem since about August. Before I thought it was my high-speeds (20Mbps), but it didn't make sense based on how my data was going down.

I stream a lot of live videos whenever I can. I watch it at the lowest setting and it tells me its running somewhere between 150-250Kb/s. I noticed a really strange problem where the first week of the new month, it seems to not drain my data at all when I stream videos. Downloads do count though. I watch my program that monitors my data usage and after watching about 10 days of video for many, many hours, it says I used well over a couple GB's. Yet, my data hardly ever drops except maybe 100Mb's every 3 days or so.

Then today, I go to watch videos and I watch my program and data limit. According to both, I'm now getting charged for what I'm ACTUALLY using. My data drops 100Mb's every hour about, just as it says on my monitoring program.

I'm not complaining about the seemingly "free" data I get for a few days, but why does it suddenly drop off and I start getting charged for what I use? It seems to almost accelerate as it gets later and later in the month, which makes even just normal surfing eat up tons of MB's for no apparent reason. Is there some sort of grace period at the beginning of the month I'm not aware of?

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Utterly confused about data usage

Good morning Zlash,

Thanks for posting, we want to address your concerns. There is no monthly grace period at the start of the month. Where exactly are you checking your data allowance? The Status Meter program or in the support center?

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Assistant Professor

I have noticed the same thing. It is like the usage doesn't kick in for a bit after refill, maybe a whole day, then it will start registering. Then when it gets closer to the next refill date, especially if low on allowance or in token usage, it actually starts draining more than what is really being used. Really noticeable with videos as Zlash said.
I thought it may sort of balance out as it is not registering as much in the beginning, then more at the end, but maybe not.
I now have a router which lets me see what is being used by each device so if I see this happening I will try to get some good screen shots to show it.

I check it at 192.168.0.1

Even stranger, it started doing it during the day yesterday but at night it didn't. Watched videos for 6 hours and it never moved an inch.

Thanks for letting us know, Zlash. We will send this up to our engineers for further investigation and post back once we have any updates or additional questions.

sgoshe, we would greatly appreciate your input on this plus your screenshots if you experience this again.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Assistant Professor

I need to start monitoring and taking screenshots because it just happened. 
Finished watching two TV shows on YouTube that were 42 minutes each at 360p definition mp4 files. Probably about 250-300 MB each. I started at 13% allowance left, after watching, still at 13%.
Not complaining there naturally but sometimes just the opposite happens. Watch two shows totaling 500 MB and get 1GB deducted.
It is random and confusing.
Why do I have bad feeling about opening a bucket of worms here?
I do use a third party app to watch YouTube most times because it allows me to set definition to 360p. Again, sure hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot.
Was nice watching two 42 minute shows today with no deduction in usage.  

Interesting. Opposite happened to me just recently too. Hughes Meter told me I used over 100Mb's but my program said I only used 60Mb's. Nobody else is online, either. Also kinda high for just surfing forums for less then an hour, I think. I'll take screenshots next time it happens too so we both have proof.
Assistant Professor

I am going to monitor closely and document for the next week as I'm close to going into token use and the last week of allowance month. Seems to be the time when it gets really screwy.

Im having trouble too. Same trouble.http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html This link will explain slow connection as solar storms cause a lot disruption. My usage isnt being displayed properly either. I use the customer support. I also unplug the network cable at the end of each session. they should just run straight up service, they get paid enough. No tokens , meters, it confuses people.