cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly confused about data usage

Re: Utterly confused about data usage

Thanks you two, the more proof we have, the better case we can make for the engineers. We're also running our own tests here to try to reproduce your experience and add on to our case to send up. We'll keep you posted!

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Daytime data is draining just way too fast. Makes it hard to keep up on all of it, on top of having to waste my data to prove a point. I've somehow managed to use 2 Gb's in the past 3 days when I'm the only one who really uses it. All I've done is surf, look at forums, eBay, etc. Hardly and videos. Heres a few pics.

Reset at 10:19 PM:

34 Minutes later...

Reset it at 10:53 PM, then less than an hour later:

The only time anyone else in my house was using it, was in the 3rd picture where they used their tablet to send me Paypal. Which I dont think took over 50Mb's to do. And just for laughs, heres what it does at night time:

Started it at 2AM, when my Bonus kicks in:

5 hours later:

Only moved 100Mb's that whole night.

Now, I'm not trying to tell Hughes to fix the night time, or whatever is going on where I seem to use less data. I'm wanting them to get to the bottom of WHY I've used 2Gb's in 3 days when all of my meters show me not using anything close to that before it drops. But, now that I posted I'm getting "free data", it'll be patched within 2 days. God forbid we get to use our internet without our heart rates hitting 120 because we're worried about the meters.

As THOUSANDS have ever said, data is too small to do ANYTHING with a normal house-hold computer. I know cell phones that have bigger data packages then this crap does. There's too much to look out for on a computer. Things that randomly update, viruses or bugs, programs that decide to update themselves for whatever reason even though you tell them not to, the list goes on. And I have literally no other choice. No other providers, no 4G. Only thing I have is to wait for a port to open with AT&T which only happens when someone drops them.

Hello Zlash,

We hear you--regarding the data allowance in this day and age where the internet is more content-rich than ever, it's challenging to manage. Rest assured that our management is aware of subscribers' evolving needs, and are working to meet those needs. Should there be any updates on data allowance and/or plans, you will surely know.

In the meantime, we can help you try to find out what's using your data. To start, we'll focus on the HughesNet modem. I've sent you tokens to help with troubleshooting; please follow the steps below:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

As you already know, there are countless factors that can use your data Here's a list in case there's something you might have forgotten. There's a link towards the end of this list for another list that could be helpful:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook
or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

To help you monitor your data usage and other performance metrics, we’ve gathered resources for you here, which also includes community
recommendations: http://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/track_your_usage_performance_speeds_and_view_tips_....

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Associate Professor

If you look closely Liz, the system doesn't count 400MB that he DID use at one time period, then another time period it seems to count more than he is using...  Something is very wrong if the system isn't counting data usage at the proper time...
Assistant Professor

I'm still trying to get snips when this happens but it so random it's hard to catch. Will keep trying. 

Thanks, Charles and sgoshe. We want to get to the bottom of this as well. Unfortunately, I have no updates from the engineers yet regarding my initial report about these inconsistencies, but I'll keep pressing. I'll also be on the lookout for your screenshots, sgoshe, thanks again.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Assistant Professor

I'm trying Liz, I think it knows I'm watching.  Smiley Happy

Heres something I found even MORE interesting. I went to bed around 1am last night, and I reset the GlassWire meter before I did like always. I left my laptop on and found that I somehow used 53Mb's by just letting my computer idle. Here's what I got:

As you can see, I went through Glasswire and selected the IE tab to see what used so man Mb's. I had 3 windows open at the time. A regular webpage, a picture, and the Hughes status meter. Now what is that?! Is it telling me the Hughes  meter is wasting my data by having it open?! I'm beyond confused now.

I'm convinced it is. Less then 5 minutes later of posting the picture it moved from 35-36Mb's.
Highlighted

Hi Zlash, Technically speaking every webpage you visit is going to use data in the form of the upload it takes to recieve the info as well as the download it takes to display it. Your SCCpage http://192.168.0.1/ runs in realtime constantly refreshing the info to give you the latest download statistics. Now that is not saying that hughes is necessarily counting the data from that page against you or at least all of it. They have compression techniques in place that is supposed to cut out a lot of the overhead...

Since SCC is rounded to the nearest 100 Mb the only way to no for sure exactly how much hughes took during that time from would have been to check the meter located here
http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com  for an exact number difference in Mb lost as it displays like this

Instead of the rounded amount... Glasswire is a great third party tool to show you what passes through your terminal and where it went unfortunately hughes does not have a chart of data taken displayed AFTER the compression takes place to compare it too, you must watch the meter for that info...( They do have a recorded chart but it displays info BEFORE the compression takes place).    I hope that helps and doesn't just confuse the heck out of you Smiley Happy