Utterly confused about data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
momuv7
Freshman

Utterly confused about data usage

I need to know if I should up my data package so keep checking the data meters. They are all resting on a daily basis so I have no idea how much data I am using. Right now we have the 20 which I think will be too low.
We watch Netflix a few times a week and grandkids YouTube an hour a day. Then general browsing and emailing daily.
13 REPLIES 13
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@momuv7, check Mark's reply here.

Thank you. For some reason when I did the first question it kept denying the posting so I started over and rewrote it. Both inquiries went through so I became that lady that looked like she was over anxious. Oh well, I got great help with both!

EdV
Sophomore

@momuv7 wrote:
I need to know if I should up my data package so keep checking the data meters. They are all resting on a daily basis so I have no idea how much data I am using. Right now we have the 20 which I think will be too low.
We watch Netflix a few times a week and grandkids YouTube an hour a day. Then general browsing and emailing daily.

Movuv7:

I think this will work for you, it did for me when I was in my first 20 days on Gen5.  Open the Hughesnet usage meter (the one you installed on your computer) and hover the mouse pointer over a data point on the graph line.  The data usage for that day will show above the graph.  You will have to add up the daily usage to get the total to date.  Hopefully, this will work for you too.

See attached pic.

Regards,

EdV

HNET Usage.jpg

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U

Daily meter.jpg

What I am finding confusing is on the daily meter chart on days it says I have used 9 gb the meter only drops a bit. Why doesn't it drop down 9 gb? 

Sometimes it resets every 24 hours, sometimes it resets every hour. It depends upon what adjustments they are making to your service during the 20-day period. Accordingly, that method isn't going to be very accurate.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

...if what I saw in that picture had any accuracy, you will wipe your data out in a few days.

I highly suggest trying to set Netflix or any other streaming service for the lowest possible resolution, and realize that Satellite Internet isn't meant for the cord cutting streamer crowd...  While streaming works, it eats data, and can eat a lot.

@momuv7

I think the line on the graph WILL NOT reflect a downward trend for the amount of data actually used during the 20 day reset period.  That's because the resets occur at different times during the day, and the graph line is useless to show any trend during the 20 days.  But, based on my experience during my 20 day reset period, the amount of usage shown by the method I posted above was accurate.  The actual amount of data used, is still recorded, but the graph line is inaccurate due to the constant replenishment up to your data limit.  I found the amount of usage show to be accurate for my use.  The replenishment of data doesn't change the amount of data you actually used which is shown when you hover over the daily data point on the graph.

Hope that helps you out.

EdV

...as long as you know that:

1. The amount shown at the top is the total of all Bonus and Anytime usage. For most people, the Anytime usage is what's critical, not Bonus. Many people, like myself, do all the "heavy lifting" (app updates, game console downloads, etc.) prior to 8am to take advantage of that extra 50GB for the month. It doesn't tell you which part is part of that.

2. The total amount is 100% inaccurate for the current day. It only reflects the amount when the system was polled the first time that day and never updates throughout the day.

That's why I recommended they add a Daily graph that dynamically updates to the history chart: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Recommendations-for-next-version-of-Usage-Meter/m-p/...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The screenshot shows almost 8 GB used on a single day August 30th, download plus upload. At that kind of usage then once the data starts counting towards monthly allowance you will blow through it in short order.

Bottom line, can't stream as much video as you want 24/7 even at low definition regardless the plan.

As explained before, the first 20 days your use will reset each day as if you've used nothing.

did i really use 7 plus GBs in one day????  what the heck is going on??? wish i could tell what i downloaded and from where that ate that much data!!!

GlassWire can do this for you. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@MarkJFine

...as long as you know that:

1. The amount shown at the top is the total of all Bonus and Anytime usage.

@MarkJFine

That's a good point!  I guess I didn't consider that.  But, in my case, my usage was very minimal during the bonus hours.  In the case where there is High activity during the bonus hours, and you were trying to "gauge" your usage during the 20 day period to determine if you should upgrade your plan, then your usage would be overstated by the bonus hours amount.  Worst case, you might upgrade when you really didn't need to, but that would only be an issue if you used a significant amount of bonus data.

One might say your reply was right on the "Mark"!

Good Job!

EdV

Thank you for your help! My daughter and her husband have been living with us over the summer waiting for their Army officer training to start this next week. They have been packing and watching Netflix all day long. Since I am not sure when the grace period will be ending I put a stop to all Netflix watching for now. There a 200 dvds they can choose from so I don't feel bad. We are 5 miles out of the small town we live near (2,500 people) and are blocked in by hills and trees which eliminate any line of sight options. We have had the only dsl available but Frontier couldn't care less about our tiny market when they keep buying the rights to large cities. They just keep adding people onto the service without increasing data avaible. Our data was unlimited but speeds were usually well under 1 mbps download, think .25 mbps. We are literally 30 ft from the limit of how far the dsl can be used from the service transfomer. We couldn't attach a .doc to an email at those slow speeds. I have been avoiding signing up on Hughesnet because of the data limit but trying to do any business transactions (3 home based businesses) that rely on internet use took priority. Grandkids can watch dvds or PBS for their alloted hour of screen time. So far with Hughesnet we are able to access the internet as needed unlike the dsl which rarely worked.